Patient Comments: Skin Tag - Symptoms

Question:Did you experience any symptoms with your skin tags?

Comment from: Hippie64, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 05

I am not sure what kind of doctor I need to see. I have a very large cluster of skin tags on my pubic area. They started out as just one tag but have grown into a large cluster about the size of my thumb. The cluster has feeling and I've tried over the years to remove them on my own. It's embarrassing and I'm not sure who to see about removing them.

Comment from: DjMiss, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 07

There is pain, redness, and pinching like pain in my skin tag if touched.

Comment from: 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: April 24

No symptoms, I have small skin tags on my thighs, underneath my breast, one on my eyelid, and some in my private area. I"m taking garlic tablets as I don"t want to put a bunch of crazy things around my private area. I"ve been taking them 3 times a day, for about a week and they are starting to get smaller and darker. So hopefully they"ll be gone within a week or two. I"ll continue to take the garlic tablets as I don"t want them to return. I am on birth control as I suffer from heavy periods, so I think it"s the hormones from the birth control.

Comment from: Cambar, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: October 11

With anal skin tag removal, I was so scared and self-conscious about it because it looked horrible and I don't let my boyfriend look at it. Even myself at that I did not want to go to a doctor because I read a lot of stories that you bleed so much it hurts blah blah. Plus to save the embarrassment I decided to do it myself. I took alcohol, Hydrogen peroxide, cleaned the area, squatted over and cut the anal tag with heavy duty scissors. Fast and quick. I couldn't believe that I was actually going to go through with it but I said whatever and snipped it right off!!! It's not bleeding like crazy as people thought and said it would. I have a high tolerance for pain but now I just feel like a little wound by my anal area. I hope another one will not grow back (as so I heard) but it's all gone and I have a normal anal area. The reason why I believe I even got one was because my stool tends to be hard and it ripped my anal area. I guess that was just how it healed. Anyways all gone. I wanted to share my story because I did my research and never got an answer of someone actually doing it.

Comment from: grey, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: July 21

I have a problem! I have a huge anal skin tag which has bled a few times before and started to hurt! I had a brilliant idea of tying it down! (Don't think that was very smart!) However a little more than 24 hours later, it turned a grey white color and still hurts terribly. I really don't want to go to the doctor for this!

Comment from: High Seas Drifter, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: June 12

I've had a few skin tags over the years. My sister was training as a nurse, and delighted in having me lay on the floor while she arranged a load of sterilized instruments, before slicing a few tags off with a scalpel. Not much blood, and they didn't grow back. I have one on my neck at the moment, and don't want to snip it myself. My sister now lives on a different continent. So I've tied it with cotton thread. It's withering, and should be gone soon... ugly little thing.

Comment from: Honey, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 07

I have many, many skin tags in various places, none of them fun. I now have a large (plump raisin sized) one on my inner thigh that hurts. I have had ones on my neck that have bled after chafing by my seat belt.

Comment from: Taco, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: June 05

I have been growing skin tags for years. I got tired of paying a doctor to remove them. I developed my own painless method. This works for medium to large tags. Cut a section of medical tape large enough to cover the tag and the surrounding area. Twist the tag as much as you can and tape it down holding the twisted tag in place. Remove the tape in 3 to 4 days. If the tag has not fallen off it will be black in color. The twist cuts off the blood flow and the tag dies. If it is black and still attached it should pull off without much effort. Always works for me.

Comment from: doodle, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 30

No symptoms. My Mom took me to the doctors when I was in my early 20's, possibly late teens. He said he could remove them (skin tags on my neck) but suggested I just tie them off with a thread. I used the tie-off method on about 5 or so (all of what I had). Now I am 40 and I have a few more that have grown over the years so I decided to finally get the threat out and have my hubby tie a slip knot on them. He tied 3 of them off but I wouldn't suggest the slip knot because 1 thread fell off in my sleep, another stayed on but I could tell that it wasn't working (it was not getting dark and shrinking). The 3rd one was fine and it (the tag) fell off in like 2 or 3 days. They are very small tags. Just big enough to get caught in my bath poof while washing my neck. OUCH!!! I ended up just tying a new thread to the one that wasn't working and by the next day it looked like it was almost ready to fall off. It's a little awkward walking around with threat hanging from your neck but it's just temporary. Use flesh colored thread and tie it on using a simple overhand knot. Depending on the size, they usually just shrivel up and fall off in a few days.

Skin Tag - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with skin tags.
Skin Tag - Removal Question: What method did you or your doctor use for removal of your skin tags?
Skin Tag - Diagnosis Question: Did your skin tag turn purple or black? If so, what was the outcome?