Patient Comments: Sickle Cell Disease (Sickle Cell Anemia) - Symptoms

At what age did symptoms of sickle cell anemia first appear in someone you know? Please describe other symptoms.

Comment from: J Nicola, Female (Patient) Published: June 02

I am a 31 years old sickle cell anemia (SCA) patient. My illness was discovered when I was two years old. In my early year, I had a lot of painful crisis but was never hospitalized. I had to be taken to the doctor though, I would be treated and discharged. I have a steady state of 12 and weigh roughly 165 lb. I am often told that I am lying when I say to persons that I have SCA. I try to eat a balanced meal, exercise and I keep myself very warm. Despite the fact I live in Jamaica, the climate may vary so I dress according to the climate. At work I have my sweater and my leg warmers and I never go out with my umbrella. I do not smoke or drink. I find that once we (persons with sickle cell) are educated about our illness, we can live a normal and healthy life. I have no children because of my fear. I would like to have a healthy baby. I cannot bear to see smaller children in pain, it breaks my heart. I do have a high tolerance level, so I can be feeling excruciating pain and not cry out. I am often very tired, despite the fact that I would sleep for 8 hours. I would encourage anyone who is closely involved with a sickle cell patient to educate themselves about the illness as this will foster a better relationship.

Comment from: ferlix, 25-34 Male (Caregiver) Published: April 11

I realized the disease on my first born who later passed away at the age of 2 years and then knew my third born also is suffering from it again. The disease is not easy to deal with, this disease needs money but it's good that we are managing it well.

Sickle Cell Disease (Sickle Cell Anemia) - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with sickle cell disease (sickle cell anemia).
Sickle Cell Disease (Anemia) - Diagnosis Question: How was your sickle cell anemia diagnosed?