Patient Comments: Sleep - Problems Experienced

What sleep problems have you experienced?

Comment from: Ystryjesus, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 04

I am 36 years old and from what I understand I have talked in my sleep off and on for years. It is now affecting my marriage to the point of divorce. My husband is saying that I call names of other men. I have never cheated on my husband and I do not have any desire to. He feels that there must be some source that allows me to call names of others and not his. I do not know what to do. Is there any preventative measures I can take. I do not want to lose my husband.

Comment from: Beverly, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: June 04

Four years ago I woke in the night in terror. I thought I was dying. I felt like I was being suffocated and the walls were closing in. It passed after about 10 or 15 minutes. It happened again about a year later and then about once a year until this year I woke gasping for breath and jumped out of bed in panic. The other feelings crept in also. Two nights later I awoke in panic again with a feeling of suffocation. I was so frightened I called my doctor for a complete physical exam which I will have in two days. I was afraid to go to sleep for two nights after the last episode. I hope the doctor can help me. I am 70 years old and have never had a problem before.

Comment from: Nancy, Published: December 01

I would sleep for days and still feel extremely tired. After two years of this with the associated problems mounting, I had a sleep study performed. Besides obstructive sleep apnea, it was also determined that I lacked any stage 3 or 4 of sleep, which is the very deep sleep that is most important! No wonder I was exhausted all the time!

Comment from: 65-74 Male Published: October 08

No matter what time I go to bed, I fall asleep fast, but I only sleep three or four hours, and I wake up feeling rested. After being up for two or three hours, I start feeling really tired, not sleepy. It's like this every day.

Comment from: thunderbolt, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: October 08

I have sleep apnea and got along well with a cpap for a while, but now it is not working well for me. The problem is not the machine (cpap). The problem is that it just doesn't have the same effect as when I first started using it. Also, I get blood clots in my sinuses. This is having adverse effects on my job performance. I am always tired and have had to leave work because it becomes a safety issue. Also my memory is not good. Note: I drive a cement truck.

Comment from: Bev, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 05

I have had a sleeping problem since I was 13 years old. I have now been diagnosed with chronic insomnia, bipolar disorder and hyperthyroidism. I do take medication for my sleep disorder. I fall asleep fast, but I always wake up within about three hours, and I have a hard time falling back asleep. I am exhausted all day, evening and night.

Comment from: Raynestone, 25-34 Female (Caregiver) Published: September 05

My son is 2 years old, and he still doesn't sleep through the night. I went to go see a neurologist because he has sensory integrations dysfunction. So she gave me a sleeping prescription for him. It's Chloral Hydrate, and he only takes it for a week to get off this sleep pattern that he has.

Comment from: hardsleeper, 25-34 Male Published: August 21

I have been working a regular 9-5 job for years. When the weekend comes around, I find myself unable to sleep on a Friday night. When everybody else goes to sleep, I am still awake sometimes until 3 or 4 in the morning. When I do get to sleep, I sleep until the middle of the afternoon. This will cause me to be tired Monday morning and through the week. I try and relax on the weekends and get to bed at a good time, but I just find myself lying awake.

Sleep - Treatment Question: Please discuss any treatments you have tried for your sleep problems.
Sleep - Deprivation Symptoms Question: Besides lack of sleep, what other symptoms have you experienced with sleep deprivation?