Patient Comments: Sinus Infection - Symptoms

What were your symptoms for sinus infection?

Comment from: smeggy, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 16

I had a DTAP (tetanus, diphtheria and pertussis) shot last Friday. It was totally fine at first, but 5 days later (yesterday) the soreness started. Also there was a bit of swelling where the shot was given, with a few small red blotches under it. Today it is even more swollen and there are more blotches traveling farther down my arm. The pain level is about the same but it seems like it is in my shoulder now too. The pain seems worse when I raise my arm up. It's also getting a bit itchy where the red splotches are and my whole upper arm feels hot to the touch. I tried icing it but that makes it itch more and start to prickle. So I am just leaving it alone and hoping it doesn't get worse.

Comment from: Jan, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 25

I had sever coughing that was it. After 3 months I did a CT and I have a severe sinus infection.

Comment from: Chris31UK, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 22

I'm a 31 year old male, previously a smoker before my first pneumothorax. The first time my bottom right lung collapsed and I thought it was angina or heart attack. I was rushed to hospital and they stuck a syringe in and then re-inflated the collapsed part. The following day I was just finishing smoking and I could feel a pain when I breathed in and out and felt my lung capacity drop to 50 percent. I was rushed to hospital again and had a drain. After being on and off suction 3 times they operated and used talc to stick my lung to the wall. My lung is still only 93 percent inflated and I have been in hospital 4 weeks so far. (I am still here!) I'm on flutter bag for the 3rd time now and as long as my lung does not deflate even more in the next 48 hours at least I can go home. I have never known pain like this and would never wish it on anyone. It is actually really scary because most people have recovered in at least half the time I have been here so who knows how long this will last and what the end result will be. My last words; live your life and regret nothing. Spend as much time with your family as possible. One day it will be too late.

Comment from: roy, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: January 07

I have now reached 18 months of earache, upper tooth ache, and sore throat, and my nose feels as if it has been punched. Also my mouth hurts. I have had 14 visits to my doctor and 2 visits to my local hospital. A scan in December 2013 revealed an infection in my sinuses. I think I have tried every tablet spray and DHS (Department of Human Services) treatment listed. To ease my throat I use mouthwash and retire to bed early. I do not know which way to go now.

Comment from: Doreen, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: November 21

I went to my doctor over 3 months ago because of terrible pressure in my head and ears. It was diagnosed as acute sinusitis and I needed my ears syringed. I was given an antibiotic and nasal spray, advised to use olive oil in my ears to soften the wax for syringing. The discharges from nose, green, yellow and blood have pretty well cleared up finally. However, I still have extreme pressure in my head and ears and high pitched noise in my ears and I am coughing all the time. I have trouble with vertigo, have had two trips to the emergency room, 2nd was by ambulance. Each time the pressure and pain in my head and ears are terrible, I have no balance, bad shaking, vomiting and my blood pressure spikes up to 202/92. The 1st time in Emergency the doctor said not to take any more antibiotics and put me on the saline wash and the nasal spray. The last 2 weeks I have noticed pain in my eyes and my eyesight is affected. I am at my wit's end, I can't handle this much longer. I have no energy and just feel like sleeping most of the time. My family doctor did make an appointment for me to see an eye, nose and throat specialist; I just found out today that the wait is 12 months.

Comment from: jpshields, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 01

I have found a cure for my sciatica. If you can't sleep at all at night due to pain, try one 8 oz. cup of coffee, one hour before bedtime.

Sinus Infection - Effective Treatments Question: What kinds of treatments have been effective for your sinus infection?
Sinus Infection - Home Remedies Question: Please share home remedies for treating a sinus infection.
Sinus Infection - Complications Question: Did you suffer complications of a sinus infection? Please share your experience.
Sinus Infection - Causes Question: Are you prone to sinus infections? If so, what do you believe is the cause(s)?