Patient Comments: Sjogren's Syndrome - Symptoms

What symptoms and signs did you experience with Sjogren's syndrome?

Comment from: Alysa, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 10

I haven't been diagnosed (yet) but have suffered dry eyes since teenage years. I now suffer joint pain (since early 30's) and dry mouth and nose lining, get mouth ulcers frequently. My diagnosis so far has been osteoarthritis, arcoxia prescribed). I'm female, 52, and for the last three years have been "menopausal", with hot flashes and suffering from a dry irritating scaly skin rash, often linear, that no one has pinned down. All this together makes me think it could be Sjogren's.

Comment from: cactus3, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 06

My first signs of sjogren's were extreme tiredness, body aches and pains of which I repeatedly went to my local doctor for answers. He eventually sent me to a rheumatologist after my blood work came back abnormal. I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia, osteoarthritis and Sjogren's syndrome. My eyes feel gritty and I often wake up in the morning with no fluid around my eyeballs my mouth gets so dry it is agony if I cannot get to water quickly and I think I am going die. I find the plaquenil has really helped me and I take Chinese herbs, which I think help as well. Keep active and eat a healthy diet .My mother and aunty both had Sjogren's and I believe that my daughter's may have it too.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 05

I was recently diagnosed with Sjogren's. The joint pain and fatigue is overwhelming. With no cure, and no treatment that seems to be helping, I don't know what to do. I can't imagine that I have to live with this pain for the remainder of my life. I am only 45 years old.

Comment from: Marieshell, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: January 03

I am 33 and about two years ago I was diagnosed with Sjogren's disease. I have suffered from many symptoms, even before finding out about it. I have constant dry eyes, dry mouth, my skin is always dry. I stay really sick at my stomach a lot and I am extremely tired. I seem to keep infections and headaches can be really bad. I was a smoker, but knew it was time to quit due to the illness, amongst other things.

Comment from: Female (Patient) Published: January 03

I cannot eat the foods I like because my tongue won't push the food down my throat. I have to eat things like pudding, gravy and soup. This is very frustrating when I am trying to eat my lunch at work and people are watching me, I am afraid I am choking. I'm not choking, I just can't swallow.

Sjogren's Syndrome - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with sjogren's syndrome.
Sjogren's Syndrome - Prognosis Question: What is the prognosis for your Sjogren's syndrome?
Sjogren's Syndrome - Treatment and Diet Question: What treatment has been effective for your Sjogren's syndrome? Have you made any dietary changes, and have they been effective in managing your Sjogren's syndrome?