Patient Comments: Sjogren's Syndrome - Symptoms

What symptoms and signs did you experience with Sjogren's syndrome?

Comment from: Katdog, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 03

I have burning lips, sore tongue and hot gums because of Sjogren's syndrome. My eyes are constantly blurred. I have tear duct plugs and use Restasis 3 plus times a day. It never goes away and I never have a day without it. Body aches do respond to daily SSRI (selective serotonin re-uptake inhibitors) and Celebrex along with many supplements. Hope this helps someone.

Comment from: Gina, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 23

I have had dry eyes for decades. So much so I was unable to wear contacts. I remember reading a list of symptoms for Sjogren's syndrome back when I was in nursing school and said to myself, 'I bet I have that.' I have dry eyes, fatigue, dry skin and nails, and hair loss at times. Those are the main symptoms. Somewhat dry mouth, but not terrible. I just need to sip fluid but I still have good saliva production as per doctors.

Comment from: goiter girl, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 15

I have Graves' disease and Sjogren's syndrome. It took me 6 years to get a diagnosis. I have joint pain, ear pain, dry mouth, increased cavities, dry eyes, extreme fatigue, dry skin, hair loss, and depression. A friend of mine suggest trying the autoimmune protocol/Paleo diet. It is quite restrictive. I followed it for 3 weeks without fail and felt great and even woke up in a puddle of drool, sounds gross I know. It is not a cure but it did lessen my symptoms. Many books out there I like practical Paleo and the autoimmune cookbook. It takes an effort which is hard with our fatigue, but it is worth it.

Comment from: QuickDigits, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 11

I am a 65-year old female. I was diagnosed about a month ago with SLE (systemic lupus erythematosus), mixed connective tissue disease and Raynaud"s syndrome. My rheumatologist diagnosed me. The blood test was 8 pages long. My ANA was through the roof! I am grateful to finally know and understand why I"ve been feeling this way for the last 35 years. I also tested positive (with 2 tests) for Sjogren"s disease. I don"t have the typical aches and pains and joint problems, but my mouth is always dry and I must have juice or water all the time next to me. I take 5mg prednisone daily, Plaquenil 200mg twice a day and 5mg Norvasc daily. I am very new to this disease, since I have only known I have it since one month ago. I get tired very easily and don"t have much energy. I have really good medical insurance for which I am grateful to have at this time.

Comment from: Heidi, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 06

I was diagnosed at 37 with Sjogren's, I am sure I had it for many years before. I now have rheumatoid arthritis and fibromyalgia. It has been getting worse and worse. I was on all kinds of medications however nothing is working. Dry eyes, dry nose, dry mouth, sensitive mouth and teeth, headaches, joint and muscle pain; face gland hurts like I have been punched, every day. Fatigue is almost always high. I nap 2 to 3 hours a day then all night or I cannot sleep at all. Brain keeps going and body says no. I hope for something to help in the future. This is not a way to live.

Comment from: Denise, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 07

I think I have had Sjogren's for a long time. I have always had dry mouth and eyes, my skin is fair so it is dry also. I was diagnosed with lupus back in 1993, Sjogren's around 2001. It was very bad for around 5 years, then I found MSM (methylsulfonylmethane). It has helped me feel much better. I now have found tulsi tea, I no longer have reflux and am off my medications. I still have my cough, and problem swallowing, but I'm not hurting that much. I'm easily fatigued, don't sleep well and all my teeth have been replaced with dentures. Life is better now the Sjogren's is not active.

Sjogren's Syndrome - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with sjogren's syndrome.
Sjogren's Syndrome - Prognosis Question: What is the prognosis for your Sjogren's syndrome?
Sjogren's Syndrome - Treatment and Diet Question: What treatment has been effective for your Sjogren's syndrome? Have you made any dietary changes, and have they been effective in managing your Sjogren's syndrome?