Patient Comments: Shoulder Bursitis - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your shoulder bursitis?

Comment from: Dylan, 13-18 Male (Patient) Published: October 09

I'm 17 years old and I do year 12 Physical Education in high school. The other day our class did a skill development activity, which involved throwing tennis balls with our non-dominant hand. I had always had a slight pain in my shoulder whilst performing physical activity, but in doing the skill development activity, I noticed that whenever I threw the ball, my shoulder clicked, and a slight pain surged around my muscles. I also noticed that whenever I do overhead weight training, my shoulder clicked then as well. I went to the doctor and sure enough, I was told I had shoulder bursitis. So, my symptoms of shoulder bursitis exist mainly during throwing, and overhead activities.

Comment from: Mary Mc, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 09

I've had bursitis in my right shoulder for a few years and I have been able to live with it. About six weeks ago I woke up and could barely raise my left arm. Pain got worse and when I shook out a sheet to put it in the dryer, the pain in my shoulder was unbearable. Couldn't raise my arm at all. Off to the emergency room the next day. I was diagnosed with a calcified tendon and bursitis. Nothing helps the pain and I have to sleep with pillows under both shoulders. Oddly enough it feels better to sleep with my arms above my head. At 49, I never thought I would feel this old.

Comment from: Paula, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: September 26

I have had shoulder bursitis for about 6 months. The pain is mostly in the top of the shoulder, and to move my arm back causes the most pain. The pain radiates around my arm and is like a a dull ache, and the top of the shoulder is very sore to touch. I have been unable to sleep on my left side because of the pain, and the pain has woken me at night. Today I went and had X-rays and a CT scan, and they said that the tendons and bursa were both inflamed, so I had a steroid injection. The doctor did say that relief is different for each person, it can be very temporary or it can last for some time. So it remains to be seen what my results are, I am hoping for the latter.

Comment from: Linda, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 22

I have had left shoulder bursitis for about six months now. I have pain nearly all the time and restricted range of movement in my left arm. I can't sleep on my left side. After about 8 weeks of anti-inflammatories, I had a cortisone injection. After about three days it slowly relieved the symptoms and this lasted for about a week (although if I used the arm at all pain would return). The pain came back, and I was told I would have to wait three months between injections. So, I am now on a course of stronger anti-inflammatories, and the pain is still constant. I will be seeing an orthopedic surgeon next week -- maybe more imaging and possible surgery.

Comment from: carol, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: September 08

With my shoulder bursitis, I have constant pain. It becomes worse with certain movements.

Comment from: Recovering, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 13

I have suffered from chronic shoulder pain for 25 years (I'm only 40), mainly muscle spasms and burning sensation around the shoulder blade and trapezius. Until 2 weeks ago I was advised this was all due to my posture and lack of core strength. I felt nobody listened when I said exercise makes the pain worse. I had a shoulder arthroscopy 2 weeks back and my bursa was found to be full of scar tissue. This was removed - now my muscle pain has diminished hugely. Hang in there - there is hope.

Comment from: irana47, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 14

I am 47 years old and I have had pain that started in my shoulder joint and is mainly along my clavicle for two and a half years. The last six months it has got worse with aching down into my arm and down my shoulder blade at the back as well. Surprisingly I have no trouble lifting, but if I shrug or try and push myself up, I get a sharp shooting pain. After X-rays and an ultrasound, I have just been diagnosed with Bursitis. I have been sent to the rheumatologist this week and just had my first steroid and anesthetic injection. It wasn't that bad (just like a school injection).

Shoulder Bursitis - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with shoulder bursitis.
Shoulder Bursitis - Treatments Question: What kinds of treatment did you receive for your shoulder bursitis? Were they effective?
Shoulder Bursitis - Prevention Question: Please share suggestions for preventing shoulder strain and bursitis.