Patient Comments: Skin Cancer - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with skin cancer.

Comment from: sandra, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

I am very scared. I had a biopsy on my face and got the results back four weeks later. I had cancer. It was all removed and clear on biopsy. I now have to see skin specialist as I am prone to getting it as my skin is sun damaged. It is very nerve wracking.

Comment from: Julie, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 30

I am 65. I have blue eyes, but olive skin. I tanned easily. I am an outdoor girl, kayaking, swimming, beach; no tanning booth ever. I used sunblock later in life, and wore hats. I had a melanoma on my left leg right above my knee and had Mohs surgery. I have had 2 small places on chest removed. My mother and father were in the sun a lot. No melanomas or any problems with skin. Mother is 90. Daddy died at 81 of lung cancer. One daughter 41 has had a small melanoma removed and has some problems with some places on her face. She has olive skin and brown eyes. I have 3 other children with no problems. Please buy sun clothing for yourself and children!

Comment from: Riley, Male (Caregiver) Published: November 06

I'm not actually a skin cancer patient, but I'm writing this about my girlfriend, because her case is so strange that I thought it would be interesting to tell people about it. She has basal cell carcinoma on her eyebrow and eyelid that started years ago from an eyebrow wound that must have healed wrong. For years we thought that the shiny hairless lump was just scar tissue, but it caused her pain and bled a lot. Recently she went in for surgery, where a hard cyst-like substance was removed from her eyebrow. Then the skin tests came back positive for cancer. So she got another surgery and they got out as much as they could, but there is still a lot left that they were unable to remove. She has been to several specialists and meetings but no one is sure yet how to proceed because radiation therapy could cause problems with her eye. If one of us had seen pictures of basal cell carcinoma years ago, we would have recognized it and some of this might have been prevented.

Comment from: 45-54 (Patient) Published: November 04

I am a 53 year old woman. Being blonde and blue-eyed, I have very light skin. In my younger years, I played and worked in the sun a lot. I would describe my use of sunscreen as sporadic. My mother had skin cancers throughout her life; she had several incidents of squamous cell carcinoma. At least one time, she had a melanoma (on her nose). Recently, I tripped on some metal stairs and injured both of my shins. As they healed, they both produced hard and irregular scar tissue. The one on my left leg was painful to the touch, red, and had a raised "bump." So, I made an appointment with my doctor. After examining the spot on the left shin, he said, “This looks like a skin cancer and will probably have to be removed surgically." He referred me to a dermatologist. The dermatologist took biopsies of both spots and, sure enough, the lab report showed a squamous cell carcinoma on the left shin and a pre-cancer. (I can't remember the name). I just made appointments for the Mohs procedure on the left and a scrape and burn on the right.

Comment from: Dar, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 01

I have an appointment soon to have this checked out to see if it is skin cancer. It is a dark mole in my side but is puckered in, not protruding; almost a hole.

Skin Cancer - Diagnosis Question: Describe the circumstances surrounding your skin cancer diagnosis.
Skin Cancer - Treatment Question: How was your skin cancer treated?
Skin Cancer - Symptoms Question: What were the symptoms of your skin cancer?