Patient Comments: Sleep Apnea - Symptoms

What were your sleep apnea symptoms?

Comment from: lyle, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 26

I was stung by a scorpion on the stomach this morning. There is pain at the sting site. I have been stung by scorpions several times over my life. I no longer fear being stung. In fact, I have noticed recently that I feel better and stronger, after being stung. The same is true for me with wasps and bee stings. I suppose there is an endorphin effect or something. At any rate, I have been walking around with super powers this morning following the sting. I have heard of bee venom therapy, but never scorpion sting therapy. This is a typical scorpion found in Texas.

Comment from: scooter, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 29

I was diagnosed with mild to moderate obstructive sleep apnea 5 years ago. I'm female, was not obese, but was peri-menopausal. I began having panic issues while trying to sleep. It happened on 4 consecutive nights upon which I took myself to the emergency room (the 4th night). In addition, for about 3 to 5 years I had an episode just about every night where I would be awakened and feel like I had been run over by a freight train. I didn't associate it with sleep apnea, but it could definitely have been the atrial flutter that showed up on a Holter monitor in this same 'sleep study' timeframe. Cut to the chase, it took another approximately 3 months to get a full night sleep study. Before that I had had a 'take-home' type study that confirmed sleep apnea. I was prescribed CPAP therapy, which I use religiously. I don't nap unless I can access my machine. Doctors should routinely screen for this at least if a woman reports any sleep problems whatsoever, including insomnia. At the very least, a portable/wearable recording pulse oximeter could be worn for one or several nights. It would go a long way to helping a lot of people. I'm getting a 'tune-up' soon with a sleep specialist because I'm not feeling like I'm getting the full benefit of the CPAP therapy. And some health issues have surfaced that are tied to sleep apnea, but I am wanting to find out if this is the particular case for me.

Comment from: Duncan c., 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: January 14

I was tested for sleep apnea and had a sleeping machine with nasal tubes. I slept better and had a more quality sleep, but the hospital took it back because they said I only stop breathing 12/14 times a night. My sleep pattern is bad feel so tired and snoring is really bad.

Comment from: Chrisypots, 19-24 Male (Caregiver) Published: February 07

My son, who has the condition of cerebral palsy, was very hard to wake up from sleep. He would be limp as a rag doll and could not be awakened. We could see that he was taking extremely shallow breaths when he would be in this state. His coloring was never good either. He always looked pale to me for weeks before his diagnosis. Finally, after two ICU stays, we got the diagnosis of central sleep apnea. I cannot even tell you the difference that the apnea machine has made. My son has a life again because of it! Getting used to it did take some time but it has made a huge difference in his quality of life. Unbelievable!

Comment from: Suzanne, Published: May 30

I have multiple sclerosis and my bone density is now worsening. I have had fractures after physical trauma and strenuous physical repetitive work. I take a high dose of vitamin D.

Comment from: RHONDA M., 3-6 Male (Caregiver) Published: October 19

I had a car accident in 1985 and I was critically injured. I had broken arm, crushed pelvis, and a hematoma that was ignored because I developed a staph infection which they never could determine where it came from. It lies dormant and returns.

Sleep Apnea - Effective Treatments Question: What kinds of treatments have been effective for your sleep apnea?
Sleep Apnea - Experience Question: Were you or your partner diagnosed with sleep apnea? Please share your experience.