Patient Comments: Sjogren's Syndrome - Symptoms

What symptoms and signs did you experience with Sjogren's syndrome?

Comment from: csi_babs, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: January 10

I first started with some joint pain, I also had really bad menstrual cycles. I then was diagnosed with fibromyalgia then my allergies went haywire. My Neurologist sent me to a Rheumatologist she did testing on me and found out that I had Sjogren's. All the while the fatigue was horrible. I was having a hard time staying awake during the day and I was in a lot of pain and joint inflammation was unbearable. I have dry mouth all my life so it wasn't an issue until I couldn't swallow my food properly. Here in the last few months my dry eye, mouth, and nasal passages got worse, but I have days where the disease really takes its toll and then I have great days too. I try to stay positive and healthy but it so hard being the mother of 3 boys but I try for them and my husband.

Comment from: sassymiley, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: June 21

I been running to doctors for years only for one to say it was all in my head. Even my family believed that. Dr put me on anti depression meds and now I can't get off them. I feel tired all the time and ache all over too. Now my ankles are swollen and hurt when I walk. My eyes are the worst .Burn or itch all the time and no drops have seemed to work. I am now having trouble breathing and have developed a cough. Finally a DR took some cells from my mouth and diagnosed me with sjogrens. My teeth seem ok. No one else in my family has this.

Comment from: sandraruby, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: June 15

Extreme tiredness, problems with my pancreas, dry eyes, dry mouth sore glands, slow thyroid and general feeling of lethargy. Vaginal dryness resulting in frequent bouts of thrush and water infections.

Comment from: houston,texas, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: June 03

I've have just been diagnosed with sjogren's syndrome. I have very dry skin, my mouth is constantly dry. My saliva glands under my ears swell up mostly every other day.

Comment from: Gstmal509, 13-18 Male (Patient) Published: May 23

Hi I am a 15 year old Boy and I was diagnosed with sjogrens syndrome about two years ago. But apart for the Itchy, dry eyes and the glands behind my jaw swelling up every day. I feel ok.

Comment from: Annabelle13, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: May 20

I've been diagnosed with Sjogrens 5 years ago and I am currently 18. Along with Sjogrens I have very bad acid reflux. On top of that I also have Rheumatoid Arthritis, and Crohn's Disease. Now I understand everyone's pain is different, but I live in immense pain everyday and I still keep a smile on my face. Even if you have Sjogren's or other problems don't think about your life stinks, just think about being lucky to live. I look at my diseases as a gift; yes I cry a lot due to the pain and everything else. But these are what makes me; me. I'm to the point where I can't let this run my life. Ladies and Gentlemen I'm sorry but if I can pull of being a young teenager and have this so can you. Never give up with this because yes there are bad days, but it shows how strong of a person you are.

Comment from: Lou, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 12

My symptoms with Sjogren's syndrome are joint pain, throat tightness almost like choking,and reflux occassionally.

Comment from: mhazel, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 03

I am in the process of a diagnosis. I should say, the beginning stages of the process. My symptoms are dry eyes and dry, flaky, cracking eye lids. I also have severe dry mouth, sinusitis, sores in my nose, a lump on the inside part of my lower jaw under my front teeth. I have severe dry skin and lips. My hair is breaking. Sometimes the goopy tears are so thick that I have a hard time seeing. I have vaginal dryness. And the fatigue is almost too much to handle. Hopefully, the doctors are going to say that we're in the beginning stages, but I have a feeling she's not.

Sjogren's Syndrome - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with sjogren's syndrome.
Sjogren's Syndrome - Prognosis Question: What is the prognosis for your Sjogren's syndrome?
Sjogren's Syndrome - Treatment and Diet Question: What treatment has been effective for your Sjogren's syndrome? Have you made any dietary changes, and have they been effective in managing your Sjogren's syndrome?