Patient Comments: Skin Tag - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with skin tags.

Comment from: tootsie, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 18

I"ve had skin tags for a number of years now, all sizes, one on eye lid, several under breast, under arms, several on my neck and a few in my groin area. Once they get bigger I usually tie them off with thread, works pretty good. Cutting them off makes them bleed too much. I always know where new ones are going to pop up because they start with a small red dot. They only bother me when a necklace or bra rubs on them.

Comment from: mdrag, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 10

I have several small skin tags on my eyelids that are flesh colored and are driving me crazy. They are unsightly enough to bother me, however, the thing that is making me suffer is the fact that they itch and burn constantly. I'm wondering if it's from the Celexa that I am taking. I went off of this in the past and it eliminates the itching, however the skin tags are still there. I am looking for any type of salve out there that will alleviate the itching. I've tried just about everything and nothing works!

Comment from: slingmann, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: October 31

I have had tags for years, most docs do not understand why I get them. I am too fat and diabetic so friction causes it in dark moist areas. Some dermatologists believe they are a type of wart. When I say I have a lot, I mean it. I have maybe 200 under each arm, hundreds in groin and some around neck and eyelids. I usually pinch them off with my fingernail unless they get large (raisin size). Then I cut them, freeze them or have large area of skin removed.

Comment from: billy, 13-18 Male (Caregiver) Published: January 17

I had a skin tag on my private area that made me really insecure so I decided to remove it. I looked online for ideas to remove the skin tag and found two that I liked. There was the freezing one and the string one. I decided to freeze it but after a week of trying I decided to go with the tying method. It was great, after the second day it turned black and fell off.

Comment from: yvonne, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 02

My Doctor removed my skin tags by pulling them off with tweezers. I was far from amused, I thought he would freeze them off. I went back 3 days later to have the plasters removed and he gave me antibiotic cream, but one deep removed tag has now got infected. I am cleaning it with salt water (yes, it stings like mad). I wish I had paid to have them removed, I am sure the job would have been done better. It is one week on today and if I had known last week what was in store for me I would have run the other way.

Published: May 28

I have many, many skin tags, and they seem to be multiplying by the dozens lately. They are embarassing to say the least. Most of mine are under my arms, on my neck, and in the folds of skin around my waist. But recently, I have found them in the creases of my legs and inside of my thighs. These rub and become irritated. Some of the older ones have become very large. I am desparate to have them removed, but my doctor said they would always come back and that they are hereditary.

Comment from: Samantha, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: October 24

I had a small under my right armpit. When I shaved, I accidently slit part of it. It bled for a long time. The next day it inflated and turned purple. I squeezed it and it went normal color again. When I woke up today, I checked on it. It was black and swollen. It hurt really bad and I didn't know what to do. I went in the bathroom and ripped it off. It bled but then it healed and I was tagless!

Comment from: kromero, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: August 23

I had my doctor remove my skin tags, she cut them off with a small blade, the larger ones she put a shot in them, which hurts more then the blade, the shot numbed it then she cut it off and I didn't feel it. It did hurt a little when she cut the other ones off, now the next day they are SO sore!!! The small ones they can freeze off.

Skin Tag - Symptoms Question: Did you experience any symptoms with your skin tags?
Skin Tag - Removal Question: What method did you or your doctor use for removal of your skin tags?
Skin Tag - Diagnosis Question: Did your skin tag turn purple or black? If so, what was the outcome?