Patient Comments: Sinus Surgery - Experience

Question:Share your experience with sinus surgery.

Comment from: Ace, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: June 09

I had sinus surgery 4 days ago. I had had lightheadedness, pressure in my ears, a slightly deviated septum, and swollen membranes. I was always breathing through my mouth. As far as after surgery, I do feel like I can breathe through my nose a little better. But I used a CPAP for years, and now I can't use one right now, and am having trouble sleeping. I can't blow my nose, lots of facial pain, and on and off headaches. I'm not convinced this will help my lightheadedness but I do think ultimately it will help my breathing. A lot of my negatives you would expect 4 days after surgery, just lots of congestion and not allowed to blow my nose for a bit.

Comment from: Sara, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 25

I had sinus surgery 8 days ago. I had minimal pain the first 5 days as I was taking Percocet every 6 hours. I slept all of the first day and most of the second day, but was up moving around the house after that. I probably could have gone back to work on day 4 or 5, but couldn't drive due to the medications and was still pretty tired. I didn't have any bleeding from my nose, but had significant post nasal drip the first few days. I began saline irrigation on day 3 and lots of dried blood and clumps of stuff came out for 2 days. I haven't seen blood for 3 days though. I have had more pain the last 3 days since I am out of Percocet. Today is the worst. It just feels like a typical sinus headache though. My breathing is so much better at night! My primary motivation for the surgery was actually asthma caused by the post-nasal drip. I have not had to use an inhaler or nebulizer since the second day after surgery. I can sleep flat now, instead of with 8 pillows propping me up. I'm encouraged by results so far, but didn't expect the pain to last this long.

Comment from: Jim, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 12

I had polyps and other obstructive tissues removed with a sinus surgery. I had very little pain except for a dry throat while I slept. I have slept in a chair and after 6 days I started to breathe through both nostrils. I rinse twice a day and I have been taking 2 Tylenol 3 every night before I go to bed. I don't think I am ready to lie down to sleep so I will continue to sleep in a reclining chair.

Comment from: Mar, 65-74 Male (Caregiver) Published: April 20

My husband had sinus surgery 9 months ago. He has a staph infections in the nasal cavity that will not go away even after 13 oral antibiotics and 4 weeks of IV infusions with the infectious disease doctor. He has no energy and feels lethargic all the time. He walks very slowly and feels off balance. We are going to the clinic for help.

Comment from: 3rd sinus surgery, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: February 08

My 3rd sinus surgery was 13 days ago. It feels like a baseball bat to the face, albeit the least painful of the three surgeries. If you are thinking about having this surgery know that doctors are very stingy with and paranoid about issuing strong pain medications these days. Hydrocodone is not a strong pain medication. You may get lucky and be issued strong pain medications that actually work and receive enough of them but don't bet on it. Their medical licenses and the government's statistics are far more important than your unnecessary suffering.

Comment from: 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: February 12

I am two weeks out since my sinus surgery and my sinuses are much clearer but I'm experiencing a lot of fatigue.

Comment from: chilipepper, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: February 02

I had FES (functional endoscopic sinus) surgery to drain maxillary sinuses filled with infection, and deviated septum. I am not going to lie, it is very painful even with strong narcotics. I didn't have a choice because of infection but if you have the choice I would consider other options. I only hope the pain is worth it in the long run. I had a junkie nurse who stole my pain medicines in recovery room so I suffered unnecessarily right off the bat.

Comment from: aps, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 01

I am 9 days post-operation, and had polyps removed and a deviated septum repaired. The surgeon after the operation stated that my sinuses were a mess. I had some bleeding the day of the sinus surgery, but none since. I have had no pain at all and felt I could have gone to work on day two, however, my doctor strongly suggested I take it easy for at least a week. I took a week off of work. I flush my sinuses 3 times a day and drink 2 plus liters of water a day. I was not packed after surgery.

Sinus Surgery - Recovery Question: How long was the recovery period of your sinus surgery?