Sleep Apnea Awareness
Sleep Apnea Symptoms and Warning Signs
The symptoms of sleep apnea may include:
- daytime fatigue and sleepiness,
- poor concentration and attention,
- memory problems,
- headaches, and
- difficulty performing work duties.
Sleep apnea may lead to frequent awakening of the bed partner resulting in insomnia and its associated symptoms.
Obstructive sleep apnea can also be associated with long-term complications if not diagnosed and treated properly. Some of these complications may include:
- high blood pressure (hypertension),
- ischemic heart disease (poor blood flow to the heart),
- heart attack,
- heart failure,
- irregular heart rate,
- pulmonary hypertension (elevation of blood pressure in blood vessels of the lungs), or
- even death.