Patient Comments: Sinus Infection - Effective Treatments

What kinds of treatments have been effective for your sinus infection?

Comment from: lollipop, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 06

Overnight woke up with runny nose, coughing, sore throat, itchy eyes, achy face. Got worse over two days. Went to the doctor. Had ear infection also. She gave me Cefdinir 300 mg, and I felt better the next day. No more symptoms, maybe an occasional cough but it worked. I inhaled too much smoke from a grill. Now I will not stop grilling but I will wear a mask from now on.

Comment from: CaliforniaGirl, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 18

My mom's been suffering with sinusitis for years and years, and does use the Neti pot regularly, which helps a lot. She's also had extremely good luck with a product called Sino Fresh, which contains a natural antiseptic. It's available in many grocery stores, health food stores, or on-line. It's a nice alternative to prescribed antibiotics, and has often provided relief for her when prescriptions were not helping. I've used it with success too, when I get sinusitis occasionally.

Comment from: catskismet, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 20

As a person who has had 4 sinus surgeries. If you get more then one a month you need to be on antibodies for at least 2-3 weeks. Also, do salt water rinse every day. You won't get as many infections throughout the year. That's how they came up with the neti pot. It's cheaper to use a syringe or water in the palm of your hand and sniff it up into the nasal cavities. This really works. I have not done my washes in 4 weeks. Now I have had my second sinus infection in 4 weeks. So, amoxycillin and toroidal and back to the sinus wash. Again it's a teaspoon of salt to a very large cup of warm water. Hope everyone feels better. I am off to do a salt water rinse. BTW do take care of them don't blow off a sinus infection.

Comment from: Zambales, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 20

My case is almost similar to the one published last July except that mine is on the left side maxillary sinusitis. I woke up with pain on the whole left side of my face and observed it for a day and tried to figure out if it was dental or sinus problem. I went to see a doctor the following day and had 4 x-rays taken and found out that my left nasal cavity was filled with mucous that couldn't escape or drain. He prescribed Klaricid 500 mg once a day and clindamycin 300 mg. 3 times a day and it's been 3 days now and the swelling has subsided. I live in the Philippines and this is the first time it happened to me. Usually, just minor allergies and sinus problems, but never this painful swelling.

Comment from: Diana M., 25-34 Female (Caregiver) Published: December 19

My 10-year-old child had a recurring sinus infection. She was on nasal spray therapy (Nasonex) for her rhinitis. Because of her monthly basis of sinus infections, her pediatrician recommended that she use a saline solution spray every day, even if she has no symptoms at all. I found this to be effective, for it has been four months now and her sinus infection has not recurred.

Comment from: Mike J., 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: November 17

Ketek is the only strong antibiotic that works for me to clear bacterial sinus infections. I have tried other antibiotics, but nothing works as fast and thorough as Ketek. I know there are risks to the liver taking this medicine, but I know this works every time I get a bad sinus infection from bacteria.

Published: June 09

I currently have an acute sinus infection which affects the right maxillary cavity only. I had the same problem only two weeks ago but it returned this morning. In my case, the pain has been excruciating and similar to having several toothaches all at one time. Also slight facial swelling, a mild fever and general malaise. I saw a dentist thinking it was a tooth-related but X-rays revealed the sinus infection. The treatment consists of 10 days' Amoxicillin and for pain, Tylenol Arthritis Strength tablets seem to work better than regular Tylenol or Ibuprofen tablets. The first infection lasted approximately five days before the symptoms eased.

Sinus Infection - Symptoms Question: What were your symptoms for sinus infection?
Sinus Infection - Home Remedies Question: Please share home remedies for treating a sinus infection.
Sinus Infection - Complications Question: Did you suffer complications of a sinus infection? Please share your experience.
Sinus Infection - Causes Question: Are you prone to sinus infections? If so, what do you believe is the cause(s)?