Patient Comments: Sinus Surgery - Experience

Question:Share your experience with sinus surgery.

Comment from: lioness, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 04

The biggest problem I had after my surgery was the soreness in my throat from the breathing tube. I bleed for 13 hours afterwards but that didn't bother me as much as my throat did. It has been 2 weeks since the surgery and I now taste and smell blood all the time. I also have been getting a lot of headaches although they have been minor.

Comment from: Karyn, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 13

Today is 24 hours after having polyps removed and I am miserable! Taking the pain meds, and been using ice pack all day with no releif! Mostly hurts on the left side around eye and temple area! Can't wait until pain start going away! My throat hurts too from the breathing tube!

Comment from: Jim, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: July 02

I had sinus surgery 5 days ago and still have pressure and congestion. Bleeding has stopped and I still continue to rinse. Hope to get rid of congestion.

Comment from: BONNIE, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 12

FOR ME -DRINKING LOTS OF FLUIDS HELPS YOU WITH BREATHING!!!!

Comment from: jjjjd, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: May 29

I had a blocked sinus, which caused my right eye to pull back into my head. I was told this is called silent sinus syndrome. My ENT operated, and said it won't get any worse. At this point, my right eye tears a lot for no reason and I can't eat spicy foods. I used to love hot food, but now I'm too sensitive. Also I still let these giant “snots” from inside my sinuses every once in awhile. I guess you can say the surgery was a success.

Comment from: Nagles05, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 13

I had sinus surgery five days ago. It was the worst pain I have ever had. I had 5-6 sinus infections since Jan of 2013. They say everyone is different, but on day 5, I still have pain and pressure that is not relieved by OTC pain relievers.

Comment from: Diane, Female Published: May 08

I had surgery done today. I totally agree that the worse pain is from the tube in the throat and the plate holding down the tongue. It felt like the roof of my mouth was scraped by a razor blade 50 times and I swallowed it 20 times. Nose bleeding was expected, but they don't mention this pain.

Comment from: eka30, Male (Patient) Published: April 11

I had surgery six weeks ago and have had four bleeding episodes since then. I'm still not able to resume normal activities and had to go to the ER twice. I really regret not trying other approaches first, and would advise people to think it out carefully. My surgeon made it seem like a simple one-week no-problem procedure.

Comment from: Hooah124, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 01

I had sinus surgery 1.5 weeks ago, just had the splint, tubes and sutures removed today. I'm still having drainage, but not bad. I can breathe through my nose for the first time in many years. The first week of recovery was the worst, a lot of bruising and facial swelling (I had a lot of damage that had to be repaired, so probably what made it worse). I still have some slight bruising under the eyes and my nose is swollen, but other than that recovering well. Biggest thing is to do your research and find a good doctor.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 19

I had sinus surgery 1 1/2 years ago and still have pain and numbness. I have seen four ENTs and am still dealing with these symptoms.

Comment from: 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: February 14

I am 5 days post-op from my sinus surgery and also had a deviated septum fixed. I can't breathe out of my nose yet, but I still have my splints in my nose. My nose is very tender, but it feels so good to do the nasal irrigations. I have been experiencing the same sinus headaches and pressure as before surgery and I hope these symptoms will go away as I recover more. All and all, the surgery wasn't as bad as most people made it out to be. I just hope it works and keeps me from getting sick all the time.

Sinus Surgery - Recovery Question: How long was the recovery period of your sinus surgery?