Patient Comments: Sjogren's Syndrome - Treatment and Diet

What treatment has been effective for your Sjogren's syndrome? Have you made any dietary changes, and have they been effective in managing your Sjogren's syndrome?

Comment from: AKgirl, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 17

I am 49 years old. I was diagnosed with Sjogren's syndrome four years ago after my dental hygienist asked me if I experienced dry mouth (I have lots of dental work in my mouth including implants). She suggested that I go to my doctor for tests. My general doctor referred me to a rheumatologist. My eyes felt "tired" and would bother me in the evening. Tests confirmed Sjogren's and dry eyes progressively got worse. I take the usual: Plaquenil and Restasis. I have tear duct plugs and use eye drops every 20 minutes. For dry mouth I use gum and candy with xylitol, water and Exovac twice a day. I take 1200mg Omega 3 fish oil pills for my eyes and skin. I avoid breads, crackers, chips and popcorn is the worst. I stay active and workout three times a week and I have no joint pain.

Comment from: Dawn, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 02

I am so happy I found this site. I was just diagnosed with Sjogren's syndrome, but my main diagnosis is lupus. I got Sjogren's from lupus. I am 45 years old, and the doctors tell me I have lived with this from birth. I only started noticing weird symptoms a year ago, but nothing that would make me know it is Sjogren's or lupus. I went to a dermatologist, who said I had shingles and prescribed prednisone and an antiviral. The next day I felt great. I had noticed my eyes were so dry they hurt. One was so swollen I was told it was allergies. My mouth was so dry I would choke. I started thinking I was dehydrated. My doctor did too, and sent me to hospital to be rehydrated intravenously. This did not work. Then about three months ago, I noticed my ears were making noises and “killing” me, my glands were swollen, my throat felt like there was a grapefruit and razor blades inside, and I was so tired that I slept for three days/nights in a row. When I finally got up, my kids screamed. My face was distorted, crooked, and that grapefruit I felt in my throat, was even bigger and looked like it was growing on the outside of my neck. I went to ER and they said the shingles had given me Bell's palsy, had affected my adrenal gland, and I also had pneumonia. So basically, I was misdiagnosed, although the prednisone made me feel better. I am wondering if anyone is on medication for all the horrible symptoms. I'm on Plaquenil. Also, I would love to hear how others deal with this disease; anything that helps.

Comment from: Monica, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 11

I have been managing the symptoms of Sjogren's syndrome since the age of 20; I am now 45 years “young.” I deal with the severe dry eyes, mouth and vaginal issues. I've had both tear ducts closed, use Celluvisc for my eyes and drink plenty of water and chew sugarless gum. I floss two times daily and use Biotene at times. I refuse to allow this disease to take over my life. I press through the symptoms and exercise about three times weekly. I even sing in the choir and ignore the coughing and dryness I feel in my throat. I don't focus on the symptoms – I focus on healing and staying healthy. Yes, I do experience fatigue, but I inform my body that I won't experience these symptoms. I take vitamins and continue to move forward. This illness will not hinder my life or affect my happiness. I won't allow it.

Sjogren's Syndrome - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with sjogren's syndrome.
Sjogren's Syndrome - Symptoms Question: What symptoms and signs did you experience with Sjogren's syndrome?
Sjogren's Syndrome - Prognosis Question: What is the prognosis for your Sjogren's syndrome?