Patient Comments: Sickle Cell Disease (Anemia) - Diagnosis

How was your sickle cell anemia diagnosed?

Comment from: brownboy, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: December 30

I just went to the emergency room last night because I have bumps on my forehead. The first time I went was for the bump on top of my head which the nurse said was lipoma not even giving me a CT scan. But last night they gave me one because the bump on my forehead grew and is now getting too close to my eye. The results came back with not only bumps on my head but inside, behind my ear. I'm not sure if this is a result of the lack of blood flow caused by the sickle cells. But now I go to sleep and wake up with headaches.

Comment from: Eunno, 25-34 Female (Caregiver) Published: July 05

I am a Kenyan born. I was diagnosed by sickle by 8 months old. I suffered a lot when I was young kid. Most of my life I spend it in hospitals and I could not do what other kids did like swimming, rock climbing but I thank God now because am 30 years old and I don't have sickle any more. God changed my blood type from SS to a perfect AA. I give him all the praise and thanks its over for me and I know when I get kids all of them will be healthy.

Comment from: salome, 7-12 Male (Caregiver) Published: October 22

Well, it was diagnosed when he was about 9 months old. He could not walk or put his foot down so they ran a full blood count and they found out that he had sickle cell anemia.

Comment from: tbone, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 17

My mother said I was crying uncontrollable at 14 months old but there was no tears and my abdomen was as hard as a rock. When I got to the doctor the doctor realized I had not passed any urine for a long while either. Those were the first signs that my doctor followed. I am now 26 years old, with one child.

Comment from: elaine, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: September 24

All my childhood I would get weak from playing activities with friends. My head would get light headed. I would stop playing until it passed and begin playing again. I would see floaters in my eyes when I got weak from playing sports. I also had body pains that I later found out was a crises. I got diagnosed while away at college. I woke up unable to walk because both knees where affected with pain. The emergency room doctor looked at my yellow eyes and diagnosed me with sickle cell before he did any test. He was correct.

Comment from: Arinze231, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: July 06

I am 27 years old from Nigeria and was diagnosed as a sickler from childhood. There has never been a year where there is not a massive visit to hospitals. When I have a crisis I don't care about the number of injections I need. All I need is for the pains to go AWAY.

Comment from: CatLover315, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 29

From what I was told by my mom, I was diagnosed with sickle cell anemia at 2 years old. My mom said that one day I stopped walking and crawling because my hands and feet were swollen. That's when she took me to the doctors and was told that I have sickle cell anemia.

Comment from: MS. Ann, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 25

When I was a young child I would black out at school. One day I cut my leg and it just would not heal no matter what they did. I was taken to four doctors and the 4th one told my parents I had Sickle Cell Anemia {the Disease} and that they should not have any more children. At this time I was 9 years old.

Sickle Cell Disease (Sickle Cell Anemia) - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with sickle cell disease (sickle cell anemia).
Sickle Cell Disease (Sickle Cell Anemia) - Symptoms Question: At what age did symptoms of sickle cell anemia first appear in someone you know? Please describe other symptoms.