Patient Comments: Sinus Infection - Effective Treatments

What kinds of treatments have been effective for your sinus infection?

Comment from: soozey1, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 10

I have found my sinus infections are closely related to dairy and sugar consumption. I have found when I cease to have these all my sinus infection also clears.

Comment from: cloud, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 30

Try stopping all dairy products for one year! This changed my life and got rid of my sinus infection.

Comment from: James, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: January 06

Bringing body acidity down and making it more alkaline, makes the body a less hospitable place for bacterial infections and helps with sinus infection. Other things that help are avoiding dairy products and sugar, eating greens, vegetables, or sweet potato yams and drinking lemon and apple cider vinegar with water. Hot towel on face and breathing in warm steam are nice. You can try echinacea extract.

Comment from: Don, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: August 13

Saline irrigation has been effective for sinus infection; warm salt water introduced nasally with head back. Repeat several times over sink. It's the best thing I've found.

Comment from: Hotmocha, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 08

I have been having sinus infections for over 20 years. I have undergone 4 surgeries and I still am having the same problems. I feel that this is an area that cannot be corrected with surgery. I have been treated by two different physicians. The first surgery was to put two holes in my sinuses to allow them to drain and then I developed scar tissue. The scar tissue was removed and a stent was put in to prevent further scarring. I then had to have the stent removed. It is three years later and I am back in the same position. I had to undergo another surgery because my MRI appeared to look the same as before as if I had never had any surgery. Today, I am experiencing the same problems, sinusitis and nosebleeds constantly. I am done with sinus surgeries. I will just have to live with it.

Comment from: Ranjit, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: August 27

I'm suffering from sinus problem for the last 9 years. Till this time I have not been able to control this problem. I have taken lot of medicines and nasal spray, which have not helped. I have consulted all the best ENTS but the medicine they have suggested to me have not helped. Due to this problem I suffer from headache, reddish eyes, watering from eyes, fever, nose watering, etc. I take allopathic and homeopathy medicines but they don't help me.

Comment from: G MA, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 09

I have had sinus infections since age of 3. I had a baby hot water bottle for my face. It is harder to get needed antibiotics other than Lortab. I sleep on three pillows and use a hot rag, with a heating pad on top and hope for a kidney infection because the same antibiotic sulfur drug works on both.

Comment from: karmabarb3, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 06

I have been feeling light headed and airy my eyes seem to dance. I found that my blood pressure had reached 172/105 so doctors put me on Diovanhct320mg, now that fixed that, but I still feel wishy in my head in my eyes. My throat started to hurt, then my jaw behind my eyes, I have been having small headaches, but the pain that is in my face, neck, and throat areas is so bad that I am taking the generic pill for Lortab 10-500 2x's a day. I called my doctor and asked for amoxicillin she gave me a 14 day500 2x's a day. It doesn't seem to be working. I have increased my pain pill. I drive a school bus for a living. Should I go to my doctor's office tomorrow and find out what to do. My sister said she was hospitalized for 7 days with the same thing. She said I could die. Is this true?

Sinus Infection - Symptoms Question: What were your symptoms for sinus infection?
Sinus Infection - Home Remedies Question: Please share home remedies for treating a sinus infection.
Sinus Infection - Complications Question: Did you suffer complications of a sinus infection? Please share your experience.
Sinus Infection - Causes Question: Are you prone to sinus infections? If so, what do you believe is the cause(s)?