Patient Comments: Sinus Infection - Effective Treatments

What kinds of treatments have been effective for your sinus infection?

Comment from: Nancy, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 02

Lie back on your bed with your head hanging off the side and wash out your sinuses with a saline solution. Shake it all around and then sit up and let it drain out. Be sure to breathe through your mouth!

Comment from: Stuffy in NYC, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 17

I have had a sinus infection for the past eight days and have tried all sorts of over-the-counter medicines to relieve the congestion and breathe clearly: Tylenol Cold and Sinus, cough syrups, lozenges, Sudafed -- nothing has alleviated the congestion until I tried the neti pot. It is a natural way to clear the nasal passages with mild salt water, and it works! The mucus just came out, and I am finally able to breathe!

Comment from: Randy, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: November 17

I recently had an MRI to try and pinpoint why I have been getting migraines. The results informed me that I have chronic sphenoid sinusitis and chronic ethmoid sinusitis. I was prescribed Imitrex for my headaches and am almost to the point of needing one to two every day.

Comment from: ChronicSinusitis, 19-24 (Patient) Published: August 28

Zithromax and Rhinocort Aqua help when I have a sinus infection.

Published: July 09

Recently I flew in an aircraft (ear plugs especially designed for flying). I was in extreme pain with sinus and an ear infection. The doctor on my holiday said my ear almost looked perforated. He prescribed me Solone and Zinnat and I flew back within 48hours of taking them and even read a book on the flight with my earplugs in. This happened in Australia my home

Published: June 05

I have been diagnosed as having chronic sinus infection. Treated with Augmentin for 14 days and Nasonex. I live in Jakarta and went to Bangkok for treatment. I am better now but still have runny nose and a little cough in the morning. I want to avoid surgery. I have no pain now and had none earlier.

Comment from: itsjenjen, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 20

I have periodic bouts of sinusitis, primarily due to seasonal allergies. I have found that saline flushes from a neti pot or Simply Saline along with warm salt water gargles give me the most relief. The great thing about the saline is that you can use it as often as needed.

Comment from: vickyd, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: August 04

My husband has sinus problems due to Wegeners. He gets a lot of drainage that makes him sick to his stomach. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what would be good for him to take? He is a TP patient as well and on immuno drugs. He can't seem to find a med that gives him some relief.

Published: July 31

My symptoms are greatly reduced by strong oral antibiotics. My problem, being in a HMO, is finding a doctor that will prescribe something stronger than Benadryl. Usually after 4-6 days of treatment, the infection goes away.

Comment from: laluna404, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 20

Advil Cold and Sinus has been very effective for clearing up my sinus pain, it takes anywhere from 2 to 5 days to get back to normal.

Sinus Infection - Symptoms Question: What were your symptoms for sinus infection?
Sinus Infection - Home Remedies Question: Please share home remedies for treating a sinus infection.
Sinus Infection - Complications Question: Did you suffer complications of a sinus infection? Please share your experience.
Sinus Infection - Causes Question: Are you prone to sinus infections? If so, what do you believe is the cause(s)?