Patient Comments: Sleep Apnea - Effective Treatments

What kinds of treatments have been effective for your sleep apnea?

Comment from: Mark, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: June 05

I was diagnosed with central sleep apnea by a specialist without the sleep study as it is not available in my country. The doctor prescribed Nuelin SA Tablets made by 3M which in the first few weeks was like a wonder drug. I went from working a 2 - 3 hour day to being able to work a 12 hour plus day. However after 4 months now I am struggling a bit again, not sure if it is stress or that my system has adjusted. If anyone has tried any other medication or life style changes to help I would greatly appreciate the information. I am male, 38. I don't drink or smoke and the only other issues I have are slow pulse 50 to 60 beats a minute and I suffer from migraine headaches.

Comment from: dmoore, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 05

I had a sleep study several years ago and was told I had Sleep Apnea and had 50 per minute. I was given a machine and sent home. I cannot sleep with this machine. I feel like I am drowning and gasp for breath. The constant air through my nose dries out my sinus and causes bleeding and pain. I am the only one who cannot use this machine.

Comment from: PatiO91, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 13

I am overweight, and I was having problems sleeping. My new pulmonary doctor had me go through this horrible sleep test, which was so uncomfortable that I don't think anyone could have slept. Afterword, they told me I had sleep apnea. I am now on my fifth CPAP mask, and I still can't sleep comfortably. In fact, when I wear the mask, I am more miserable than I was before. Most of the time, I end up throwing it off after an hour or so. My nose gets ice cold (even though I have raised the heat level to 4), and my mouth gets horribly dry. Many times I wake up choking and scaring my poor husband. What is really strange is that my once-medicated blood pressure problem has gone away. I no longer am on blood pressure medication. I'm at my whit's end.

Comment from: Nancy J, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 22

Five years ago, I was exhausted to the point of sleeping almost all day. I was 54, not overweight, didn't have a thick neck, in other words I didn't fit the profile. My doctor was amazed by this. I thought my allergies were causing this excessive sleepiness. My doctor tested for allergies and set up a sleep apnea test. I ended up with severe sleep apnea, woke up 44 times an hour with no REM sleep. I have a CPAP machine and literally couldn't live without it. It only took three days to get use to it. I have to have it adjusted to go higher because at first I could only tolerate up to 10. Now I'm up to 15 for the last four years. I am exhausted again, so I am seeing my doctor to see about adjusting it again. While researching why my daughter was sleeping 16 hours a day, I found that diabetics (which she is) are more prone to sleep apnea. We had her tested right away and it was positive. Hers was not obstructive, and she does not have it anymore. I'm not having surgery, and I don't mind the mask at all. You must think of the consequences. It's a small price to pay to live an active live. We need more education on sleep apnea because people do not realize the risks of having it, and it can be stopped easily. Others in the sleep apnea test walked out and went home without finishing it. I can't imagine they really knew what they were doing to themselves and their families. Whether you fit the profile, get checked. It could be worth your life.

Comment from: Yellowbirdie, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 08

I just discovered I have severe sleep apnea. I am 39 years old and my blood pressure is 150/100 with medication. I found out I generally stop breathing for 28 seconds, and the longest is 35 seconds. The doctor has yet to talk to me until I am done with the CPAP test.

Comment from: cna4it, 45-54 Male Published: February 23

My fiancé has sleep apnea. I'm concerned about him not getting enough sleep. He claims he uses his bi-pap unit at night before he goes to bed, but I have witnessed him taking it off after sleeping for four to six hours. I believe he needs a better fitted nasal mask, but he tells me the mask is OK. I say different because the sounds of air leakage around the mask it can't be a good seal.

Comment from: Ed, 45-54 Male Published: February 13

I used to suffer from severe obstructive sleep apnea. I stopped breathing 50 times an hour. I had UPPP surgery five years ago, and it's the best thing I ever did. My quality of life improved drastically. Now my wife can get a good nights sleep since I no longer snore.

Sleep Apnea - Symptoms Question: What were your sleep apnea symptoms?
Sleep Apnea - Experience Question: Were you or your partner diagnosed with sleep apnea? Please share your experience.