Patient Comments: Skin Cancer - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your skin cancer?

Comment from: ed, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: March 18

I have a skin cancer sore that will not heal. It is eating away at the edges of the sore. This has been going on for 11 months. Dermatologist is not too concerned.

Comment from: Jo, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 15

I am now almost 60. I was a sun lover as a child and taking my kids all of their weekends to softball tournaments. At 45 I was diagnosed with acral lentinginous melanoma, a malignant skin cancer found under my thumb nail. The only cure was to amputate at the knuckle. It is a very dangerous melanoma as it is often overlooked by the lay person as it can start out looking like a nail fungus. I was very fortunate as I had mine for over a year before it was diagnosed. It is no longer considered to be a result of sun exposure, however, there was not much known about it in 1999. It is still though a malignant cancer. Do not wait to see a dermatologist if you see a nail bruise and you don't remember causing the injury or if your nail splits with brown spots on your finger or toe pad.

Comment from: Delores, 75 or over Male (Caregiver) Published: March 24

My husband passed away in December from Merkel cell skin cancer. He had surgery two times but the second time it spread quickly. He lived two years after thinking he had a fever blister on his lip.

Comment from: skin cancer, 45-54 (Patient) Published: November 04

I wish we could get young people to realize how dangerous all the sunbathing is, whether indoor or outdoor. I wish I had known the statistic for fair-skinned people when I was younger and lying in a tanning bed. I try to talk to people about the dangers, but much like I was, they are more interested in their appearance for now than what is a possibility for their future.

Comment from: hazel, (Patient) Published: November 04

I was diagnosed two years ago with melanoma beside my ear. I had surgery to remove it.

Comment from: snowdinmn, (Patient) Published: November 04

I have a scar on my right cheek from a large mole removed when I was three years old. It was itchy and the bumpy red part bled when scratched. Turns out it was Basal Cell Carcinoma.

Skin Cancer - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with skin cancer.
Skin Cancer - Diagnosis Question: Describe the circumstances surrounding your skin cancer diagnosis.
Skin Cancer - Treatment Question: How was your skin cancer treated?