Patient Comments: Sleep - Problems Experienced

What sleep problems have you experienced?

Comment from: Sig08, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: November 13

I think my sleeping problems have been since I was about 8. My dad's ex-girlfriend used to give me, my brother, and her little girl NyQuil every night before bed. I was hooked on NyQuil, and until about four years ago, I was still hooked. My husband and grandmother helped me to get off of that. Then, I was unable to sleep. So my mother-in-law gave me a muscle relaxer one night. I started taking Tylenol PM every night after that. Just recently I found out that I may be addicted to the Tylenol. I know it has the potential to kill my liver, but I need something. The situation at my house, the stress of my husband losing his job, the extended family living with us, my desire to succeed and potentially move up in the company I work for, and going to school online may be accompanying all the stress I feel. I realize that may be making it hard for me to fall asleep. I'm going to try these helpful hints on here, then go to my doctor. I'm trying so hard to not take anything. It's so hard though. I feel depressed a lot of the time, and I try to hide it. I wanted to tell this story to possibly help others.

Comment from: Kimber, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 21

Years of medications for various medical conditions have interfered with my sleep. I have tried everything from the homeopathic (melatonin) to Lunesta, Rozerem and Ambien and Ambien CR. I added a feather bed to my mattress. I've been cranking the air conditioning down and enjoying a hot bath before bed. On days in which I exercise for one to two hours, I have to do so in the morning. Late night exercise "wires" me. No caffeine after 3 p.m. No heavy meals past 6 or 7 p.m. No alcohol within five hours of sleep, if possible. Turn out the lights to set the body clock. I take Ambien CR and one mg of Xanax. I'm also using a product called "Snore Stop" for snoring and have seen a huge improvement in my REM sleep. As you can see, I have tried everything. The exercise and nutrition components seem to affect me the most.

Comment from: Tiredsleepymeannana, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 07

I have had insomnia for many years. I have tried everything: I have read all the books and tried all the over-the-counter things and prescriptions. I've also tried all the herbs and teas, no TV, yes TV, walking, reading, a fan — nothing works! Sometimes it works for a little while, but then it doesn't work. I now take Ambien CR. I fall asleep after about an hour, but I wake up two or three hours later, then sleep a while and wake up again. When I do this, I am tired all day and not a nice person.

Comment from: Rager, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: March 14

I can"t seem to get awake. I want to sleep all day and night.

Comment from: Iodine, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 29

I am a 62-year-old woman and have just recently started having sleep paralysis. It scares me to death; when it happens I think I am dying. I fight to move, and eventually, I am able to move my body parts and wake myself up.

Comment from: lil miss, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 12

After I fall asleep my boyfriend has been waking me up. I either start laughing and fall back to sleep but usually I get very angry. I never remember being woken up or what I do. My boyfriend is very troubled by this to the point where he is afraid to wake me because I am so mean. How do you fix a problem you can't remember? Thank you.

Comment from: Nicholas, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: June 08

I am a 69-year old male who, despite retiring as a professor in Education 4 years ago, continue as a consultant at the university I taught at for 34 years. Although I have always "talked" in my sleep, the situation has now become almost ludicrous! I actually give an entire lecture whilst sleeping, my wife waking up and taking notes - just to prove to me that I am actually talking in my sleep. This "lecture" (so I am told) can take nearly 10 minutes or more. What is even more 'frightening' is that I talk myself awake and even insist on answers to the questions I ask. Please is this a case of having a very active mind? I have no trouble in actually falling asleep once I retire to bed.

Sleep - Treatment Question: Please discuss any treatments you have tried for your sleep problems.
Sleep - Deprivation Symptoms Question: Besides lack of sleep, what other symptoms have you experienced with sleep deprivation?