Patient Comments: Sinus Surgery - Experience

Question:Share your experience with sinus surgery.

Comment from: Sheryl, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 20

I had sinus surgery and correction of a deviated septum two weeks ago. I was surprised at how much bleeding there was after the surgery. I wasn"t informed beforehand of this. I took a week off work. The only negative side-effect I am experiencing now is that my front teeth hurt. I was happy to read that this is normal because my surgeon did not inform me that this could be expected. I hope I see positive results from the procedure because it is not a minor undertaking. It will all be worth it if I see positive results - I hope to know within a few more weeks.

Comment from: ramhawks, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: December 13

I had sinus surgery on the 13th of November and it was tough for 4 days but once the tubes were removed it was downhill all the way. I have had problems for over 50 years and now I can breathe. I have real mucus problems and I have been on sublingual drops since late October and I am improving each day. It was worth going through. I had a wonderful doctor and staff. The hospital staff was great as well. I am so glad that I finally took the step to improve my life.

Comment from: Vanidha, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 28

I had my sinus operation 3 months ago, I also had a deviated septum repaired. The recovery took about two weeks, but I still have congestion even though it is not as bad as before the operation. What I do find strange is that I can consistently smell and taste phlegm, this has only started since after I had the operation. I'm not sure if this warrants a visit to the ENT or whether it will just clear eventually.

Comment from: Joy, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 18

I had my sinus surgery done two days ago and the worst of it is the sore throat, I have barely been able to swallow so have eaten very little for 3 days now. I have ulcers inside my lips, I am guessing from breathing through my mouth, I also have severe bruising on the inside of my arm from trouble getting a tube inside my vein to measure my blood pressure.

Comment from: David, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: January 03

I had sinus surgery 20 days ago. I also had fixed, a mild deviated septum. The doctor said my case was severe. For maybe 5 years I've had a snort, cough, sleep apnea, snoring, and asthma. Since surgery my asthma is worse than ever; very concerning. Sleep apnea is worse (or not improved). I sure hope it gets better! I am not giving up yet.

Comment from: Glee09, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 01

I had sinus surgery 3 weeks ago and I"m just starting to feel aches and pain on the bridge of my nose.

Comment from: Jaydray, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 30

I had sinus surgery 5 days ago for all sinus cavities to be opened up and nasal polyps and it is no mean feat. The pain of this surgery and not being able to blow your nose is unbearable. I just hope it was all worth it in the end.

Comment from: EB, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

I had sinus surgery Wednesday morning and it's Friday afternoon. The bleeding is going away but gosh, it's hard to not blow my nose. I feel congested today even though I don't have any packing. I did not need the pain medications yesterday, but today I have some pain behind my eyes. I will try Tylenol (I'm not taking other drugs except allergy medications). I did a couple of sinus rinses and am trying to stay on top of the saline sprays. I also have antibiotics because I kept getting bouts of pneumonia, which the doctors thought were due to sinus issues. It is too soon to call it is a success right now as I am hurting a little bit today; generally I am optimistic. I am pretty tough and almost thought I could have gone to work but decided to take off a whole week. I am glad that I did because I have bursts of energy and then get tired again quite easily. Reading what others wrote, it seems results take a while to make themselves known. I am hoping that I am able to break the pneumonia/sinus infection cycle with this surgery.

Sinus Surgery - Recovery Question: How long was the recovery period of your sinus surgery?