Patient Comments: Sjogren's Syndrome - Symptoms

What symptoms and signs did you experience with Sjogren's syndrome?

Comment from: QuickDigits, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 11

I am a 65-year old female. I was diagnosed about a month ago with SLE (systemic lupus erythematosus), mixed connective tissue disease and Raynaud"s syndrome. My rheumatologist diagnosed me. The blood test was 8 pages long. My ANA was through the roof! I am grateful to finally know and understand why I"ve been feeling this way for the last 35 years. I also tested positive (with 2 tests) for Sjogren"s disease. I don"t have the typical aches and pains and joint problems, but my mouth is always dry and I must have juice or water all the time next to me. I take 5mg prednisone daily, Plaquenil 200mg twice a day and 5mg Norvasc daily. I am very new to this disease, since I have only known I have it since one month ago. I get tired very easily and don"t have much energy. I have really good medical insurance for which I am grateful to have at this time.

Comment from: Heidi, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 06

I was diagnosed at 37 with Sjogren's, I am sure I had it for many years before. I now have rheumatoid arthritis and fibromyalgia. It has been getting worse and worse. I was on all kinds of medications however nothing is working. Dry eyes, dry nose, dry mouth, sensitive mouth and teeth, headaches, joint and muscle pain; face gland hurts like I have been punched, every day. Fatigue is almost always high. I nap 2 to 3 hours a day then all night or I cannot sleep at all. Brain keeps going and body says no. I hope for something to help in the future. This is not a way to live.

Comment from: Denise, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 07

I think I have had Sjogren's for a long time. I have always had dry mouth and eyes, my skin is fair so it is dry also. I was diagnosed with lupus back in 1993, Sjogren's around 2001. It was very bad for around 5 years, then I found MSM (methylsulfonylmethane). It has helped me feel much better. I now have found tulsi tea, I no longer have reflux and am off my medications. I still have my cough, and problem swallowing, but I'm not hurting that much. I'm easily fatigued, don't sleep well and all my teeth have been replaced with dentures. Life is better now the Sjogren's is not active.

Comment from: Mocha, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 03

With Sjogren's syndrome my eyes have terrible problems. My corneas are trying to detach, which has left me with permanent vision loss. The pain and irritation is awful. My teeth are a mess. I've had so many root canals and crowns I've lost count, and now I'm going to lose one of my teeth. I suffer from fibromyalgia and osteoarthritis. My skin is extremely sensitive and prone to terrible bouts of itching. I live with irritable bowel syndrome and esophageal spasming. I'm frequently tired.

Comment from: blu, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 09

I was diagnosed with it over 15 year ago. I get all the aches and pains associated with it. The left side of my body is more painful than my right side. I have to take a hot shower each morning just to be able to move. Recently, I started getting pain on my left shoulder. I take public transportation to work. at the end of a work day I would literally stop from walking home just to rest my body, my muscles would feel really heavy and feels like pulling me down. I also get the dryness in my throat and eyes. My ophthalmologist prescribed Restasis eye drops to help the redness and dryness. I would also experience bad taste and smell in my mouth, and people just walk away when I'm around. I have been trying many things just to have cleaning smelling breath as my job is interviewing people. I am also taking pilocarpine for dry mouth. I am desperate.

Sjogren's Syndrome - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with sjogren's syndrome.
Sjogren's Syndrome - Prognosis Question: What is the prognosis for your Sjogren's syndrome?
Sjogren's Syndrome - Treatment and Diet Question: What treatment has been effective for your Sjogren's syndrome? Have you made any dietary changes, and have they been effective in managing your Sjogren's syndrome?