Patient Comments: Sinus Infection - Effective Treatments

What kinds of treatments have been effective for your sinus infection?

Comment from: Mike J., 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: November 17

Ketek is the only strong antibiotic that works for me to clear bacterial sinus infections. I have tried other antibiotics, but nothing works as fast and thorough as Ketek. I know there are risks to the liver taking this medicine, but I know this works every time I get a bad sinus infection from bacteria.

Published: June 09

I currently have an acute sinus infection which affects the right maxillary cavity only. I had the same problem only two weeks ago but it returned this morning. In my case, the pain has been excruciating and similar to having several toothaches all at one time. Also slight facial swelling, a mild fever and general malaise. I saw a dentist thinking it was a tooth-related but X-rays revealed the sinus infection. The treatment consists of 10 days' Amoxicillin and for pain, Tylenol Arthritis Strength tablets seem to work better than regular Tylenol or Ibuprofen tablets. The first infection lasted approximately five days before the symptoms eased.

Comment from: Timbar, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: August 23

Snorting saline solution or a product mentioned by someone else called Sino-Fresh,(a spray with mild antibiotic properties)are the only things that have worked for me over the last fifty years.

Comment from: lollipop, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 06

Overnight woke up with runny nose, coughing, sore throat, itchy eyes, achy face. Got worse over two days. Went to the doctor. Had ear infection also. She gave me Cefdinir 300 mg, and I felt better the next day. No more symptoms, maybe an occasional cough but it worked. I inhaled too much smoke from a grill. Now I will not stop grilling but I will wear a mask from now on.

Comment from: Nancy, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 02

Lie back on your bed with your head hanging off the side and wash out your sinuses with a saline solution. Shake it all around and then sit up and let it drain out. Be sure to breathe through your mouth!

Comment from: Stuffy in NYC, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 17

I have had a sinus infection for the past eight days and have tried all sorts of over-the-counter medicines to relieve the congestion and breathe clearly: Tylenol Cold and Sinus, cough syrups, lozenges, Sudafed -- nothing has alleviated the congestion until I tried the neti pot. It is a natural way to clear the nasal passages with mild salt water, and it works! The mucus just came out, and I am finally able to breathe!

Comment from: Randy, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: November 17

I recently had an MRI to try and pinpoint why I have been getting migraines. The results informed me that I have chronic sphenoid sinusitis and chronic ethmoid sinusitis. I was prescribed Imitrex for my headaches and am almost to the point of needing one to two every day.

Comment from: ChronicSinusitis, 19-24 (Patient) Published: August 28

Zithromax and Rhinocort Aqua help when I have a sinus infection.

Published: July 09

Recently I flew in an aircraft (ear plugs especially designed for flying). I was in extreme pain with sinus and an ear infection. The doctor on my holiday said my ear almost looked perforated. He prescribed me Solone and Zinnat and I flew back within 48hours of taking them and even read a book on the flight with my earplugs in. This happened in Australia my home

Sinus Infection - Symptoms Question: What were your symptoms for sinus infection?
Sinus Infection - Home Remedies Question: Please share home remedies for treating a sinus infection.
Sinus Infection - Complications Question: Did you suffer complications of a sinus infection? Please share your experience.
Sinus Infection - Causes Question: Are you prone to sinus infections? If so, what do you believe is the cause(s)?