Patient Comments: Skin Tag - Symptoms

Question:Did you experience any symptoms with your skin tags?

Comment from: Frustrated, 75 or over Male (Caregiver) Published: March 24

It started with a small breakage of the skin just below my left eye, in the cheekbone, caused probably by shaving. After a couple of weeks this had grown larger. I went to see a dermatologist who ordered a blood/culture. The results came back as shingles. By this time, more spots had developed on my left leg, chest, back and the face. There are a few spots in my hairs. Immediately I was sent for a series of antibiotics (IV). Now I am on antibiotics, taken orally. I notice that that one of the symptoms include itching, open sores. I do not have any of those. Other than that, apart from being fatigued all the time with no energy. Two or three times a day, without any warning I get this excruciating pain to an area above my left eye. This pain lasts usually around 5 minutes.

Comment from: Hippie64, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 05

I am not sure what kind of doctor I need to see. I have a very large cluster of skin tags on my pubic area. They started out as just one tag but have grown into a large cluster about the size of my thumb. The cluster has feeling and I've tried over the years to remove them on my own. It's embarrassing and I'm not sure who to see about removing them.

Comment from: DjMiss, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 07

There is pain, redness, and pinching like pain in my skin tag if touched.

Comment from: 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: April 24

No symptoms, I have small skin tags on my thighs, underneath my breast, one on my eyelid, and some in my private area. I"m taking garlic tablets as I don"t want to put a bunch of crazy things around my private area. I"ve been taking them 3 times a day, for about a week and they are starting to get smaller and darker. So hopefully they"ll be gone within a week or two. I"ll continue to take the garlic tablets as I don"t want them to return. I am on birth control as I suffer from heavy periods, so I think it"s the hormones from the birth control.

Comment from: Cambar, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: October 11

With anal skin tag removal, I was so scared and self-conscious about it because it looked horrible and I don't let my boyfriend look at it. Even myself at that I did not want to go to a doctor because I read a lot of stories that you bleed so much it hurts blah blah. Plus to save the embarrassment I decided to do it myself. I took alcohol, Hydrogen peroxide, cleaned the area, squatted over and cut the anal tag with heavy duty scissors. Fast and quick. I couldn't believe that I was actually going to go through with it but I said whatever and snipped it right off!!! It's not bleeding like crazy as people thought and said it would. I have a high tolerance for pain but now I just feel like a little wound by my anal area. I hope another one will not grow back (as so I heard) but it's all gone and I have a normal anal area. The reason why I believe I even got one was because my stool tends to be hard and it ripped my anal area. I guess that was just how it healed. Anyways all gone. I wanted to share my story because I did my research and never got an answer of someone actually doing it.

Comment from: Pearl, 75 or over (Patient) Published: August 05

I need to find out about a walking group together. I need to lose weight, and am a diabetic. I hate walking alone. I think that it is safer with a group.

Comment from: mike m, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: January 22

My doctor is also trained for skin issues and I have had many skin tags removed from everywhere! I had the same issue with a whole line in my groin area and had them removed. He is a doctor and has seen many and talked about much more embarrassing things. Do not bother with the home stuff as it is a waste of time.

Comment from: grey, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: July 21

I have a problem! I have a huge anal skin tag which has bled a few times before and started to hurt! I had a brilliant idea of tying it down! (Don't think that was very smart!) However a little more than 24 hours later, it turned a grey white color and still hurts terribly. I really don't want to go to the doctor for this!

Skin Tag - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with skin tags.
Skin Tag - Removal Question: What method did you or your doctor use for removal of your skin tags?
Skin Tag - Diagnosis Question: Did your skin tag turn purple or black? If so, what was the outcome?