Patient Comments: Shoulder Bursitis - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your shoulder bursitis?

Comment from: hurtshoulder1, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: March 05

Right shoulder has limited range. I used to be able to throw a ball and can now barely throw anything further than a few feet. When applying deodorant, I must lift right arm and brace against the wall to expose my underarm. Cannot reach behind to tuck in shirt or thread a belt, and taking off jackets is really painful. I once played varsity football and baseball during high school and also have been a kayaker for the past 13 years. Now, I have to pass on kayaking, bowling, backyard football/baseball games because of my shoulder issues.

Comment from: George, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: March 05

I am currently suffering from Bursitis. It is like nothing I have previously experienced. I am getting severe pain in my left shoulder and referred pain down my arm and into my neck and upper back. I am 8 days into the condition and thankfully the severity of the pain has decreased however I still have trouble sleeping. Treatment has included rest, oral pain killers, gentle massage and gentle left arm movements to ensure my range of movement is not affected. The arm movements are important as I feel they are aiding my recovery. My GP referred me for X-Rays and Ultrasound to confirm the condition and then prescribed the treatment. The condition has affected me both physically and mentally. It is difficult to concentrate on daily activities or be interested in doing things I would normally do. My days are consumed with finding relief from the pain.

Comment from: Stan, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: February 19

Last summer, I was surprised by a wasp whose nest I had inadvertently bothered. I made a very quick swiping movement which injured my shoulder. It didn't bother me a whole lot until a couple of months ago. The bursitis makes it very difficult to find a good sleeping position and I wake up periodically from pain. When I am lying down in bed, it is impossible to lift covers with that arm unless I am lying flat on my back. Icing it helps but only for a short time. I am seeking a more permanent solution.

Comment from: 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 31

I have been suffering with this for near enough a year now. I am 36 and off work sick. Today I have seen a surgeon and he will operate as the injections in the shoulder are no longer working. So at last, there is a light at the end of my tunnel.

Comment from: seeking relief, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 15

I have recently been diagnosed with bursitis. I chose the injection as treatment and have not had any relief. Trying to sleep is a difficult task. I have to sleep in an upright position. The pain medications are not helping either. I am interested in acupuncture as a possible treatment.

Comment from: Bev, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 27

I developed sudden pain in my upper arm towards the shoulder, about 7 months ago. I was only lifting groceries from the car. I assumed I had just pulled a muscle and figured there was no point seeing a doctor. After 6 weeks of agony, unable to lift my arm more than 2 inches out towards the side, and severe pain every night when trying to sleep, I finally went to the doctor. I had an ultrasound which showed some problem with the tendon in the shoulder and inflamed bursa. As I have kidney disease I cannot take non-steroidal pain relief like ibuprofen, naproxen, so there is no adequate pain relief, Panadol does not help. I have been having injections of cortisone every few weeks (under ultrasound) it is a miracle effect but obvious not curing the problem as it returns after a few weeks. My doctor said it is not good to have too many so I don't know what is left now. I am 50, my 4 and 6 year old grandchildren live with me so I need to be very "physical." Getting tops off is really difficult, lifting anything even light, there are so many limitations that cause severe pain. Now been 7 months with no light at the end of the tunnel.

Comment from: Tania, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 15

I have been battling with bursitis and also a partial tear of a tendon in the shoulder for the last 5 months now. My range of movement is limited, can't sleep on that side, have general aching around the shoulder, chest, back and down the arm. Sharp aching pain down the top part of my arm also is consistent and gets worse with exercise/general use. I saw a Physiotherapist for a couple of months however he irritated the bursitis by trying to manipulate the shoulder and I've not gone back. My liver isn't functioning properly now and the doctor says I may need surgery. I just want this to go away so my life can get back to normal.

Shoulder Bursitis - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with shoulder bursitis.
Shoulder Bursitis - Treatments Question: What kinds of treatment did you receive for your shoulder bursitis? Were they effective?
Shoulder Bursitis - Prevention Question: Please share suggestions for preventing shoulder strain and bursitis.