A number of vital tasks carried out during sleep help maintain good health
and enable people to function at their best. Sleep needs vary from individual to
individual and change throughout your life. The National Institutes of Health
recommend about 7-9 hours of sleep each night for older, school-aged children,
teens, and most average adults; 10-12 for preschool-aged children; and 16-18
hours for newborns. There are two stages of sleep; 1) REM sleep (rapid-eye
movement), and 2) NREM sleep (non-rapid-eye movement). The side effects of lack
of sleep or insomnia include:
Lack of sleep and insomnia can be caused by medical conditions or diseases,
medications, stress, or pain. The treatment for lack of sleep and insomnia
depends upon the cause.
Patient Discussions - Viewers share their comments
Headaches can be divided into two categories: primary headaches and secondary headaches. Migraine headaches, tension headaches,...learn more »
In This Article
- Headache definition and facts
- What is a headache?
- How are headaches classified?
- What are primary headaches?
- What are secondary headaches?
- What are cranial neuralgias, facial pain, and other headaches?
- 17 types of headaches
- What causes headaches?
- What causes tension headaches?
- What are the
signs and symptoms of tension headaches?
- How are tension headaches diagnosed?
- How are tension headaches treated?
- What causes cluster headaches?
- What are the symptoms of cluster headaches?
- How are cluster headaches diagnosed?
- How are cluster headaches treated?
- Can cluster headaches be prevented?
- What diseases cause secondary headaches?
- How are secondary headaches diagnosed?
- What are the exams and tests for secondary headaches?
- When should I seek medical care for a headache?
- How do you get rid of a headache? Are home remedies effective for headaches?
Bed bugs (from the insect family Cimicidae) are small, reddish-brown tick-like insects that feed by sucking the blood of mammals....learn more »
Pinworm infection is an intestinal infection caused by a pinworm, seatworm, or threadworm. Female pinworms leave the intestine...learn more »
Fatigue can be described in various ways. Sometimes fatigue is described as feeling a lack of energy and motivation (both mental...learn more »
In This Article
- Fatigue Facts
- Fatigue introduction
- What causes fatigue?
- What are the signs and symptoms of fatigue?
- How is the cause of fatigue diagnosed?
- What is the treatment for fatigue?
- Can fatigue be prevented?
Night sweats are severe hot flashes that occur at night and result in a drenching sweat. In order to distinguish night sweats...learn more »
In This Article
- Tonsillitis and adenoid infection definition and facts
- What are the tonsils and adenoids?
- What is the purpose of the tonsils and adenoids?
- What are the signs and symptoms of tonsillitis or an adenoid infection?
- What does tonsillitis look like
- Is tonsillitis contagious?
- What are common causes tonsillitis and adenoid
- Which specialties of doctors treat tonsillitis and adenoid infections?
- How are tonsillitis and adenoid infection diagnosed?
- What is the treatment for tonsillitis and adenoid infection?
- What natural or home remedies help soothe tonsillitis pain and inflammation?
- When should the tonsils and/or adenoids be removed
(tonsillectomy or adenoidectomy)?