Patient Comments: Sleep - Problems Experienced

What sleep problems have you experienced?

Comment from: Green Eyes, 65-74 Female (Caregiver) Published: July 08

I have chronic insomnia. Ambien really helped me, however after sleep walking at 2 AM and leaving my house, my doctor would not prescribe Ambien again. Since then, 2 years ago, I have tried so many prescriptions and over the counter items, to no avail. I took an on line CBT I (cognitive behavioral therapyfor insomnia) class which I feel made my sleep problems worse. I cannot fall asleep, I go 3 nights without sleep and no naps during the day. I can easily fall asleep around noon, but do not allow myself to nap. After 2 nights without sleep, I do not drive, I am not alert enough. I desperately need help. I am 72 and who knows how many years I have left. Insomnia is robbing me of my enjoyment of life.

Comment from: Sig08, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: November 13

I think my sleeping problems have been since I was about 8. My dad's ex-girlfriend used to give me, my brother, and her little girl NyQuil every night before bed. I was hooked on NyQuil, and until about four years ago, I was still hooked. My husband and grandmother helped me to get off of that. Then, I was unable to sleep. So my mother-in-law gave me a muscle relaxer one night. I started taking Tylenol PM every night after that. Just recently I found out that I may be addicted to the Tylenol. I know it has the potential to kill my liver, but I need something. The situation at my house, the stress of my husband losing his job, the extended family living with us, my desire to succeed and potentially move up in the company I work for, and going to school online may be accompanying all the stress I feel. I realize that may be making it hard for me to fall asleep. I'm going to try these helpful hints on here, then go to my doctor. I'm trying so hard to not take anything. It's so hard though. I feel depressed a lot of the time, and I try to hide it. I wanted to tell this story to possibly help others.

Comment from: ruth, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 02

I have sleep apnea and have a problem with a good night's sleep. I am thinking of taking Ambien or melatonin.

Comment from: Kimber, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 21

Years of medications for various medical conditions have interfered with my sleep. I have tried everything from the homeopathic (melatonin) to Lunesta, Rozerem and Ambien and Ambien CR. I added a feather bed to my mattress. I've been cranking the air conditioning down and enjoying a hot bath before bed. On days in which I exercise for one to two hours, I have to do so in the morning. Late night exercise "wires" me. No caffeine after 3 p.m. No heavy meals past 6 or 7 p.m. No alcohol within five hours of sleep, if possible. Turn out the lights to set the body clock. I take Ambien CR and one mg of Xanax. I'm also using a product called "Snore Stop" for snoring and have seen a huge improvement in my REM sleep. As you can see, I have tried everything. The exercise and nutrition components seem to affect me the most.

Comment from: Tiredsleepymeannana, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 07

I have had insomnia for many years. I have tried everything: I have read all the books and tried all the over-the-counter things and prescriptions. I've also tried all the herbs and teas, no TV, yes TV, walking, reading, a fan — nothing works! Sometimes it works for a little while, but then it doesn't work. I now take Ambien CR. I fall asleep after about an hour, but I wake up two or three hours later, then sleep a while and wake up again. When I do this, I am tired all day and not a nice person.

Comment from: Rager, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: March 14

I can"t seem to get awake. I want to sleep all day and night.

Sleep - Treatment Question: Please discuss any treatments you have tried for your sleep problems.
Sleep - Deprivation Symptoms Question: Besides lack of sleep, what other symptoms have you experienced with sleep deprivation?