Patient Comments: Shoulder Bursitis - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your shoulder bursitis?

Comment from: scout6180, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: September 29

Shoulder bursitis is the most painful condition imaginable. There is absolutely no respite in any conceivable position to eliminate the pain that continues 24/7 without relief. Because of the pain intensity, there is also no sleep which hampers the healing process. On a scale of 1 to 10 for pain, this was a solid 10. In fact, the pain was so bad, I went to the local emergency room after 2 days of pure agony. Even after being put on anti-inflammatory medicines and strong painkillers by the resident doctor there, it still hurts badly. Strangely, I can't recall any specific activity that led to the condition, however the onset was rapid (within 3 hours), but the healing process seems to take forever.

Comment from: marmee, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: April 13

Bursitis caused terrible pain in my right shoulder. It made it impossible to do many simple tasks. I got a cortisone shot in my shoulder and arm which greatly helped the pain, but caused itching and a rash on several parts of my body.

Comment from: Mick, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: January 15

Top of shoulder is painful because of bursitis. It hurts to sleep on, when lifting weights it hurts, doing ups hurts, and sudden movements hurt.

Comment from: Kat, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 13

I have not been diagnosed but I believe my pain is from shoulder bursitis from everything I have read. It started out feeling like I needed to crack or pop my shoulder/arm but couldn't. Gradually it got more and more painful. It hurts when I lift my arm, but particularly with backward movement. When I had it in my left shoulder I couldn't reach back to put my seatbelt on. Now I have it in my right shoulder, can't zip dresses or unsnap bra. I had acupuncture when I had it in my left shoulder and it was amazing. Pain reduced 50% after one visit, and I was pain free after about a month. I am having acupuncture now for the right shoulder. I had 3 treatments so far and pain is about 80% less. I can reach behind me with much less pain. My dad had bursitis in his knee and had cortisone shots for many years, helped temporarily but always came back. I wanted to avoid that so tried the acupuncture. My left shoulder has been pain free for over a year. It's really amazing how well it worked, and freaky because I don't understand it exactly. But it really does work.

Comment from: pain, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 11

About five weeks ago I was gardening, pushing the shovel into the dirt, pulling very hard on old, thick tree roots. I have rheumatoid arthritis but nothing can keep me away from my garden. After a day or so, I noticed severe pain in my shoulders. I went out two days later and began to do weeding. The same symptoms appeared: severe pain in my shoulders, inability to sleep. Because both shoulders are affected with bursitis, I wake up nightly at least four times and cry because no matter how I slept, the pain was definitely a 10. Two days ago I helped my husband move a table. That was the last straw. How stupid can you be! I wasn't thinking. Now, I can't do anything. Putting on a bra is very painful. Getting dressed, putting on deodorant and sleeping is almost impossible. I am on two fentanyl patches every two days for both knees that need replacement but there is no relief from the pain in my shoulders. I think I have been on the patches too long and they no longer work. The worst is not being able to sleep. I have to wake at 5:20 to go to work. I am 62 and cannot afford to retire. I am so tired of being in pain, my neck, knees, shoulders, back, when can I look forward to relief! Cortisone does not help and I cannot get any other pain medication due to the patches.

Comment from: Revjack, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: March 05

I have bursitis, inflamed cuff and arthritis in the right shoulder.

Shoulder Bursitis - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with shoulder bursitis.
Shoulder Bursitis - Treatments Question: What kinds of treatment did you receive for your shoulder bursitis? Were they effective?
Shoulder Bursitis - Prevention Question: Please share suggestions for preventing shoulder strain and bursitis.