Trending Sleep Topics
Sleep apnea is a reduction or cessation of breathing during sleep. There are three types of sleep apnea. The most common is obstructive sleep apnea (OSA). OSA is caused by the collapse of the airway during sleep. There are many complications related to OSA. Treatments are surgical and non-surgical.
Related Disease Conditions
Bedwetting, or nocturnal enuresis, is the accidental passage of urine while asleep. There are two types of bedwetting: primary...
Hypersomnia is a condition where a person has excessive daytime sleepiness and trouble staying awake during the day. Treatment...
Insomnia (Symptoms, Causes, Remedies, and Cures)
Insomnia is the perception or complaint of inadequate or poor-quality sleep because of difficulty falling asleep; waking up...
Second Source article from Government...
Jet lag (desynchonosis) is a temporary disorder that results from travel across time zones. Symptoms include anxiety,...
Kleine-Levin syndrome is a rare sleep condition, primarily affecting adolescent males. Symptoms of Kleine-Levin syndrome include...
Narcolepsy (Definition, Symptoms, Treatment, Medication)
Causes of narcolepsy, a chronic disease of the central nervous system, have not been fully determined. Some theories include...
Night Sweats (In Men and Women) Causes, Remedies, and Treatments
Night sweats are severe hot flashes that occur at night and result in a drenching sweat. The causes of night sweats in most...
Periodic Limb Movement Disorder
Periodic limb movement disorder (PLMD) is a sleep disorder characterized by rhythmic movements of the limbs during sleep. The...
When sleepiness interferes with daily routines and activities, or reduces the ability to function, it is called "problem...
Sleep Disorders (How to Get a Good Night's Sleep)
A number of vital tasks carried out during sleep help maintain good health and enable people to function at their best. Sleep...
Insomnia Treatment (Sleep Aids and Stimulants)
Insomnia is difficulty in falling or staying asleep, the absence of restful sleep, or poor quality of sleep. Insomnia is a...
Sleep and Sleep Disorders in Children and Teenagers
Sleep needs in children and teenagers depend on the age of the child. Sleep disorders in children such as: sleep apnea,...
Sleep apnea is defined as a reduction or cessation of breathing during sleep. The three types of sleep apnea are central apnea,...
Sleep paralysis is a condition that causes a person to feel as if he or she is awake but is unable to move. Lack of sleep, sleep...
Sleep Related Breathing Disorders
Sleep-related breathing disorders are characterized by disruptions of normal breathing patterns that only occur during sleep....
Sleep: A Dynamic Activity
Second Source article from Government...
Sleepwalking (Causes, Symptoms, Treatment)
Sleepwalking is a condition in which an individual walks or does other activities while asleep. Factors associated with...
Snoring (Causes, Aids, Remedies, Solutions)
Snoring, like all other sounds, is caused by vibrations that cause particles in the air to form sound waves. While we are asleep,...
How to Stop Snoring Fast
Snoring is a condition in which during sleep, the tissues in the back of the throat vibrate as air passes over them. Home...
Multimedia: Slideshows, Images & Quizzes
Sleep Better, Conquer Insomnia
What is insomnia? Are you an insomniac? Learn 10 tips on how to get a good night's sleep and avoid sleep disorders such as...
20 Tips to Beat Insomnia and Sleep Better
Good sleep hygiene leads to better sleep. Avoid insomnia and sleep better by minimizing stress, exercising, and taking proper...
Bed Basics: How to Get Your Best Sleep Ever
Sleep. It seems like the easiest thing in the world. Until it's not. See tips on how to get your best sleep. Our gallery shows...
The 14 Most Common Causes of Fatigue
Always feeling tired? Learn more about the causes of fatigue. Get tips to relieve symptoms of fatigue. Feel less tired and start...
Sleep Disorders: Foods That Help Sleep or Keep You Awake
Need more shut-eye? Your late-night cravings could be keeping you from a good night’s sleep. Should you drink green tea before...
Health & Balance: Don't Make These Morning Health Mistakes
Your morning routine can set the tone for the rest of your day. So don’t do these things when you get up!...
Insomnia Quiz: What Is Insomnia?
Insomnia affects all age groups, and is the most common sleep disorder in the world. There also seems to be a link between...
Jobs That May Ruin Your Sleep
Some jobs can lead to sleep problems like insomnia, especially for graveyard and other shift work. Learn how work can disrupt...
Sleep Cycle: What Happens When You Sleep
Sleep is a mystery to many of us, but scientists know quite a bit about how it affects us. Here's what happens to your body when...
Sleep Disorders: Insomnia, Sleep Apnea, and More
Learn about the different types of sleep disorders such as insomnia and sleep apnea. Explore the symptoms, causes, tests and...
Sleep Health: 20 Facts About Your Biological Body Clock
Biological clocks control much of human biology, including aging, hormones, sleep, fertility, and seasonal cycles. The body clock...
Sleep Quiz: Sleep Hygiene & Sleep Facts
Take our Sleeping Quiz to learn which sleep disorders, causes, and symptoms rule the night. Trouble falling or staying asleep?...
Sleep: What Are the Best Sleeping Positions?
What is the best sleep position? Do you dream of sleep that does not aggravate back pain, neck pain, snoring, arthritis, or sleep...
Sleepless? Know the Signs of Sleep Deprivation
Think you may have sleep deprivation? Whether short term or long term, sleep deprivation can cause trouble. From weight gain to...
Treatment & Diagnosis
- 10 Tips to Avoid Insomnia and Get a Good Night's Sleep
- 8 Tips on How to Relax and Sleep When Stressed
- Ambien: Sleeping Pill FAQs
- Sleep: Are You Sleep Deprived?
- Sleep: At The Wheel With Sleep Apnea!
- Chloral Hydrate Uses and Risks
- Circadian Rhythm Disorders (Symptoms and Treatment)
- Progressive Muscle Relaxation
- Sleep Apnea Symptoms
- Trouble Sleeping? Insomnia May Be Why
Medications & Supplements
- armodafinil (Nuvigil)
- Benzodiazepines (Benzodiazepine Drug Class)
- Benzodiazepines vs. Ambien
- caffeine (Enerjets, No Doz, Vivarin)
- chloral hydrate - oral
- eszopiclone (Lunesta)
- Hypnotics (for Sleep)
- zolpidem (Intermezzo)
- modafinil (Provigil)
- ramelteon (Rozerem)
- Sodium Oxybate (Xyrem)
- triazolam (Halcion)
- zaleplon, Sonata
- zolpidem (Ambien)
- zopiclone (oral tablet)
Prevention & Wellness
- 'Rock-a-Bye' You, for Better Sleep?
- A Slam Dunk: Late-Night Tweets Harm NBA Players' Performance
- After a Spouse's Death, Sleep Woes Up Health Risks
- Beware of Drowsy Driving as Daylight Saving Time Begins
- Catching Up on News About Catch-Up Sleep
- Disrupted Sleep Plagues Hospital Patients, But New Program Might Help
- Do Long Doctor Shifts Hurt Patients? Study Says No
- Do You Know Your 'Body Time'?
- Drowsy Driving as Risky as Drunk Driving
- Easing Sleep Apnea May Be Key to Stroke Recovery
- Even When You Think You're Not Sleepy, Your Car Crash Risk Rises
- For a Healthier Heart, Stick to 6 to 8 Hours of Sleep
- Health Tip: Find the Best Places to Nap
- Health Tip: Improve Your Sleep Habits
- Health Tip: Managing Insomnia
- Health Tip: Understanding Periodic Limb Movement Syndrome
- Health Tip: Recognize Signs of Sleep Deficiency
- Health Tip: Speak With Your Doctor if You Aren't Sleeping Well
- Health Tip: Suggestions For a Better Night's Sleep
- Help for When You're Wide-Eyed at 3 a.m.
- Here's Something to Sleep On
- Here's How Sleepless Nights Can Trigger Weight Gain
- Insomnia May Be in Your Genes
- Leave Tablets, Smartphones Out of the Bedroom for Better Sleep
- Medical Marijuana May Not Help Your Sleep Apnea: Experts
- Regular Bedtime Might Be Key to Better Health
- Scientists Developing Blood Test for Drowsy Driving
- Sleep Apnea May Be Linked With Alzheimer's Marker
- Sleep Apnea Might Raise Odds for Painful Gout
- Sleep Apnea Often Missed in Black Americans
- Sleep Apnea Patients Who Are Drowsy During the Day at Risk for Heart Woes
- Sleep Deprivation May Play Role in 'Global Loneliness Epidemic'
- Sleeping In on Weekends May Not Repay Your Sleep 'Debt'
- Sleepless Night Could Make Morning Pastries Tougher to Resist
- Sleepless Nights Haunt 1 in 4 Americans
- Sleepless Nights Show Ties To Alzheimer's Risk
- Sleepy Drivers Involved in 100,000 Crashes a Year
- Sleepy Teens More Prone to Drug Use, Suicide Attempts
- Snoring May Be Bigger Health Threat to Women Than Men
- Sound Advice for a Sound Sleep
- Stress Keeps 1 in 3 Americans Up at Night
- Study: Weekend Sleep-Ins May Help You Live Longer
- Who Lives Longer -- Night Owls or Early Birds?
- Kicking, Punching: Who's at Risk for a Violent Sleep Disorder?
- Why NFL Teams Play Better at Night
- Why Sleepless Nights Can Mean More Painful Days
- Wind Turbines' Health Impact Still Up in the Air
- Working More, But Getting Less Done?
- Your Valentine May Bring You Better Sleep
- Sleep Disorders: Alternative Treatments
- Back to School, Back to Sleep
- Sleep Disorders: Behavioral Treatments
- Better Sleep on Business Trips
- Can a Mattress Improve Your Health?
- Sleep: Causes of Sleep Problems
- Sleep: Diagnosing Sleep Disorders
- Doze Control: Eat Right and You'll Sleep Like a Baby
- Dream Interpretation Offers Insight
- Sleep: Drug or Alcohol Sleep Disorders
- Sleep: How Did You Sleep Last Night?
- How Much Sleep Do Children Need?
- How To Get a Good Night's Sleep
- How to Pick Your Perfect Mattress
- How to Stay Awake Naturally
- Medical Treatments to Stop Snoring
- Sleep Disorders: Medications
- Napping at Work: America, It's Time for Your Nap
- Nix the Nightcap for Better Sleep?
- Parasomnias Often Under-Recognized, Misunderstood
- Parenting: Baby Got You Up At Night?
- Parenting: A Simple New Strategy May Put Bedtime Struggles to Sleep
- Preventing Sleep Problems
- Sex While Asleep
- Sleep and Aging
- Sleep and Chronic Illness
- Sleep and Menopause
- Sleep and Psychiatric Disorders
- Sleep and Travel
- Sleep Diary
- Sleep Disorders 101
- Sleep Disorders Fact or Fiction
- Sleep Disorders: Some More Unusual than Others
- Sleep Dos & Don'ts
- Sleep During Pregnancy
- Sleep Problems in Kids
- Sleep Related Eating Disorders
- Sleep Savvy Quiz
- Sleep Soundly During Pregnancy
- Sleep: 10 Tips to Get Better Sleep
- Sleep: 8 Ways to Love Your Snorer
- Sleep: A Good Nights Sleep
- Sleep: Coping With Couples' Different Sleep Needs
- Sleep: Counting Sheep?
- Sleep: Getting Enough Sleep
- Sleep: More Important Than You Think
- Power Down for Better Sleep
- Sleep: When to Call the Doctor
- Sleeping At Work: Tips to Stay Awake
- Sleeping Well in Hard Times
- Sleepless in America
- Sleep: Snore No More
- Snoring: Five Natural Remedies to Stop Snoring
- Snuggle Up With the Perfect Pillow
- Sleep Sound
- Insomnia: Sweat Yourself to Sleep
- The Best Mattress for a Good Night's Sleep
- Sleep: The Power of Napping
- Sleep-Easy Pill
- Sleep: The Sweet Science of Dozing
- Sleep: Tips for Sound Sleep
- Sleep, Perchance to Dream: All about Insomnia
- Sleep, Perchance to Sleep Soundly
- Sleep: Undercover Investigation
- What Your Sleeping Style Says About You