Table of Contents
- Sinus headache facts
- What are the sinuses?
- What is a sinus headache?
- What causes a sinus headache?
- What are the symptoms of a sinus headache?
- Symptoms with sinus infection
- Symptoms with sinus inflammation
- What kind of a doctor treats sinus headache?
- When should I seek medical care for a sinus headache?
- How is a sinus headache diagnosed?
- What is the treatment for a sinus headache?
- What home remedies help soothe the symptoms of a sinus headache?
- What over-the-counter (OTC) medications treat a sinus headache?
- What prescription medications treat a sinus headache?
- What about surgery for sinus headache?
- What are the complications of a sinus headache?
- Can a sinus headache be prevented?
- What is the prognosis for a sinus headache?
Sinus Infection and Headache Symptoms
Sinus infection is characterized by an infection of the lining tissues of the sinuses within the skull. Early signs and symptoms of a sinus infection include:
- Pain or pressure over the involved area
- Facial tenderness and swelling
- Stuffy nose
- Nasal congestion
- Pain in the jaw
Quick GuideSinus Infection (Sinusitis) Symptoms and Treatment Options
Sinus headache facts
- Sinuses in the face are air the spaces that develop from the nasal passages and help with air humidification and mucus secretion.
- Inflammation of the sinuses may decrease the ability for the mucus to drain, increasing pressure within the sinuses and leading to a sinus headache. Common causes of inflammation include allergies, infections, or colds.
- Symptoms of a sinus headache include pain in the face that may worsen with bending down or straining;
- pain that radiates to the forehead, temple or cheek;
- Diagnosis of sinus headache is often based on history and physical examination. Blood testing and X-rays are usually not required.
- Treatment is directed at decreasing the inflammation within the sinus passages, allowing them to drain, and decreasing the pressure that is the cause of the headache. Antibiotics may not always be necessary.
- Home remedies to treat sinus symptoms are directed at helping the sinuses drain to help relieve pressure and inflammation. These include drinking plenty of fluid to remain hydrated, humidification of air, warm compresses to the face, and over-the-counter (OTC) pain medications. Continue Reading
Rakel, D. and R. E. Rakel. Textbook of Family Medicine,98th ed. Saunders, 2015.
2. WebMD composite image
3. Getty Images
4. Getty Images
5. Getty Images
7. Brayden Knell/WebMD
8. Getty Images
9. Getty Images
11. Getty Images
12. Getty Images
Subscribe to MedicineNet's Allergy and Asthma Newsletter