Patient Comments: Sinus Surgery - Recovery

Question:How long was the recovery period of your sinus surgery?

Comment from: Kayla, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 11

I had severe sinus problems after 3 revision rhinoplasty, really stupid on my part! I was sick for 3 years. I had dizziness, shaking, flu-like feeling, blurred vision, heat intolerance, and light and sound sensitivity. I no longer went out. I saw 6 ENTs and I finally saw an ENT doctor at the medical school. He ordered a high resolution CAT scan. I had bad infection, due to blocked sinus and scar tissue, plus some flaps were down. This was fixed and the doctor stitched it back in place. I felt little to no pain, and I didn't take any painkillers. The issue I had during surgery was some sort of tape over my eyelids that really irritated my eyes. A gel-like substance made of shellfish was left in the sinuses which was pretty amazing stuff as I blew it out on the 5th day. Recovery was about two weeks and I was cured.

Comment from: beyok1968, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 11

I had sinus surgery and a turbinate reduction for chronic sinusitis. I am now a month post-surgery and still have some pain and pressure in both ears and like one of them here, I also lost hearing in both ears for several weeks and am where it is slowly getting better. I am still not back to full hearing. My doctor hasn't helped much either. I was told to continue my nasal rinses and sprays and take more pain medication. I've been through a bottle of Percocet and a bottle of Tylenol. It is slowly getting better but has taken a very long time.

Comment from: sherri, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 17

This has now been one week since my maxillary sinus surgery. I had left sinus worked on, for blockage. I still feel out of it. I get very tired and out of energy quite easily. I have pressure around eye and temple area. I have been running a low grade fever of about 99.5. Ice packs help which my doctor never told me. I can feel heat radiating around my left ear, kind of weird. I had very little bleeding but still feel quite swollen, with pressure and fatigue/fever. When people ask I tell them about 10% better each day so I still have about 30% to go I figure. Just my analogy.

Comment from: feeling awful, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 01

One word, awful. I am 4 days post sinus surgery from the balloon, irrigation and turbinate reduction. I feel like I have the flu. I didn"t get sent home with any pain medicine, which wasn"t bad the first day after, due to the anesthesia still in your system. By the 2nd day post operation which was a Friday, I was hurting so bad and doctor office is closed. So no chance of pain medicine there. Tylenol and Motrin don"t cut it. I've had barely any sleep the last 4 days, cold washcloths and nasal rinses constantly. I was told I would be good to work in a week, I am thinking not! Take 2 weeks if you can, and only get surgery if you really need it. I am a chronic sinusitis and allergic rhinitis sufferer, I had headaches every day for the last 6 months and decided to see an ENT.

Comment from: Gracejoy, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 08

I had sinus surgery because after having rhinoplasty I had scar tissue build up that caused a serious sinus infection. I suffered with low grade fever, dizziness, nausea, and blurred vision for two years and I was fed up! I found the very best sinus surgeon with a five star rating. I had all if the sinus scraped and cleaned and he very carefully widened the maxillary sinus opening for drainage and removed a few small polyps. My nose bled many hours, I was amazed at how much blood and for how long it took to really stop, maybe five day. I took one pain killer and I felt better in three days; I could breathe finally, it was amazing. It is one month later to the day it was worth it.

Comment from: LW, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 19

I had the balloon sinuplasty on Monday. It was painful but I can breathe for the first time in 2 years. The bleeding stopped but I have so much drainage it is unreal. I have been unable to blow my nose in months. I guess the surgery is working!

Comment from: Shell Belle, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 02

I had sinus/deviated septum surgery two weeks ago tomorrow. I just went back to work today. Worst part for me was the drain tubes that I had for the first 5 days – I couldn't breathe through my nose! Rinsing every hour got old, quick. After tubes came out I am much better! Still rinsing at least twice a day now and breathing much better!

Sinus Surgery - Experience Question: Share your experience with sinus surgery.