Patient Comments: Skin Tag - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with skin tags.

Comment from: thatgirl, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: June 12

I tied mine off put some ice on it and then cut it off, there wasn't a lot of bleeding and it didn't really hurt. And this thing was pretty big... and in a very sensitive spot.

Comment from: manuel, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: May 14

I have skin tags on one side of my neck. For some time, I've been using Tag Away. Now they are red around the base and are itching again.

Comment from: scaredgirl, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: May 01

I had a skin tag on my neck and it became medium in size. My friend told me to simply put a thread on the skin tag and it would just fall off by itself. I did, but it left a scar. I think that tag is still alive, because it's still kind of itchy and I know it will grow back again. I also had a skin tag in my bikini area and I kept on rubbing it because it was itchy, became reddish and painful. I'm a bit scared now because it became large. I think I need to visit a dermatologist.

Comment from: Anon, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: April 16

I use nail clippers. One snip – and that's it.

Published: July 16

If you're gone take it off yourself, just don't cut it. It will bleed a lot sometimes. The recommended way that I have read about is to tie it off with a long hair or piece of thread. It will dry up and fall off without the need to cut anything. Also, there is a new liquid product from DermaSil that will dry them up.

Published: July 03

I had a very annoying skin tag in my armpit that started out little bitty but grew huge and pesky. It would twist around and felt like my armpit was being pinched. It was also rather unsightly. My husband tied a piece of string far back on the "stem" of the skin tag, against my armpit. Within days I woke up and it had fallen off. Since then, I have tried this with several other smaller ones and have had positive results. My doctor advised this is how he would have treated this, as skin tags rarely require being cut off.

Published: June 30

I had a small skin tag on the inside of my thigh that I noticed while waxing. I'm 27 years old and this is the first one I've seen on me, but my mother has them around her eyes. I pulled on it, and it didn't hurt too much, so I decided I'd cut it off as it is somewhat unsightly. I opted for scissors......pulled the thing up a bit, snipped and used a cotton ball for the minimal bleeding that occurred. I felt absolutely no pain. I wasn't expecting that, but cool! No big scab today, just a tiny mark, less than if I had cut myself shaving.

Published: June 20

I do not suggest this because I'm not a medical professional. I recently cut off my skin tags with a razor blade in my bathroom. They were very small and on my neck. Bleeding did occur, however it involved minimal pain and the results were instant.

Published: June 19

I'm in my forties now but started getting tags in my early thirties...I have found a fast and easy way to remove them with out much pain. Large toe nail clippers (not for the faint of heart) with the straight flat head. Sterilized w/alcohol first apply a numbing cream to the tag, clip and you're done. I usually apply a little of Hydrogen Peroxide after to ensure the cut is clean.

Published: June 16

I am a 48 year old male and have multiple skin tags around my arm pits. These are numerous and of varying sizes. I also get some on my neck but these are very small. Recently one under my right arm pit became irritated and was bugging me constantly. The wife and I snipped if off with scissors and bandaged it up as it started to bleed immediately. This was expected and I figured it would clot and stop after a while. Long story short, there was lots of blood, messed up sheets, and we had to change the bandage three times, over a 7 hour period. I take aspirin, so my blood is pretty thin and takes longer to clot. After about 24 hours the site had healed enough that we removed the gauze and tape. This method works, but blood loss can result and discomfort can result by wearing a pressure bandage for a day. Next time I may try tying off the sucker and snipping it below the string. That should reduce the blood loss and be less messy.

Skin Tag - Symptoms Question: Did you experience any symptoms with your skin tags?
Skin Tag - Removal Question: What method did you or your doctor use for removal of your skin tags?
Skin Tag - Diagnosis Question: Did your skin tag turn purple or black? If so, what was the outcome?