Patient Comments: Skin Tag - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with skin tags.

Published: May 28

I have many, many skin tags, and they seem to be multiplying by the dozens lately. They are embarassing to say the least. Most of mine are under my arms, on my neck, and in the folds of skin around my waist. But recently, I have found them in the creases of my legs and inside of my thighs. These rub and become irritated. Some of the older ones have become very large. I am desparate to have them removed, but my doctor said they would always come back and that they are hereditary.

Comment from: Samantha, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: October 24

I had a small under my right armpit. When I shaved, I accidently slit part of it. It bled for a long time. The next day it inflated and turned purple. I squeezed it and it went normal color again. When I woke up today, I checked on it. It was black and swollen. It hurt really bad and I didn't know what to do. I went in the bathroom and ripped it off. It bled but then it healed and I was tagless!

Comment from: kromero, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: August 23

I had my doctor remove my skin tags, she cut them off with a small blade, the larger ones she put a shot in them, which hurts more then the blade, the shot numbed it then she cut it off and I didn't feel it. It did hurt a little when she cut the other ones off, now the next day they are SO sore!!! The small ones they can freeze off.

Comment from: thatgirl, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: June 12

I tied mine off put some ice on it and then cut it off, there wasn't a lot of bleeding and it didn't really hurt. And this thing was pretty big... and in a very sensitive spot.

Comment from: manuel, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: May 14

I have skin tags on one side of my neck. For some time, I've been using Tag Away. Now they are red around the base and are itching again.

Comment from: scaredgirl, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: May 01

I had a skin tag on my neck and it became medium in size. My friend told me to simply put a thread on the skin tag and it would just fall off by itself. I did, but it left a scar. I think that tag is still alive, because it's still kind of itchy and I know it will grow back again. I also had a skin tag in my bikini area and I kept on rubbing it because it was itchy, became reddish and painful. I'm a bit scared now because it became large. I think I need to visit a dermatologist.

Comment from: Anon, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: April 16

I use nail clippers. One snip – and that's it.

Published: July 16

If you're gone take it off yourself, just don't cut it. It will bleed a lot sometimes. The recommended way that I have read about is to tie it off with a long hair or piece of thread. It will dry up and fall off without the need to cut anything. Also, there is a new liquid product from DermaSil that will dry them up.

Published: July 03

I had a very annoying skin tag in my armpit that started out little bitty but grew huge and pesky. It would twist around and felt like my armpit was being pinched. It was also rather unsightly. My husband tied a piece of string far back on the "stem" of the skin tag, against my armpit. Within days I woke up and it had fallen off. Since then, I have tried this with several other smaller ones and have had positive results. My doctor advised this is how he would have treated this, as skin tags rarely require being cut off.

Skin Tag - Symptoms Question: Did you experience any symptoms with your skin tags?
Skin Tag - Removal Question: What method did you or your doctor use for removal of your skin tags?
Skin Tag - Diagnosis Question: Did your skin tag turn purple or black? If so, what was the outcome?