Patient Comments: Sjogren's Syndrome - Symptoms

What symptoms and signs did you experience with Sjogren's syndrome?

Comment from: tanner2604, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 03

I was diagnosed with Sjogren's syndrome about six years ago. It's been a pretty rough ride. I'm in my early 60s and have been denied disability. I own a small business and work part-time in retail just so I can pay for my meds. I now am going through a new phase with lumps forming in my joints.

Comment from: sunshinelady, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 19

I have had Sjogren's for 27 years. It started out with dry eyes and mouth. My tear ducts have been cauterized. I have a mouth full of fillings. 5 years ago I had Non-Hodgkin's Lymphoma in my left breast found as calcifications on mammogram. I was treated with radiation. I'm clean now 5 years later. During testing for the lymphoma the doctor found I have inflammation in my lungs also. I have been dealing with cough for a while. I'm now on Prednisone. I get lots of sinus infections too. I am tired most of the time but I just keep going and am still working full time.

Comment from: Mary, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: April 04

I have had Sjogren's for about 17 years, but now it is affecting more things. My rheumatologist told me that the COPD that I was just diagnosed with, was probably caused by the Sjogren's and now I am having so much difficulty with my esophagus and with swallowing I think it may be related to the Sjogren's. I am constantly drinking water.

Comment from: Molly, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: April 04

I experience extreme fatigue. My mouth is so dry especially at night and my mouth burns. My eyes aren't too bad but the fatigue I find very debilitating and would like to know what I could take to give me energy.

Comment from: Barbara, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 04

When my Sjogren's syndrome was discovered, I started hurting in my hands and feet in my early 30's. Now, in my 60's, my entire joint system hurts every day. Nights are the worst, trying to rest while my joints hurt. My eyes are very dry, but my mouth isn't. My skin and hair is dry. I take prednisone daily, with extra dosage when the pain gets really extreme. I feel bad every day. And sometimes I feel like I cannot walk from one room to the other. I wonder how I will be next year, or the next.

Comment from: momto3, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 09

I have had Sjogren's for several years and have found that mineral oil is a huge relief for the dry skin issues. I use it on every area that bothers me, and it makes a tremendous difference. You can find it at any local drugstore. It is relatively inexpensive, especially after trying almost every product I could get my hands on. Take it day by day, and try to stay positive!

Comment from: tturn31, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 31

I found out that I had Sjogren's syndrone about eight years ago. The doctor that I was seeing didn't act like it was anything to worry about. In the last year or so, my health has taken a turn for the worse. I always have dry eyes. I'm 48, and I feel like 88. I'm in pain all the time, and about six years ago, I had times when my right side up under my ribs hurts really badly for a few days at a time. It seems to be getting worst lately. But doctors can't find out why.

Comment from:, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 11

I have had Sjogren's for the past six years. I'm 51 years old. It was confirmed after having a lip biopsy ordered by my treating Rheumatologist. For the past several years I seem to being worse and worse. My tear ducts are sealed in both my eyes but continue to having redness and gritty feeling, my mouth is so dry my pills no longer help. I sip water day and night. I can't swallow food without washing it down with water. Yes, I also feeling like I'm choking. Bumps and lines are appearing on my inside bottom lip due to blocked glands. The blood vessels in my legs are leaking blood, which is happening weekly now. My rheumatologist referred me to a Hematologist for more work up. I'm also losing weight rapidly which scares me. During all of this testing my beloved rheumatologist passed away. It will be tough filling his shoes. I'm in limbo!

Sjogren's Syndrome - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with sjogren's syndrome.
Sjogren's Syndrome - Prognosis Question: What is the prognosis for your Sjogren's syndrome?
Sjogren's Syndrome - Treatment and Diet Question: What treatment has been effective for your Sjogren's syndrome? Have you made any dietary changes, and have they been effective in managing your Sjogren's syndrome?