Patient Comments: Sleep Apnea - Symptoms

What were your sleep apnea symptoms?

Comment from: scooter, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 29

I was diagnosed with mild to moderate obstructive sleep apnea 5 years ago. I'm female, was not obese, but was peri-menopausal. I began having panic issues while trying to sleep. It happened on 4 consecutive nights upon which I took myself to the emergency room (the 4th night). In addition, for about 3 to 5 years I had an episode just about every night where I would be awakened and feel like I had been run over by a freight train. I didn't associate it with sleep apnea, but it could definitely have been the atrial flutter that showed up on a Holter monitor in this same 'sleep study' timeframe. Cut to the chase, it took another approximately 3 months to get a full night sleep study. Before that I had had a 'take-home' type study that confirmed sleep apnea. I was prescribed CPAP therapy, which I use religiously. I don't nap unless I can access my machine. Doctors should routinely screen for this at least if a woman reports any sleep problems whatsoever, including insomnia. At the very least, a portable/wearable recording pulse oximeter could be worn for one or several nights. It would go a long way to helping a lot of people. I'm getting a 'tune-up' soon with a sleep specialist because I'm not feeling like I'm getting the full benefit of the CPAP therapy. And some health issues have surfaced that are tied to sleep apnea, but I am wanting to find out if this is the particular case for me.

Comment from: Duncan c., 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: January 14

I was tested for sleep apnea and had a sleeping machine with nasal tubes. I slept better and had a more quality sleep, but the hospital took it back because they said I only stop breathing 12/14 times a night. My sleep pattern is bad feel so tired and snoring is really bad.

Comment from: Chrisypots, 19-24 Male (Caregiver) Published: February 07

My son, who has the condition of cerebral palsy, was very hard to wake up from sleep. He would be limp as a rag doll and could not be awakened. We could see that he was taking extremely shallow breaths when he would be in this state. His coloring was never good either. He always looked pale to me for weeks before his diagnosis. Finally, after two ICU stays, we got the diagnosis of central sleep apnea. I cannot even tell you the difference that the apnea machine has made. My son has a life again because of it! Getting used to it did take some time but it has made a huge difference in his quality of life. Unbelievable!

Comment from: laura, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 30

My son and other relatives are really worried about my snoring especially when I stop breathing and gasp for air. I am awaiting a sleep study but cannot get in for consultation until October. Today a friend told me that her sister's boyfriend died in his sleep last night due to sleep apnea. This really scares me.

Comment from: charlene, 65-74 (Patient) Published: November 26

I have had sleep apnea for years now. It was diagnosed by my daughter who said I snored all night and she told me I stopped breathing. I had the sleep study and started using my machine. I spent another weekend with my daughter who said I snored all night with my CPAP on. I went back to doctor, turned it up to 16. Last time I spent with my daughter she said no more snoring. I go on vacation with it and would not sleep without it.

Comment from: RHONDA M., 3-6 Male (Caregiver) Published: October 19

I had a car accident in 1985 and I was critically injured. I had broken arm, crushed pelvis, and a hematoma that was ignored because I developed a staph infection which they never could determine where it came from. It lies dormant and returns.

Comment from: SpecialK, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 30

I have had sleep apnea for 5 years now and use a CPAP machine. It has helped me so much. I suggest that you take your machine in to the doctor and have them adjust the air pressure. It may not be set at the right number and so, not allowing you to get enough oxygen which will cause you to have fatigue, headaches and all kinds of problems. Don't know if that's the problem, but I'd almost bet it is! Good luck!!

Sleep Apnea - Effective Treatments Question: What kinds of treatments have been effective for your sleep apnea?
Sleep Apnea - Experience Question: Were you or your partner diagnosed with sleep apnea? Please share your experience.