Patient Comments: Shoulder Bursitis - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your shoulder bursitis?

Comment from: retired, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: June 17

Injury last summer by repetitive motion (scrubbing long cement sidewalk with wire brush, removing mold). Following right shoulder injury, endured pain for several mos. thinking it would subside, then had x-rays showing mild arthritis? However, symptoms are constant cracking, pinching of the shoulder, inability to lift heavier objects; strain on muscles, tendons or ligaments. I have range of motion but problems with removing jacket or reaching in the car backseat. Massage therapy helped somewhat, wondering if mri, ct scan, chiropractor, cortisone or more deep tissue massage of shoulder would help. Just 65 and have never had any issues. Eventual frozen shoulder may be a big issue. Ready to get another doctor's opinion/test for bursitis, tendonitis, etc.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 29

First my Mom had frozen shoulder, my two older sisters had it, and then I got it. That's probably one connection. All of us got it between the ages of 40 and 50. That's another connection. Needless to say, I am here with shoulder bursitis again at age 50, but thankfully, not "frozen" yet. After my first bout at around age 40, I was limited in shoulder activities, especially noticeable when hanging out clothes to dry. I think it's in the genes.

Comment from: hurtshoulder1, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: March 05

Right shoulder has limited range. I used to be able to throw a ball and can now barely throw anything further than a few feet. When applying deodorant, I must lift right arm and brace against the wall to expose my underarm. Cannot reach behind to tuck in shirt or thread a belt, and taking off jackets is really painful. I once played varsity football and baseball during high school and also have been a kayaker for the past 13 years. Now, I have to pass on kayaking, bowling, backyard football/baseball games because of my shoulder issues.

Comment from: George, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: March 05

I am currently suffering from Bursitis. It is like nothing I have previously experienced. I am getting severe pain in my left shoulder and referred pain down my arm and into my neck and upper back. I am 8 days into the condition and thankfully the severity of the pain has decreased however I still have trouble sleeping. Treatment has included rest, oral pain killers, gentle massage and gentle left arm movements to ensure my range of movement is not affected. The arm movements are important as I feel they are aiding my recovery. My GP referred me for X-Rays and Ultrasound to confirm the condition and then prescribed the treatment. The condition has affected me both physically and mentally. It is difficult to concentrate on daily activities or be interested in doing things I would normally do. My days are consumed with finding relief from the pain.

Comment from: Stan, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: February 19

Last summer, I was surprised by a wasp whose nest I had inadvertently bothered. I made a very quick swiping movement which injured my shoulder. It didn't bother me a whole lot until a couple of months ago. The bursitis makes it very difficult to find a good sleeping position and I wake up periodically from pain. When I am lying down in bed, it is impossible to lift covers with that arm unless I am lying flat on my back. Icing it helps but only for a short time. I am seeking a more permanent solution.

Comment from: 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 31

I have been suffering with this for near enough a year now. I am 36 and off work sick. Today I have seen a surgeon and he will operate as the injections in the shoulder are no longer working. So at last, there is a light at the end of my tunnel.

Comment from: seeking relief, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 15

I have recently been diagnosed with bursitis. I chose the injection as treatment and have not had any relief. Trying to sleep is a difficult task. I have to sleep in an upright position. The pain medications are not helping either. I am interested in acupuncture as a possible treatment.

Shoulder Bursitis - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with shoulder bursitis.
Shoulder Bursitis - Treatments Question: What kinds of treatment did you receive for your shoulder bursitis? Were they effective?
Shoulder Bursitis - Prevention Question: Please share suggestions for preventing shoulder strain and bursitis.