Patient Comments: Shoulder Bursitis - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your shoulder bursitis?

Comment from: Paula, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: September 26

I have had shoulder bursitis for about 6 months. The pain is mostly in the top of the shoulder, and to move my arm back causes the most pain. The pain radiates around my arm and is like a a dull ache, and the top of the shoulder is very sore to touch. I have been unable to sleep on my left side because of the pain, and the pain has woken me at night. Today I went and had X-rays and a CT scan, and they said that the tendons and bursa were both inflamed, so I had a steroid injection. The doctor did say that relief is different for each person, it can be very temporary or it can last for some time. So it remains to be seen what my results are, I am hoping for the latter.

Comment from: Linda, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 22

I have had left shoulder bursitis for about six months now. I have pain nearly all the time and restricted range of movement in my left arm. I can't sleep on my left side. After about 8 weeks of anti-inflammatories, I had a cortisone injection. After about three days it slowly relieved the symptoms and this lasted for about a week (although if I used the arm at all pain would return). The pain came back, and I was told I would have to wait three months between injections. So, I am now on a course of stronger anti-inflammatories, and the pain is still constant. I will be seeing an orthopedic surgeon next week -- maybe more imaging and possible surgery.

Comment from: Vermont66, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 30

My shoulder bursitis symptoms: feels like I've had a shot in the arm. Radiates to shoulder ball joint area sometimes. Absolutely cannot sleep on that side. Can barely hold my body weight on that arm in yoga.

Comment from: mjl1111, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: September 26

Shoulder bursitis runs in my family. My pain starts under the shoulder blade and swiftly affects my neck, head, shoulder, arm and even electrical shocks that can radiate almost anywhere in my body if i move a certain way. Yoga every morning usually keeps this at bay but any deviation from my schedule can bring the bursitis worse. I highly recommend yoga.

Comment from: carol, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: September 08

With my shoulder bursitis, I have constant pain. It becomes worse with certain movements.

Comment from: Recovering, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 13

I have suffered from chronic shoulder pain for 25 years (I'm only 40), mainly muscle spasms and burning sensation around the shoulder blade and trapezius. Until 2 weeks ago I was advised this was all due to my posture and lack of core strength. I felt nobody listened when I said exercise makes the pain worse. I had a shoulder arthroscopy 2 weeks back and my bursa was found to be full of scar tissue. This was removed - now my muscle pain has diminished hugely. Hang in there - there is hope.

Comment from: irana47, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 14

I am 47 years old and I have had pain that started in my shoulder joint and is mainly along my clavicle for two and a half years. The last six months it has got worse with aching down into my arm and down my shoulder blade at the back as well. Surprisingly I have no trouble lifting, but if I shrug or try and push myself up, I get a sharp shooting pain. After X-rays and an ultrasound, I have just been diagnosed with Bursitis. I have been sent to the rheumatologist this week and just had my first steroid and anesthetic injection. It wasn't that bad (just like a school injection).

Comment from: maggie36, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 14

Hi there I'm 36 years old and I've had a lot of pain in my left shoulder. I just found out that I have bursitis in it and hurts constantly and I have to go for injections to relieve the pain. I hope. I'm left handed and now I'm very limited to what I can do. Just sitting and watching TV my shoulder is in pain. The doctor told me that I've had it for some time now and their just doing something about it.

Shoulder Bursitis - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with shoulder bursitis.
Shoulder Bursitis - Treatments Question: What kinds of treatment did you receive for your shoulder bursitis? Were they effective?
Shoulder Bursitis - Prevention Question: Please share suggestions for preventing shoulder strain and bursitis.