Patient Comments: Sleep Apnea - Symptoms

What were your sleep apnea symptoms?

Comment from: rugman, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: December 10

I had no problem taking the sleep apnea test, and now have the CPAP machine. I used it about a week, and now it causes me to gasp for air, and I have to take it off. What am I doing wrong?

Comment from: levilamb, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: August 31

My husband was diagnosed with sleep apnea about 6 years ago with oxygen. His problem is that he keeps getting mouth sores (like canker sores) in his mouth and sometimes they are really bad. I just hate it for him because they are very painful. He has tried all sorts of medicine and nothing seems to work. He sleeps with his mouth open in the mask and we think maybe it's a result of his mouth drying out from the air that's blowing into his mouth.

Comment from: db5280, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 12

Waking up like I didn't sleep at all. Palpitations, sweats about the neck, chest and back areas, dry mouth. I even wet the bed a few times. Upon getting out of bed, I would feel weak and fatigued with a woozy, off-balance feeling that carried on throughout the day until bedtime and then all symptoms would start over the next day. I was fatigued to the point of tears. Waiting to be fitted for CPAP mask. Hoping and praying for great results. Life is too short to go on this way. Good Luck to you.

Comment from: Nelson, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: July 25

I woke up at about 3am and wasn't breathing at all. I didn't know what had happened. I was gasping for air and didn't know how to start my breathing back. This happened to me three times before I got tested for sleep apnea.

Comment from: cindy, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 16

I struggled for 5-6 months to learn how to sleep with the mask. I stuck with it and today am enjoying my 7 grandchildren. I can run, play and stay awake all day. Please people use your cpap. You will adjust, and your lives and others will be saved. Cut the excuses. It is your LIFE after all. Get real. We are so lucky to have machines that save lives.

Comment from: macca, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: July 21

I suffer from severe apnea been tested and in one hour I stop breathing 44 times an hour, been suffering now for three years and no better, I manage some nights to get 2 hours sleep and no more. The hospital tries to blame me for not wearing my cpap which I always wear but after 2 hours I am awake and no longer tired.

Comment from: fibrofemale, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 18

Overwhelming fatigue, diagnosed with fibromyalgia for 15 yrs prior to this latest sleep apnea/hypopnea. Finally reluctantly but gladly using CPAP machine with nasal pillows (type of mask) even traveled with it recently - it is doable to have better quality sleep. Still tired though; still have ibromyalgia, as well as diagnosed restless legs syndrome X 15 years too. Don't know why I wasn't put through this sleep study years ago. Hope it is being offered more often.

Comment from: sleepwell, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 25

I didn't really have any idea that I had this, until my friend was telling me I stopped breathing at night and she would give me a little shake to get me to breathe again. I went to see a specialist, which they told me I stopped breathing 96 times a night and that my oxygen went way below normal. Now, I wear a CPAP every night.

Sleep Apnea - Effective Treatments Question: What kinds of treatments have been effective for your sleep apnea?
Sleep Apnea - Experience Question: Were you or your partner diagnosed with sleep apnea? Please share your experience.