Patient Comments: Skin Tag - Symptoms

Question:Did you experience any symptoms with your skin tags?

Comment from: doodle, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 30

No symptoms. My Mom took me to the doctors when I was in my early 20's, possibly late teens. He said he could remove them (skin tags on my neck) but suggested I just tie them off with a thread. I used the tie-off method on about 5 or so (all of what I had). Now I am 40 and I have a few more that have grown over the years so I decided to finally get the threat out and have my hubby tie a slip knot on them. He tied 3 of them off but I wouldn't suggest the slip knot because 1 thread fell off in my sleep, another stayed on but I could tell that it wasn't working (it was not getting dark and shrinking). The 3rd one was fine and it (the tag) fell off in like 2 or 3 days. They are very small tags. Just big enough to get caught in my bath poof while washing my neck. OUCH!!! I ended up just tying a new thread to the one that wasn't working and by the next day it looked like it was almost ready to fall off. It's a little awkward walking around with threat hanging from your neck but it's just temporary. Use flesh colored thread and tie it on using a simple overhand knot. Depending on the size, they usually just shrivel up and fall off in a few days.

Comment from: Robitaille, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: May 25

When I was born, I had skin tags on my ears and on my neck. The doctor said that it would result in kidney problems. So, he did a test and said my kidneys are perfectly fine. Then when I was about 4 or 5, I got them removed. The ones on my ears grew back because they did not cut them off correctly. But, now, I fear I have a kidney infection. I'm not sure if it is possible to get problems randomly like this even though my kidneys were already checked and fine.

Comment from: Bare Bob, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: November 30

As an underwear and swimwear model I began shaving off body hair, including in the bikini area. After tiring of this routine I looked into electrolysis, but no salons were willing to do the male bikini area, including scrotum, at the time (1990s). I resorted to waxing, which was very painful, sometimes pulling out chunks of skin, not much of a time-saver, nor was it cheap. After a year a skin tag appeared between my leg and scrotum. A year later there were four more in the same location. A dermatologist froze these off and a biopsy showed they were not warts. I discontinued waxing then (2008), and continue to shave, and haven't seen any more skin tags appear in that area or elsewhere. Beware: Waxing can cause skin tags.

Comment from: High Seas Drifter, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: June 12

I've had a few skin tags over the years. My sister was training as a nurse, and delighted in having me lay on the floor while she arranged a load of sterilized instruments, before slicing a few tags off with a scalpel. Not much blood, and they didn't grow back. I have one on my neck at the moment, and don't want to snip it myself. My sister now lives on a different continent. So I've tied it with cotton thread. It's withering, and should be gone soon... ugly little thing.

Comment from: Tag teamed, 45-54 Female Published: August 08

When I got pregnant with my daughter, I noticed a small growth inside my thigh. A few weeks later I noticed another on the other thigh (inside also). Over the years, one has been growing while the other has stayed close to the skin. Now, after 15 years, one side has grown away from the thigh, but the connection to my skin is wide. I've thought about home remedies, but thought, hey I work hard and pay into health care, let the doctor do it. For now, since it's an irritant, (rubbing) I've decided to keep it down with Scotch tape, lol!!!

Comment from: Matt, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: June 06

I had several Skin tags that appear about 5-6 years ago. First were two small ones at the base of my neck and then several slightly larger ones in my armpits. I found out what they were and was content to leave them. Then a small one formed on my chest, just above my right arm pit. But after a year or two this one got quite large. Not quite as big as a grape, but definitely larger than a blueberry. That one was a bit embarassing when I went swimming etc, so I decided to do something. I bought one of those over the counter skin tag removal kits. I froze the ones on my neck, no problem, did a couple of the worst ones in my armpits. Then I tried for the big one. Despite trying two or three nights in a row, I was unsuccessful in removing it with the kit. I wish I'd heard the thread method, but instead I went to the doctor. They gave me a small shot to freeze the area and chopped it off, no problem. She actually asked me if I wanted to keep it! lol Since then I've seen no new tags and I'm getting the thread out to take care of the last of them!

Comment from: skintagsteve, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: February 07

I recently cut off 6 skin tags on my chest, shoulder area, and eyelid with Swiss Army scissors. It couldn't have been easier. I prepped the scissor and tag with alcohol. I kept the alcohol in a shot glass and dipped the scissors in after each cut. Then I applied an antibiotic and I was all set.

Skin Tag - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with skin tags.
Skin Tag - Removal Question: What method did you or your doctor use for removal of your skin tags?
Skin Tag - Diagnosis Question: Did your skin tag turn purple or black? If so, what was the outcome?