Patient Comments: Shoulder Bursitis - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your shoulder bursitis?

Comment from: niknak22, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 14

I have had a pain in my shoulder for approximately 6 months now, it started with a pain level of 2 out of 10 and is now nearing 10 out of 10! I went to the doctors today and have been told to go back for a steroid injection, I'm very nervous about this but hopefully it should help the pain!

Comment from: nancy, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 14

You should go see an osteopath. I have tried everything and the anti-inflammatory will kill your stomach. Please try this before more shots or surgery.

Comment from: SD, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 09

I went to the Doctor with major shoulder pain. I was given 800 mg (take 3 times a day) of Ibuprofen and told to see an orthopedic doctor. He diagnosed as probably Bursitis or tendinitis. After reading these posts I would say it is bursitis. 800 MG at 3 times a day kicked it out. That stuff was good.

Comment from: symptoms, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: May 01

I injured my shoulder lifting weights. Weight on my side at night sleeping caused pain. Do a search on sleep positions and try and sleep on your back. Have a better mattress (tempur-pedic is what I have) and try placing a pillow below your knees. It helped me. Sleep on your side that is not injured but rotate so that you do not sleep in just that position. Take ibuprofen as that will help. But you just have to rest the shoulder where the injury happened it took me over 4 weeks to get better. Otherwise you will need to see the MD.

Comment from: Julieinid, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 27

I see these posts talking of having this for a week or a month etc, try the past 6yrs straight! I am not old, I was 34 when it started. It drives me crazy and feels like what I imagine arm pain from a heart attack would feel like. I have not seen a doctor for it. I do not have any range of motion issues from it. Sleep/rest helps more than anything.

Comment from: JTH, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 25

Bursitis appeared suddenly in my right shoulder with pain radiating down my arm and into my right chest wall/breast. It's difficult to raise my arm to wash/dry my hair. The more I move, the worse it hurts. Possibly, sleeping on my right side contributed. I tried Celebrex with no luck. I'll try Aleve and hope for the best.

Comment from: minimeme, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 25

I have it in my left shoulder it is painful to sleep on and when I reach out to grab something it is very painful. Have been getting shots in the shoulder but not working. I have been exercising the help but sometimes it just makes it worse. I have both psoriatic arthritis and rheumatoid arthritis.

Comment from: Jill, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 25

I was diagnosed in March of 2008 with Bursitis it lasted about 10 days. Treatment consisted of Naproxen (which made me ill) Tylenol#3 and cortisone. Eventually went away BUT reappeared 7 days ago. Two trips to emergency later I got another shot of cortisone. That was the best form of relief I could have asked for. I feel for those that live with it more frequently!

Comment from: painful bursitis, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 08

I've been having pain from my shoulder bursitis for 5 months now; going through Physical Therapy which seems to help with range of motion but it is most important to do your exercises on a daily basis. The pain is great at night and pain proceeds in the arm as well. It feels like someone is punching the upper arm very, very hard. I've been told that it's a long healing period.

Shoulder Bursitis - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with shoulder bursitis.
Shoulder Bursitis - Treatments Question: What kinds of treatment did you receive for your shoulder bursitis? Were they effective?
Shoulder Bursitis - Prevention Question: Please share suggestions for preventing shoulder strain and bursitis.