Patient Comments: Sleep - Problems Experienced

What sleep problems have you experienced?

Comment from: hardsleeper, 25-34 Male Published: August 21

I have been working a regular 9-5 job for years. When the weekend comes around, I find myself unable to sleep on a Friday night. When everybody else goes to sleep, I am still awake sometimes until 3 or 4 in the morning. When I do get to sleep, I sleep until the middle of the afternoon. This will cause me to be tired Monday morning and through the week. I try and relax on the weekends and get to bed at a good time, but I just find myself lying awake.

Comment from: Mick, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: August 07

Since having a heart attack, my sleeping patterns have become very erratic. I take a mild sedative at night, and it makes me a little dizzy. Some nights I sleep for four or five hours. Other nights I'm lucky to get three.

Published: June 20

When I tried to go to bed I found myself completely awake laying there and ended up not getting to sleep until in to the morning hours. I would sleep in the afternoons and felt like I couldn't get myself up and about until I had work. When I tried to balance sleeping I again just couldn't fall asleep. And have been trying to cope with a drowsy feeling all day. Overall I just felt like I had just woke up all day but couldn't get a satisfying rest.

Comment from: Ystryjesus, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 04

I am 36 years old and from what I understand I have talked in my sleep off and on for years. It is now affecting my marriage to the point of divorce. My husband is saying that I call names of other men. I have never cheated on my husband and I do not have any desire to. He feels that there must be some source that allows me to call names of others and not his. I do not know what to do. Is there any preventative measures I can take. I do not want to lose my husband.

Comment from: Beverly, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: June 04

Four years ago I woke in the night in terror. I thought I was dying. I felt like I was being suffocated and the walls were closing in. It passed after about 10 or 15 minutes. It happened again about a year later and then about once a year until this year I woke gasping for breath and jumped out of bed in panic. The other feelings crept in also. Two nights later I awoke in panic again with a feeling of suffocation. I was so frightened I called my doctor for a complete physical exam which I will have in two days. I was afraid to go to sleep for two nights after the last episode. I hope the doctor can help me. I am 70 years old and have never had a problem before.

Comment from: rebann62, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 05

I am unable to sleep through the night, and if I do fall asleep, I will not be able to sleep the rest of the night. Between work and trying to take care of family, I feel like a zombie sometimes.

Comment from: Shawn, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: September 05

I have trouble staying awake during my classes, while working on homework, when I am driving, or watching TV or movies. Basically whenever I sit down and I am not physically active, I get very tired and start to fall asleep.

Published: July 28

I have no trouble falling asleep, but I wake numerous times during the night, mostly due to pain from arthritis. I am sleepy during the day. If I am busy, I don't feel sleepy. If I sit for very long, e.g. reading, watching TV, after meals, I will fall asleep. I believe this is affecting my whole life.

Published: July 22

I have not been getting enough sleep for years. I sleep only 3 hours a day, many times I tried to sleep early but all in vain I go to bed at 10 pm keep stay awake until 2 am. In the morning I feel like I will get sleep, but I have to get up to go to work. When I sleep too much thought comes in my mind.

Sleep - Treatment Question: Please discuss any treatments you have tried for your sleep problems.
Sleep - Deprivation Symptoms Question: Besides lack of sleep, what other symptoms have you experienced with sleep deprivation?