Patient Comments: Sjogren's Syndrome - Symptoms

What symptoms and signs did you experience with Sjogren's syndrome?

Comment from: houston,texas, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: June 03

I've have just been diagnosed with sjogren's syndrome. I have very dry skin, my mouth is constantly dry. My saliva glands under my ears swell up mostly every other day.

Comment from: Gstmal509, 13-18 Male (Patient) Published: May 23

Hi I am a 15 year old Boy and I was diagnosed with sjogrens syndrome about two years ago. But apart for the Itchy, dry eyes and the glands behind my jaw swelling up every day. I feel ok.

Comment from: Annabelle13, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: May 20

I've been diagnosed with Sjogrens 5 years ago and I am currently 18. Along with Sjogrens I have very bad acid reflux. On top of that I also have Rheumatoid Arthritis, and Crohn's Disease. Now I understand everyone's pain is different, but I live in immense pain everyday and I still keep a smile on my face. Even if you have Sjogren's or other problems don't think about your life stinks, just think about being lucky to live. I look at my diseases as a gift; yes I cry a lot due to the pain and everything else. But these are what makes me; me. I'm to the point where I can't let this run my life. Ladies and Gentlemen I'm sorry but if I can pull of being a young teenager and have this so can you. Never give up with this because yes there are bad days, but it shows how strong of a person you are.

Comment from: Lou, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 12

My symptoms with Sjogren's syndrome are joint pain, throat tightness almost like choking,and reflux occassionally.

Comment from: mhazel, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 03

I am in the process of a diagnosis. I should say, the beginning stages of the process. My symptoms are dry eyes and dry, flaky, cracking eye lids. I also have severe dry mouth, sinusitis, sores in my nose, a lump on the inside part of my lower jaw under my front teeth. I have severe dry skin and lips. My hair is breaking. Sometimes the goopy tears are so thick that I have a hard time seeing. I have vaginal dryness. And the fatigue is almost too much to handle. Hopefully, the doctors are going to say that we're in the beginning stages, but I have a feeling she's not.

Comment from: 45-54 Female Published: April 20

I have Sjogren's and I have spells of pain from head to toe. My whole body feels like one big cramp, with pain. My skin itches all over. I feel like I haven't slept for days when I have an attack.

Comment from: AnnieD, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 14

I was diagnosed with Sjogren's in my early 30's. It started with extreme pain in my knees and progressed to the point where I could hardly move. Over the years I've had a few flare-ups and depression but kept working just so I'd get out of bed in the morning. I'm now in my 60's and lead an almost normal life. I get very tired but the pain is pretty well under control. After reading some of stories here I feel very fortunate. It's a tough road but there's always hope for remission. Good luck to all.

Comment from: 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 12

I was diagnosed with Sjogren's about ten years ago. I am getting ready to turn 63 and the worst part of it for me is the extreme fatigue. There are most days that it just consumes me. I have dry eyes and dry mouth also. I have to use eye drops and drink a lot of water. There are days that I can hardly hold my head up. I have to rest a lot. I am getting ready to see a new doctor, I hope he can offer some treatment for this.

Comment from: justjill, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 29

I have had Sjogren's since 1991 and recently had a flare up and the doctor put me on prednisone. I had been on prednisone before for a short amount of time to calm inflammation down, but this time my blood sugar sky rocketed and now I am diabetic.

Sjogren's Syndrome - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with sjogren's syndrome.
Sjogren's Syndrome - Prognosis Question: What is the prognosis for your Sjogren's syndrome?
Sjogren's Syndrome - Treatment and Diet Question: What treatment has been effective for your Sjogren's syndrome? Have you made any dietary changes, and have they been effective in managing your Sjogren's syndrome?