Patient Comments: Skin Tag - Symptoms

Question:Did you experience any symptoms with your skin tags?

Comment from: Don'tLikeTags, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 08

I get tiny skin tags near my armpits and all around my bra line, especially when I work out regularly. I have found Amlactin to be very effective in getting rid of most of them.

Comment from: Robitaille, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: May 25

When I was born, I had skin tags on my ears and on my neck. The doctor said that it would result in kidney problems. So, he did a test and said my kidneys are perfectly fine. Then when I was about 4 or 5, I got them removed. The ones on my ears grew back because they did not cut them off correctly. But, now, I fear I have a kidney infection. I'm not sure if it is possible to get problems randomly like this even though my kidneys were already checked and fine.

Comment from: Bare Bob, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: November 30

As an underwear and swimwear model I began shaving off body hair, including in the bikini area. After tiring of this routine I looked into electrolysis, but no salons were willing to do the male bikini area, including scrotum, at the time (1990s). I resorted to waxing, which was very painful, sometimes pulling out chunks of skin, not much of a time-saver, nor was it cheap. After a year a skin tag appeared between my leg and scrotum. A year later there were four more in the same location. A dermatologist froze these off and a biopsy showed they were not warts. I discontinued waxing then (2008), and continue to shave, and haven't seen any more skin tags appear in that area or elsewhere. Beware: Waxing can cause skin tags.

Comment from: skintagsteve, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: February 07

I recently cut off 6 skin tags on my chest, shoulder area, and eyelid with Swiss Army scissors. It couldn't have been easier. I prepped the scissor and tag with alcohol. I kept the alcohol in a shot glass and dipped the scissors in after each cut. Then I applied an antibiotic and I was all set.

Comment from: prettymomma, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 08

I have inflamed, red, irritated skin under my breasts from skin tags that rip, tch, and hurt.

Comment from: Hybridnat, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 24

Since my early twenties I started having skin tags. They are growths that are black and stick out. All over my neck some on my face and some on my back and a big one on my breasts. They would get to a stage where they really hurt when exposed to the sun. I was self concious of them. I went to see my GP and he refered me to have the major ones surgically removed. The surgeon would use an anaesthetic cream and then would cut it out of the area and then cauterise it with heat. I had to have them removed over a period of three months and my surgery was every fortnight. It was painful and itchy but healed rather quickly. They collected the samples for the labs. I was happy when it was over, not much scarring. Eight months on some have returned and now I have one in the entrance to my right nostril.

Comment from: bea, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 03

My skin tag would swell up and hurt a lot. I had a doctor cut it off. He did not deaden it and yes, it hurt. He then cauterized it and that hurt a lot more. I had used wart remover on it as I read you could, but it failed to remove the skin tag. It has been three days and it is still very sore and the area is now black. It has not bled and I usually bleed easily.

Comment from: Ruthy, 75 or over (Patient) Published: August 03

I had no symptoms whatsoever until my dermatologist removed it. Since then it has been about a month and the area is itchy and burning. The doctor gave me an antibiotic cream to put on it but so far it has not helped.

Published: June 30

I have had and still have a couple skin tags on my neck, one I was able to get rid of by an article I read in my daily newspaper. It said to use liquid band-aid. It worked, but it took a few weeks, and just fell off. The liquid bandaid does leave a light film when it dries, so I decided to try a different approach this time. I am now using a clear nail polish on another one that is driving me crazy! I will post the results when & if they are available.

Comment from: merlin, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: June 13

I had several skin tags in my groin that used to snag on my underpants and became sore. I lived with them for 10 years. My wife did not like them so I had them removed by the doctor. (painlessly burned off). Within three months they grew back not just six but I now have about 50. There may be no evidence that having them cut off causes more to grow, but in my case many more have grown.

Skin Tag - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with skin tags.
Skin Tag - Removal Question: What method did you or your doctor use for removal of your skin tags?
Skin Tag - Diagnosis Question: Did your skin tag turn purple or black? If so, what was the outcome?