Patient Comments: Sinus Surgery - Experience

Question:Share your experience with sinus surgery.

Comment from: BreathingBetterNow, Male (Patient) Published: July 28

I had sinus surgery today. It was so much better than deviated septum surgery I had many years ago. So far I'm doing very well, on 1000 mg Tylenol every six hours. I'm feeling really tired and a bit woozy, but I can get around the house on my own, and helped make dinner. I have gauze taped to my nose to catch any dripping blood, but didn't have to change it out until 8 hours after it was first applied. Any time I get up and move around it drips a little, especially if I tilt my head down. I'll check back in a couple of days to update.

Comment from: sara, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 21

I had sinus surgery on December 30th, 2014. I have had an awful time healing. I can breathe better at times, but I have this awful smell. I have had to go back to The ENT numerous time to get scabs removed. I also have had staph infection in my nose. I have been on so many antibiotics I'm probably immune to them. I don't really know what to do next.

Comment from: Suffering, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: April 30

It's been ten days since sinus surgery. It is terrible, like I have the flu. I am unable to breathe through my nose. I have had lots of bloody discharge, plenty of pain in my face, ears and throat. I have ulcers in mouth and throat, and dry, cracked lips. There's has been no benefit so far. I wouldn't do it again!

Comment from: 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 30

I had sinus surgery two years ago because of chronic sinus infections (every six weeks). The surgery itself wasn't bad but recovery was. No pain or anything like that but it was horrifically bloody. My nose bled almost constantly and when my nose wasn't bleeding, I was puking blood. I was thrilled with the surgery because I noticed an improvement in my senses of smell and taste, however, I now have a chronic dry cough and the sensation of a glob of mucus stuck in my throat. The only way to not cough all the time is to take cough drops. I go through about 3 or 4 bags of Halls each week.

Comment from: kthmiles, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 23

Recovery from sinus surgery for me was about 2 weeks before I was feeling decent and then about 3 months when I felt back to normal. I'm not going to lie, this was my worst surgery yet (and I've had 7). That was 9 months ago. I have not been sick since then and I can breathe through my nose. Make sure you do exactly as they say after the surgery. I have to use a nasal irrigation every day, or I start to get stuffy again. But it's worth it to me.

Comment from: juliaB, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 05

I had polyps removed and a repaired deviated septum 2 weeks ago (3 and a half hour operation). The first 4 days were difficult until the packing was removed as I had very little sleep due to having to breathe through the mouth. Pain was not too bad overall but I have had episodes of worse pain if I have tilted face forward for a while or worn my glasses. My nose and front teeth are numb and I've had a couple of episodes of ear ache. I've realized the pain is worse if I don't take it easy. I will be back to work next week but definitely needed 2 weeks, wish I had known how difficult it would be as I would have arranged for more help!

Comment from: Sheryl, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 20

I had sinus surgery and correction of a deviated septum two weeks ago. I was surprised at how much bleeding there was after the surgery. I wasn"t informed beforehand of this. I took a week off work. The only negative side-effect I am experiencing now is that my front teeth hurt. I was happy to read that this is normal because my surgeon did not inform me that this could be expected. I hope I see positive results from the procedure because it is not a minor undertaking. It will all be worth it if I see positive results - I hope to know within a few more weeks.

Comment from: ramhawks, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: December 13

I had sinus surgery on the 13th of November and it was tough for 4 days but once the tubes were removed it was downhill all the way. I have had problems for over 50 years and now I can breathe. I have real mucus problems and I have been on sublingual drops since late October and I am improving each day. It was worth going through. I had a wonderful doctor and staff. The hospital staff was great as well. I am so glad that I finally took the step to improve my life.

Sinus Surgery - Recovery Question: How long was the recovery period of your sinus surgery?