Patient Comments: Sinus Surgery - Experience

Question:Share your experience with sinus surgery.

Comment from: Mar, 65-74 Male (Caregiver) Published: April 20

My husband had sinus surgery 9 months ago. He has a staph infections in the nasal cavity that will not go away even after 13 oral antibiotics and 4 weeks of IV infusions with the infectious disease doctor. He has no energy and feels lethargic all the time. He walks very slowly and feels off balance. We are going to the clinic for help.

Comment from: 3rd sinus surgery, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: February 08

My 3rd sinus surgery was 13 days ago. It feels like a baseball bat to the face, albeit the least painful of the three surgeries. If you are thinking about having this surgery know that doctors are very stingy with and paranoid about issuing strong pain medications these days. Hydrocodone is not a strong pain medication. You may get lucky and be issued strong pain medications that actually work and receive enough of them but don't bet on it. Their medical licenses and the government's statistics are far more important than your unnecessary suffering.

Comment from: chilipepper, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: February 02

I had FES (functional endoscopic sinus) surgery to drain maxillary sinuses filled with infection, and deviated septum. I am not going to lie, it is very painful even with strong narcotics. I didn't have a choice because of infection but if you have the choice I would consider other options. I only hope the pain is worth it in the long run. I had a junkie nurse who stole my pain medicines in recovery room so I suffered unnecessarily right off the bat.

Comment from: aps, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 01

I am 9 days post-operation, and had polyps removed and a deviated septum repaired. The surgeon after the operation stated that my sinuses were a mess. I had some bleeding the day of the sinus surgery, but none since. I have had no pain at all and felt I could have gone to work on day two, however, my doctor strongly suggested I take it easy for at least a week. I took a week off of work. I flush my sinuses 3 times a day and drink 2 plus liters of water a day. I was not packed after surgery.

Comment from: BreathingBetterNow, Male (Patient) Published: July 28

I had sinus surgery today. It was so much better than deviated septum surgery I had many years ago. So far I'm doing very well, on 1000 mg Tylenol every six hours. I'm feeling really tired and a bit woozy, but I can get around the house on my own, and helped make dinner. I have gauze taped to my nose to catch any dripping blood, but didn't have to change it out until 8 hours after it was first applied. Any time I get up and move around it drips a little, especially if I tilt my head down. I'll check back in a couple of days to update.

Comment from: 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: February 12

I am two weeks out since my sinus surgery and my sinuses are much clearer but I'm experiencing a lot of fatigue.

Comment from: sara, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 21

I had sinus surgery on December 30th, 2014. I have had an awful time healing. I can breathe better at times, but I have this awful smell. I have had to go back to The ENT numerous time to get scabs removed. I also have had staph infection in my nose. I have been on so many antibiotics I'm probably immune to them. I don't really know what to do next.

Comment from: Suffering, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: April 30

It's been ten days since sinus surgery. It is terrible, like I have the flu. I am unable to breathe through my nose. I have had lots of bloody discharge, plenty of pain in my face, ears and throat. I have ulcers in mouth and throat, and dry, cracked lips. There's has been no benefit so far. I wouldn't do it again!

Comment from: 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 30

I had sinus surgery two years ago because of chronic sinus infections (every six weeks). The surgery itself wasn't bad but recovery was. No pain or anything like that but it was horrifically bloody. My nose bled almost constantly and when my nose wasn't bleeding, I was puking blood. I was thrilled with the surgery because I noticed an improvement in my senses of smell and taste, however, I now have a chronic dry cough and the sensation of a glob of mucus stuck in my throat. The only way to not cough all the time is to take cough drops. I go through about 3 or 4 bags of Halls each week.

Sinus Surgery - Recovery Question: How long was the recovery period of your sinus surgery?