Patient Comments: Sleep Apnea - Symptoms

What were your sleep apnea symptoms?

Comment from: John, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: December 13

My sleep apnea symptoms were waking up and basically being very short of breath or even gasping for air at times. I would wake up a lot at night and when I finally had my first sleep study they told me I stopped breathing 86 times in a one hour span. I also noticed that I often felt dehydrated and I believe this was due to breathing with my mouth open during sleep. I ultimately had my tonsils removed and a deviated septum in my nose fixed and I feel 100 percent better now and my sleep has improved dramatically.

Comment from: levilamb, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: August 31

My husband was diagnosed with sleep apnea about 6 years ago with oxygen. His problem is that he keeps getting mouth sores (like canker sores) in his mouth and sometimes they are really bad. I just hate it for him because they are very painful. He has tried all sorts of medicine and nothing seems to work. He sleeps with his mouth open in the mask and we think maybe it's a result of his mouth drying out from the air that's blowing into his mouth.

Comment from: db5280, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 12

Waking up like I didn't sleep at all. Palpitations, sweats about the neck, chest and back areas, dry mouth. I even wet the bed a few times. Upon getting out of bed, I would feel weak and fatigued with a woozy, off-balance feeling that carried on throughout the day until bedtime and then all symptoms would start over the next day. I was fatigued to the point of tears. Waiting to be fitted for CPAP mask. Hoping and praying for great results. Life is too short to go on this way. Good Luck to you.

Comment from: Jo, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 25

I occasionally catch my breath when I am asleep. I am not sure if it is sleep apnea or not. I have not timed how long I stop breathing. I do have problems settling down again after the event but am not sure if it is worsened by my thinking about it. I am a bit overweight and I have scoliosis which makes me shorter.

Comment from: Kupkak, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 14

I awaken at night and my heart begins to pound. After a short while it regulates itself and I sleep again, sometimes. Sometimes, I prefer to stay awake because I don't want to experience the heart pounding. My throat feels extremely dry, also. My doctor tells me I have a deviated septum. I had the test for sleep apnea twice, the home study. But they don't think I have sleep apnea even though I stopped breathing a few times. Hopefully, I will get some help soon.

Comment from: Nelson, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: July 25

I woke up at about 3am and wasn't breathing at all. I didn't know what had happened. I was gasping for air and didn't know how to start my breathing back. This happened to me three times before I got tested for sleep apnea.

Comment from: cindy, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 16

I struggled for 5-6 months to learn how to sleep with the mask. I stuck with it and today am enjoying my 7 grandchildren. I can run, play and stay awake all day. Please people use your cpap. You will adjust, and your lives and others will be saved. Cut the excuses. It is your LIFE after all. Get real. We are so lucky to have machines that save lives.

Comment from: rugman, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: December 10

I had no problem taking the sleep apnea test, and now have the CPAP machine. I used it about a week, and now it causes me to gasp for air, and I have to take it off. What am I doing wrong?

Sleep Apnea - Effective Treatments Question: What kinds of treatments have been effective for your sleep apnea?
Sleep Apnea - Experience Question: Were you or your partner diagnosed with sleep apnea? Please share your experience.