Patient Comments: Skin Tag - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with skin tags.

Comment from: dmblack78, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 13

I just had my skin tags frozen today save for one that was a little bigger than the rest; that one was cut off after she injected me with lidocaine. The sites around my neck where she froze them off were very red for the first hour, now my skin looks normal but the tags kind of ballooned up. She says they will shrivel up and fall off in a week. To me the freezing hurt more than the lidocaine injection, but just for about an hour or so.

Comment from: MR, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 21

I had a very large (size of a large grape) skin tag for a long time. I was worried it was something else, but confirmed by the doctors that it was indeed just a skin tag. It was in an area on my body that was not very visible, but eventually I was sick of seeing it and decided to try to remove it myself with home remedies (did not have the extra money to get it removed by a doctor). I tried a lot of things, nail polish, tree oil, castor oil and baking soda, and duct tape, none seemed to work. Not that these remedies don't, it was just so big. So I finally tried tying it off. I used those little rubber bands you can use for your hair, wrapped that band around it tight enough to cut off circulation, covered it with a Band-Aid and it worked. The first couple days the tag swelled up a lot and it was very tender, but after a couple more days the swelling went down and it started to darken in color and shrink up. After about a week, it was this gross little black piece of skin and I was able to cut it off. I didn't feel a thing! If you decide to try this, keep the area clean as much as possible, and after the tag is removed continue with antibiotic ointment and keep it clean. From what I read, the tag should just fall off with this method, but I got impatient. Try not to cut off anything unless you are sure you can. Hope this helps someone.

Comment from: owch, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 14

I got a skin tag in the groin fold area. It itched like crazy in the middle of the night. I was worried it might be a tick though, since I found one on me a few weeks before. I went in and I guess the doctor used scissor; man, that stung! I've got to use antibiotic cream for a few days to prevent infection. I have had them in other crazy places the past few years, under the breast at bra line, under armpit, and neck. I wonder what really causes them... using plastics?

Comment from: Solution, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: June 02

I too had a skin tag grow on one side of my neck where I could see it. I hadn"t ever had one before but I"d seen them and knew the things were usually treated with a cotton loop with pain and blood. So after a think I remembered the wart kill solution (because I"ve got some of those too). So I tried it. And, hey magic, those things are so easy to treat with wart solution. They"re easier to remove than warts. I just paint the tag and let dry, it might give a tiny little sting for 10 minutes or so but that"s nothing like a hot needle or a botched cotton loop. Paint again in a few days and repeat until gone. No mess, no infection, no scar, no real pain. I make sure not to spill the solution. I"ve successfully treated a wart on an eyelid with wart solution. A few paints and then it fell off after a few weeks. One happy day the wart just wasn"t there. I was getting ugly with a wart on my eye and now I"m so pleased I"m just a little less ugly. I was real careful around the eyes. When using wart solution around eyes I always make sure I remember not to get wart treatment solution in eyes.

Comment from: NotADoctor, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: April 25

I had a skin tag below my armpit. I originally tried to cut it off. It bled a lot and then grew right back. I tried that again a while later and got the same result. I lived with it for a few years and then I tried to tie a string around it but was not coordinated enough to do that by myself. This being a "stringy" skin tag, I merely twisted it at the skin level and put a piece of waterproof medical tape over it. I may not have twisted it quite enough because it took about a week and a half, but it turned black, fell off and has never returned. I have since done this with 2 others with the same success. Disclaimer: I am not a doctor. My results were favorable. Your results may vary. Attempt at your own risk. (... nor am I a lawyer.)

Comment from: Lynn023, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: April 22

I had a horrid skin tag right below my underwear line. I tied it off with string and it started to hurt 2 days later. I tried to pull the string off but it wouldn't budge. I simply pulled on the skin tag and clipped it off with toe nail clippers; much easier and didn't hurt at all.

Skin Tag - Symptoms Question: Did you experience any symptoms with your skin tags?
Skin Tag - Removal Question: What method did you or your doctor use for removal of your skin tags?
Skin Tag - Diagnosis Question: Did your skin tag turn purple or black? If so, what was the outcome?