Patient Comments: Sjogren's Syndrome - Symptoms

What symptoms and signs did you experience with Sjogren's syndrome?

Comment from: Lou, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 12

My symptoms with Sjogren's syndrome are joint pain, throat tightness almost like choking,and reflux occassionally.

Comment from: mhazel, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 03

I am in the process of a diagnosis. I should say, the beginning stages of the process. My symptoms are dry eyes and dry, flaky, cracking eye lids. I also have severe dry mouth, sinusitis, sores in my nose, a lump on the inside part of my lower jaw under my front teeth. I have severe dry skin and lips. My hair is breaking. Sometimes the goopy tears are so thick that I have a hard time seeing. I have vaginal dryness. And the fatigue is almost too much to handle. Hopefully, the doctors are going to say that we're in the beginning stages, but I have a feeling she's not.

Comment from: 45-54 Female Published: April 20

I have Sjogren's and I have spells of pain from head to toe. My whole body feels like one big cramp, with pain. My skin itches all over. I feel like I haven't slept for days when I have an attack.

Comment from: AnnieD, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 14

I was diagnosed with Sjogren's in my early 30's. It started with extreme pain in my knees and progressed to the point where I could hardly move. Over the years I've had a few flare-ups and depression but kept working just so I'd get out of bed in the morning. I'm now in my 60's and lead an almost normal life. I get very tired but the pain is pretty well under control. After reading some of stories here I feel very fortunate. It's a tough road but there's always hope for remission. Good luck to all.

Comment from: 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 12

I was diagnosed with Sjogren's about ten years ago. I am getting ready to turn 63 and the worst part of it for me is the extreme fatigue. There are most days that it just consumes me. I have dry eyes and dry mouth also. I have to use eye drops and drink a lot of water. There are days that I can hardly hold my head up. I have to rest a lot. I am getting ready to see a new doctor, I hope he can offer some treatment for this.

Comment from: justjill, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 29

I have had Sjogren's since 1991 and recently had a flare up and the doctor put me on prednisone. I had been on prednisone before for a short amount of time to calm inflammation down, but this time my blood sugar sky rocketed and now I am diabetic.

Comment from: kay, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 25

I am 33 and I have been going through hell since I turned 30, it started with kidney stones and I have had 8 surgeries and one loss of my husband due to the pain with being touched. He wasn't strong enough to see me go through it. I was in the hospital and seeing doctors that didn't care about me and never took the time to do the right test so then family started to say it was in my head and then at last I found the doctor I have now and he did all the right tests and is now helping me deal with everything. He sent me to a rheumatologist and he made me feel like a guinea pig so I spoke with my pc doctor and he could see my frustration and new that it's time for someone who could explain to me what I am going trough. Then I got hit with more bad news not only do I have this but Lyme disease too. Wow I am in for it, but hopefully this will help the next that no matter what you go through you got to keep going, fight, fight, fight.

Comment from: wendy t, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 11

My eyes are very dry and it often seems to drive me to distraction. I'm worried that they are going to keep on getting worse and so I won't be able to see to do many of the things which I enjoy.

Sjogren's Syndrome - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with sjogren's syndrome.
Sjogren's Syndrome - Prognosis Question: What is the prognosis for your Sjogren's syndrome?
Sjogren's Syndrome - Treatment and Diet Question: What treatment has been effective for your Sjogren's syndrome? Have you made any dietary changes, and have they been effective in managing your Sjogren's syndrome?