A number of vital tasks carried out during sleep help maintain good health
and enable people to function at their best. Sleep needs vary from individual to
individual and change throughout your life. The National Institutes of Health
recommend about 7-9 hours of sleep each night for older, school-aged children,
teens, and most average adults; 10-12 for preschool-aged children; and 16-18
hours for newborns. There are two stages of sleep; 1) REM sleep (rapid-eye
movement), and 2) NREM sleep (non-rapid-eye movement). The side effects of lack
of sleep or insomnia include:
Lack of sleep and insomnia can be caused by medical conditions or diseases,
medications, stress, or pain. The treatment for lack of sleep and insomnia
depends upon the cause.
Patient Discussions - Viewers share their comments
Bed bugs (from the insect family Cimicidae) are small, reddish-brown tick-like insects that feed by sucking the blood of mammals....learn more »
Night sweats are severe hot flashes that occur at night and result in a drenching sweat. In order to distinguish night sweats...learn more »
Pinworm infection is an intestinal infection caused by a pinworm, seatworm, or threadworm. Female pinworms leave the intestine...learn more »
In This Article
- Pinworms facts
- Can humans get pinworms?
- What are the symptoms of pinworms
in children and adults?
- Who gets pinworms?
- How do you get pinworms?
- Can you get pinworms in the vagina?
- What do pinworms and
their eggs look like (pinworm pictures)?
- Which specialties of doctors treat pinworms?
- How is the tape test used in diagnosing pinworms?
- Are there natural or home remedies that treat pinworms?
- What medicine treats pinworms?
- What are the consequences if pinworms aren't treated?
- Can pinworms be prevented?
Anxiety is a feeling of apprehension and fear characterized by symptoms such as trouble concentrating, headaches, sleep problems,...learn more »
In This Article
- Generalized anxiety disorder facts
- What is anxiety?
- What are the types of anxiety disorders?
- What are anxiety symptoms and signs?
- What is generalized anxiety disorder (GAD)?
- How common is generalized anxiety disorder?
- Are other mental health diagnoses associated with generalized anxiety disorder?
- What are causes and risk factors for generalized anxiety disorder?
- How do health-care professionals diagnose generalized anxiety disorder (GAD)?
- What types of specialists treat generalized anxiety disorder?
- What is the treatment for anxiety?
- What are the side effects of anxiety medications?
- What are complications of generalized anxiety disorder?
- Is it possible to prevent anxiety?
- What is the prognosis of generalized anxiety disorder?
- Are there support groups for those with generalized anxiety disorder?
- Where can people find additional information on generalized anxiety disorder?
Fatigue can be described in various ways. Sometimes fatigue is described as feeling a lack of energy and motivation (both mental...learn more »
In This Article
- Fatigue Facts
- Fatigue introduction
- What causes fatigue?
- What are the signs and symptoms of fatigue?
- How is the cause of fatigue diagnosed?
- What is the treatment for fatigue?
- Can fatigue be prevented?