Patient Comments: Sleep - Problems Experienced

What sleep problems have you experienced?

Comment from: lil miss, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 12

After I fall asleep my boyfriend has been waking me up. I either start laughing and fall back to sleep but usually I get very angry. I never remember being woken up or what I do. My boyfriend is very troubled by this to the point where he is afraid to wake me because I am so mean. How do you fix a problem you can't remember? Thank you.

Comment from: Nicholas, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: June 08

I am a 69-year old male who, despite retiring as a professor in Education 4 years ago, continue as a consultant at the university I taught at for 34 years. Although I have always "talked" in my sleep, the situation has now become almost ludicrous! I actually give an entire lecture whilst sleeping, my wife waking up and taking notes - just to prove to me that I am actually talking in my sleep. This "lecture" (so I am told) can take nearly 10 minutes or more. What is even more 'frightening' is that I talk myself awake and even insist on answers to the questions I ask. Please is this a case of having a very active mind? I have no trouble in actually falling asleep once I retire to bed.

Comment from: Iodine, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 29

I am a 62-year-old woman and have just recently started having sleep paralysis. It scares me to death; when it happens I think I am dying. I fight to move, and eventually, I am able to move my body parts and wake myself up.

Comment from: Nancy, Published: December 01

I would sleep for days and still feel extremely tired. After two years of this with the associated problems mounting, I had a sleep study performed. Besides obstructive sleep apnea, it was also determined that I lacked any stage 3 or 4 of sleep, which is the very deep sleep that is most important! No wonder I was exhausted all the time!

Comment from: 65-74 Male Published: October 08

No matter what time I go to bed, I fall asleep fast, but I only sleep three or four hours, and I wake up feeling rested. After being up for two or three hours, I start feeling really tired, not sleepy. It's like this every day.

Comment from: thunderbolt, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: October 08

I have sleep apnea and got along well with a cpap for a while, but now it is not working well for me. The problem is not the machine (cpap). The problem is that it just doesn't have the same effect as when I first started using it. Also, I get blood clots in my sinuses. This is having adverse effects on my job performance. I am always tired and have had to leave work because it becomes a safety issue. Also my memory is not good. Note: I drive a cement truck.

Comment from: Bev, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 05

I have had a sleeping problem since I was 13 years old. I have now been diagnosed with chronic insomnia, bipolar disorder and hyperthyroidism. I do take medication for my sleep disorder. I fall asleep fast, but I always wake up within about three hours, and I have a hard time falling back asleep. I am exhausted all day, evening and night.

Comment from: Raynestone, 25-34 Female (Caregiver) Published: September 05

My son is 2 years old, and he still doesn't sleep through the night. I went to go see a neurologist because he has sensory integrations dysfunction. So she gave me a sleeping prescription for him. It's Chloral Hydrate, and he only takes it for a week to get off this sleep pattern that he has.

Sleep - Treatment Question: Please discuss any treatments you have tried for your sleep problems.
Sleep - Deprivation Symptoms Question: Besides lack of sleep, what other symptoms have you experienced with sleep deprivation?