Patient Comments: Sleep Apnea - Symptoms

What were your sleep apnea symptoms?

Comment from: Chrisypots, 19-24 Male (Caregiver) Published: February 07

My son, who has the condition of cerebral palsy, was very hard to wake up from sleep. He would be limp as a rag doll and could not be awakened. We could see that he was taking extremely shallow breaths when he would be in this state. His coloring was never good either. He always looked pale to me for weeks before his diagnosis. Finally, after two ICU stays, we got the diagnosis of central sleep apnea. I cannot even tell you the difference that the apnea machine has made. My son has a life again because of it! Getting used to it did take some time but it has made a huge difference in his quality of life. Unbelievable!

Comment from: charlene, 65-74 (Patient) Published: November 26

I have had sleep apnea for years now. It was diagnosed by my daughter who said I snored all night and she told me I stopped breathing. I had the sleep study and started using my machine. I spent another weekend with my daughter who said I snored all night with my CPAP on. I went back to doctor, turned it up to 16. Last time I spent with my daughter she said no more snoring. I go on vacation with it and would not sleep without it.

Comment from: SpecialK, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 30

I have had sleep apnea for 5 years now and use a CPAP machine. It has helped me so much. I suggest that you take your machine in to the doctor and have them adjust the air pressure. It may not be set at the right number and so, not allowing you to get enough oxygen which will cause you to have fatigue, headaches and all kinds of problems. Don't know if that's the problem, but I'd almost bet it is! Good luck!!

Comment from: Mark, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: February 08

I finally went for the sleep study after years of living with constant exhaustion and mind fog. The study showed I stopped breathing 152 times during the five hours I actually slept. My oxygen levels were falling into the upper 60% range so they put me on a CPAP. The CPAP caused a feeling of claustrophobia on each exhalation and the study didn't go well. On the second study they put me on a BPAP instead and it worked great! My pressure is at 20/16 but I feel amazing. I notice better mood, better cognitive function, better decision making and my leg swelling is even getting better. I was used to the mask and pressure in a couple of days so it might be worth talking about BPAP with your doctor if you struggle with the CPAP.

Comment from: John, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: December 13

My sleep apnea symptoms were waking up and basically being very short of breath or even gasping for air at times. I would wake up a lot at night and when I finally had my first sleep study they told me I stopped breathing 86 times in a one hour span. I also noticed that I often felt dehydrated and I believe this was due to breathing with my mouth open during sleep. I ultimately had my tonsils removed and a deviated septum in my nose fixed and I feel 100 percent better now and my sleep has improved dramatically.

Comment from: Jo, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 25

I occasionally catch my breath when I am asleep. I am not sure if it is sleep apnea or not. I have not timed how long I stop breathing. I do have problems settling down again after the event but am not sure if it is worsened by my thinking about it. I am a bit overweight and I have scoliosis which makes me shorter.

Comment from: Kupkak, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 14

I awaken at night and my heart begins to pound. After a short while it regulates itself and I sleep again, sometimes. Sometimes, I prefer to stay awake because I don't want to experience the heart pounding. My throat feels extremely dry, also. My doctor tells me I have a deviated septum. I had the test for sleep apnea twice, the home study. But they don't think I have sleep apnea even though I stopped breathing a few times. Hopefully, I will get some help soon.

Sleep Apnea - Effective Treatments Question: What kinds of treatments have been effective for your sleep apnea?
Sleep Apnea - Experience Question: Were you or your partner diagnosed with sleep apnea? Please share your experience.