Patient Comments: Skin Tag - Removal

What method did you or your doctor use for removal of your skin tags?

Comment from: Pixie, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: November 20

Could not stand skin tags on legs. They would rub together when I walked. I sterilized manicure scissors, rubbed alcohol on and around skin tag, put ice on to numb area and cleaned again with alcohol. Then I pulled the skin tag out with sterilized tweezers and cut it off. I held sterile pad on the area, put on Neosporin and Band-Aid. I had no pain and they are gone.

Comment from: relieved30, (Patient) Published: March 12

I just had about 30 skin tags zapped by cauterization. It hurt awfully, as I was not given anything to numb the skin. I have them on my face, neck, under bust, and under arms. Now I am healing and using a cream to prevent infection. I will go back and remove the smaller ones on my face soon. To me the results are worth it.

Comment from: Holly, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 29

I had a small flesh colored tag under my right eye for at least four years, and it had grown slightly larger. My dermatologist offered to remove it at my last check up, but I had an annual appointment with my eye doctor scheduled, and, honestly, it was so close to my eye, I felt better about the eye doctor working in that area. My experienced ophthalmologist said that he had often removed them, so we scheduled it. My insurance did not cover it, so the cost was USD 248.73. I was supine on a table. He numbed the area with a small needle, gave it 5 minutes to work. Looked at the area under a microscope and used a blade to remove it. He cauterized the spot and gave me a tiny tube labeled 'Neomycin and Polymyxin B Sulfates and Dexamethasone Ophthalmic Ointment USP' to put on it for five night before bedtime. No follow up needed. He did not biopsy it. He used codes 67800 (chalazion, single) for billing an intermediate office procedure. I had it done yesterday, so I can't address scarring, but I'd prefer to have a tiny, tiny scar there rather than the creepy skin tag. He said this method is better than snipping them off because you can get closer to the base, and there may be less chance of regrowth. I put this off for a long while, but now I am thrilled I did it. I read about all the people who removed their own skin tags. I am the queasy type and could not do that to myself. Some things are best left to professionals. Good luck, everyone. I'd say I had a 100 percent experience.

Comment from: Patient, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 24

I had skin tags on my neck. I had noticed only 3 of them but when I went to the doctor, he counted 8 in all. The doctor applied some chemical with the tip of a toothpick on the tags and asked me to not wash it for next 30 minutes or so. The tags became black and smaller in the next 7 days and finally they fell off on 9th or 10th day. I have no mark or had any pain in the process.

Comment from: chunkcheese, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 30

I used thuja tincture; I removed not only skin warts but skin tags with direct application. I also drank water with 5 drops of thuja tincture each day. All skin tags gone and no scarring.

Comment from: bsepdaddy, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: October 05

I was scrubbing my skin tag and it got caught in my loofa and got ripped right off. No pain!

Comment from: Johnny boy, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: January 13

I noticed a skin tag in my armpit area and I thought I could only remove it through a doctor but a friend told me there are a couple ways to remove it at home myself. I chose to cut it off with a pair of scissors. I put alcohol on the tag, pulled it and one snip with the scissors and it was done. I had no pain and not a lot of blood. It's been 15 minutes since I snipped it and the bleeding has stopped already.

Comment from: DjMiss, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 07

To remove my skin tag, I tied with sewing cotton in a loop.

Skin Tag - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with skin tags.
Skin Tag - Symptoms Question: Did you experience any symptoms with your skin tags?
Skin Tag - Diagnosis Question: Did your skin tag turn purple or black? If so, what was the outcome?