Patient Comments: Sinus Infection - Effective Treatments

What kinds of treatments have been effective for your sinus infection?

Comment from: G MA, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 09

I have had sinus infections since age of 3. I had a baby hot water bottle for my face. It is harder to get needed antibiotics other than Lortab. I sleep on three pillows and use a hot rag, with a heating pad on top and hope for a kidney infection because the same antibiotic sulfur drug works on both.

Comment from: karmabarb3, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 06

I have been feeling light headed and airy my eyes seem to dance. I found that my blood pressure had reached 172/105 so doctors put me on Diovanhct320mg, now that fixed that, but I still feel wishy in my head in my eyes. My throat started to hurt, then my jaw behind my eyes, I have been having small headaches, but the pain that is in my face, neck, and throat areas is so bad that I am taking the generic pill for Lortab 10-500 2x's a day. I called my doctor and asked for amoxicillin she gave me a 14 day500 2x's a day. It doesn't seem to be working. I have increased my pain pill. I drive a school bus for a living. Should I go to my doctor's office tomorrow and find out what to do. My sister said she was hospitalized for 7 days with the same thing. She said I could die. Is this true?

Comment from: guck nose, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: February 18

I have had 2 surgeries in 1 year to try to get rid of my chronic sinus infections. In the first surgery I had my deviated septum straightened and bones removed in the maxillary and frontal sinuses to improve mucus flow. That however wasn't enough 3 months later I was suffering again. In the second surgery more holes were drilled and a balloon sinuplasty was attempted. I had relief for only 3 months again and now I have sinus infection again. My routine usually includes salt rinses 2 times a day, veramyst daily, singular, Claritin-D, Sudafed and Ibuprofen around the clock. Plus, I drink linden berry and peppermint tea to help thin the mucus. However, what I have found to be the most effective, yet most uncomfortable remedy is to do an Iodine rinse along with the salt rinse. It burns, tingles and makes the eyes water for about 5 minutes, but it seems to be the only thing at of all of the above that has really given me any relief. Iodine is an antibacterial and helps kill the bacteria, plus keeps the nose environment sterile. The solution must be mixed by a pharmacy by a prescription order.

Comment from: Ann, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 20

I am almost 70 yrs old and have suffered with sinus problems since I was 17 yrs old. During the early years I had washouts where they inserted needles and washed out the mucus, very uncomfortable. Then I had a bone scraping to see if this would enlarge the airway, all to no avail. I don't get the problem as much now, but find that when I do I have to resort to antibiotics. Bactrim seems to be the best. I have side effects with a lot of medication and am allergic to Penicillin. I am finding that the problem starts again when I am in a smoke related area. Even walking down the street behind someone who is smoking will trigger another episode.

Comment from: zipydoodah, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: January 20

I have has sinus problems since I was a young child. Reaching 40 and being diagnosed with chronic sinusitis has led to a lot of trial and error for my specific condition. I must agree with the prior post about the neti pot, it really works and gives relief almost instantly. The frequency of antibiotic treatment (Amox/Clav) has been greatly reduced. There came a time where I was willing to try anything, even that silly "neti pot". I typed in a search on YouTube and actually saw a video posted about how it is done. The silly and safe technique works.

Comment from: Timbar, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: August 23

Snorting saline solution or a product mentioned by someone else called Sino-Fresh,(a spray with mild antibiotic properties)are the only things that have worked for me over the last fifty years.

Sinus Infection - Symptoms Question: What were your symptoms for sinus infection?
Sinus Infection - Home Remedies Question: Please share home remedies for treating a sinus infection.
Sinus Infection - Complications Question: Did you suffer complications of a sinus infection? Please share your experience.
Sinus Infection - Causes Question: Are you prone to sinus infections? If so, what do you believe is the cause(s)?