Patient Comments: Skin Tag - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with skin tags.

Comment from: metoo, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: April 07

I have had skin tags on my neck and shoulders and just cut them off. A few months ago I got one on my lower lip just above my chin. Three days ago I cut it off. I had some bleeding but it did not hurt. I used a double edge razor blade. I use tee tree oil every morning and night. I hope it doesn't grow back because it is a pain to shave around it.

Comment from: justin, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: February 02

I just cut off a skin tag with a pair of sharp scissors. Quick and painless. I covered it with a Band-Aid to keep it clean while it heals.

Comment from: sbismyname, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: January 20

I have 15 skin tags on my neck alone. There may be more but those are the ones that are large enough for me to be certain that I haven't already counted them. I have two on my side, three near my armpit, and a couple in my groin area. At least, those are the ones I can see and if I have more my husband hasn't mentioned them. Clothing irritates all of them all the time and I need them removed but it is labeled cosmetic by our insurance, which means I can't afford to have them removed. Skin tags may not be life-threatening (which I'm well aware they are not) but they aren't exactly harmless. When wearing a tank top and hoodie it irritates every single one of them to the point where they're sensitive to touch from clothing irritation.

Comment from: Ranina, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 11

I had a medium-sized skin tag on my neck. The doctor wanted USD 200.00 to remove it. I didn't have USD 200.00. It was hurting and especially itching so bad that I bought a scalpel, sterilized it, froze the tag and the area around it with ice, and then cut it off with the scalpel. Yes, it hurt, but not all that much since it was frozen. There was a small amount of bleeding, but I applied sterile gauze to the wound with pressure and sterilized it with hydrogen peroxide, then bandaged it with a medicated rapid-stop bandage that stopped the bleeding entirely. I just did that about 10 minutes ago and it doesn't even hurt now. No more itching. No more pain and it's gone now. Yay! I will update on progress or lack of it.

Comment from: Isaac, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: June 26

I have had a skin tag on my upper abdomen which gave me a lot of concern. My fear was that such skin tags might be some kind of growth that couldn't be treated without a specialist's help, until I came across this site. Initially, I opted for thread method as someone suggested. I tied it with a black thread and after two days, I discovered it was turning black but not as much I expected. Without much thinking I took a razor blade and cut it off. I cleaned the blood with spirit and cotton. Now I am free from it. No more growth.

Comment from: Beth, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 24

I have a skin tag in my groin area, hope it falls off.

Comment from: bport, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: April 29

I went to private clinic. A laser removed 20 skin tags for 100 dollars. I live in Canada.

Comment from: MKWoods, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 11

I have had several skin tags. I had one I put a string around, and it hurt horribly. Then it grew back 3 times as big. I had to have it taken off by a dermatologist, it was so big. Now I use a 1/4 teaspoon of 'carrier oil' (almond, coconut, etc.) mixed with 5 drops of lemon oil. Within 3 days most of my tags fall off. Some take about 5 to 7 days. It is the least painless and most effective method I have used.

Skin Tag - Symptoms Question: Did you experience any symptoms with your skin tags?
Skin Tag - Removal Question: What method did you or your doctor use for removal of your skin tags?
Skin Tag - Diagnosis Question: Did your skin tag turn purple or black? If so, what was the outcome?