Patient Comments: Shoulder Bursitis - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your shoulder bursitis?

Comment from: Stan, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: February 19

Last summer, I was surprised by a wasp whose nest I had inadvertently bothered. I made a very quick swiping movement which injured my shoulder. It didn't bother me a whole lot until a couple of months ago. The bursitis makes it very difficult to find a good sleeping position and I wake up periodically from pain. When I am lying down in bed, it is impossible to lift covers with that arm unless I am lying flat on my back. Icing it helps but only for a short time. I am seeking a more permanent solution.

Comment from: 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 31

I have been suffering with this for near enough a year now. I am 36 and off work sick. Today I have seen a surgeon and he will operate as the injections in the shoulder are no longer working. So at last, there is a light at the end of my tunnel.

Comment from: seeking relief, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 15

I have recently been diagnosed with bursitis. I chose the injection as treatment and have not had any relief. Trying to sleep is a difficult task. I have to sleep in an upright position. The pain medications are not helping either. I am interested in acupuncture as a possible treatment.

Comment from: Bev, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 27

I developed sudden pain in my upper arm towards the shoulder, about 7 months ago. I was only lifting groceries from the car. I assumed I had just pulled a muscle and figured there was no point seeing a doctor. After 6 weeks of agony, unable to lift my arm more than 2 inches out towards the side, and severe pain every night when trying to sleep, I finally went to the doctor. I had an ultrasound which showed some problem with the tendon in the shoulder and inflamed bursa. As I have kidney disease I cannot take non-steroidal pain relief like ibuprofen, naproxen, so there is no adequate pain relief, Panadol does not help. I have been having injections of cortisone every few weeks (under ultrasound) it is a miracle effect but obvious not curing the problem as it returns after a few weeks. My doctor said it is not good to have too many so I don't know what is left now. I am 50, my 4 and 6 year old grandchildren live with me so I need to be very "physical." Getting tops off is really difficult, lifting anything even light, there are so many limitations that cause severe pain. Now been 7 months with no light at the end of the tunnel.

Comment from: Tania, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 15

I have been battling with bursitis and also a partial tear of a tendon in the shoulder for the last 5 months now. My range of movement is limited, can't sleep on that side, have general aching around the shoulder, chest, back and down the arm. Sharp aching pain down the top part of my arm also is consistent and gets worse with exercise/general use. I saw a Physiotherapist for a couple of months however he irritated the bursitis by trying to manipulate the shoulder and I've not gone back. My liver isn't functioning properly now and the doctor says I may need surgery. I just want this to go away so my life can get back to normal.

Comment from: Dylan, 13-18 Male (Patient) Published: October 09

I'm 17 years old and I do year 12 Physical Education in high school. The other day our class did a skill development activity, which involved throwing tennis balls with our non-dominant hand. I had always had a slight pain in my shoulder whilst performing physical activity, but in doing the skill development activity, I noticed that whenever I threw the ball, my shoulder clicked, and a slight pain surged around my muscles. I also noticed that whenever I do overhead weight training, my shoulder clicked then as well. I went to the doctor and sure enough, I was told I had shoulder bursitis. So, my symptoms of shoulder bursitis exist mainly during throwing, and overhead activities.

Comment from: Mary Mc, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 09

I've had bursitis in my right shoulder for a few years and I have been able to live with it. About six weeks ago I woke up and could barely raise my left arm. Pain got worse and when I shook out a sheet to put it in the dryer, the pain in my shoulder was unbearable. Couldn't raise my arm at all. Off to the emergency room the next day. I was diagnosed with a calcified tendon and bursitis. Nothing helps the pain and I have to sleep with pillows under both shoulders. Oddly enough it feels better to sleep with my arms above my head. At 49, I never thought I would feel this old.

Shoulder Bursitis - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with shoulder bursitis.
Shoulder Bursitis - Treatments Question: What kinds of treatment did you receive for your shoulder bursitis? Were they effective?
Shoulder Bursitis - Prevention Question: Please share suggestions for preventing shoulder strain and bursitis.