Patient Comments: Sinus Infection - Effective Treatments

What kinds of treatments have been effective for your sinus infection?

Comment from: Bad sinusitis su, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 19

I have used oregano I think Sinu-Orega whilst pregnant and it was unbelievable great. Not sold in Ireland anymore but cleared my sinus tract instantly.

Comment from: bearylynn, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 28

For 10 years I have had chronic sinusitis. Oral antibiotic for as long as it takes is the only way things clear up. In winter, that can be 3 to 6 months. Oral antibiotics are not very effective; I don't metabolize well. The only (somewhat) effective one is cefpodoxime (Vantin), as it is not metabolized in the liver. Intramuscular antibiotic injections worked best for me, but doctors stopped using them in 1980s. My daughter was recently treated with intramuscular antibiotic injections and it worked better than anything in 23 years of her life. I've found one infectious disease doctor willing to treat with 7 days of IV antibiotics, but I believe the intramuscular antibiotic injections would be more effective and economical. Blood supply to sinus tissues is extremely limited, so it makes sense that intramuscular injection, which maintains low antibiotic level in tissues for a week, would work best. Also other necessary medicines for me are Qnasl (far better than any steroid nasal sprays) and Patanase (antihistamine nasal spray). I had allergy shots (8 years ago for a couple of years), I believe they were helpful, and am beginning to try them again. I have used and failed with nasal steroid sprays, custom mixed antibiotic/steroid nasal spray, liquid steroid (Pulmicort) in nasal rinse, Bactroban ointment (antibiotic ointment directly into nasal passages), and baby shampoo in sinus rinse. Also of note, 3 sinus surgeries caused scar tissue and aggravated lack of drainage/circulation. Later on, surgery was helpful for my daughter, but only because of what I learned from my own disastrous experience. I shopped for a surgeon who I trusted, and who confidently explained exactly what was to be done, specifically, limiting extent of the surgery to least possible trauma in order to effectively open passages.

Comment from: Nana, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: February 28

We retired to the mountains, from the busy city, approximately 5 years ago. About three years ago, I started having sinus problems, allergy related. I never had allergy problems in 62 years of life. My doctor explained that the same happened to her when she moved from the city to this area. Might have something to do with the abundance of the pine trees in the mountains. My sinus/allergy problems have all turned into infections. Antibiotics clear the infection, but help with the seasonal allergy came from the local herbal shop. Dr. Ali's sinus oil is what has helped with the allergy stuff. A little pricey, but well worth it. Nothing harmful in it, but advisable to check with your physician first.

Comment from: Damsellee910, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 12

Nasal irrigation saved me form the worst pain I have ever had from sinus infection! I just used warm salt water and within 15 minutes had relief that prescription painkillers couldn't do. I used a squirt bottle sold just for that reason.

Comment from: soozey1, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 10

I have found my sinus infections are closely related to dairy and sugar consumption. I have found when I cease to have these all my sinus infection also clears.

Comment from: Lynn, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 31

I have had two rounds of steroids, nose sprays, and antibiotics for my sinus infection since Thanksgiving to present, with no relief. Now it is affecting my sleep and rest. I don't know what else to do, I am miserable.

Sinus Infection - Symptoms Question: What were your symptoms for sinus infection?
Sinus Infection - Home Remedies Question: Please share home remedies for treating a sinus infection.
Sinus Infection - Complications Question: Did you suffer complications of a sinus infection? Please share your experience.
Sinus Infection - Causes Question: Are you prone to sinus infections? If so, what do you believe is the cause(s)?