Patient Comments: Shoulder Bursitis - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your shoulder bursitis?

Comment from: Revjack, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: March 05

I have bursitis, inflamed cuff and arthritis in the right shoulder.

Comment from: E.R.Johnson, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 31

I fell out of my bed on my left shoulder but, I got the bruises on my right. It has been three months since I have fell. My doctor gave me cortisone shots twice and I had physical therapy, but nothing is helping. I can"t lift my arm above my breast. I do know that there"s something wrong with it. The pain is really bad. And the medicine gabapentin doesn"t help.

Comment from: Chris, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: December 30

I have constant pain. Oral steroids did not help, hydrotherapy did not help so I finally got a steroid shot 2 days ago but there has been no relief.

Comment from: huntincamo, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 31

I have a throbbing pain once again that radiates from my shoulder down the front of my arm sometimes into my hands. I had a similar situation about 3 years ago and my doctor gave me a cortisone shot which miraculously made the pain disappear for a couple of years. Now it's back with a vengeance. I wake up all hours of the night and the dull ache at work drives me crazy. A coworker suggested Aleve.

Comment from: Male1000, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: July 02

Age 50 male who injured shoulder in high school football. Around age 48 shoulder started hurting and lost mobility in shoulder. I started stretching, yoga on my own and regained some mobility and reduced pain (was able to sleep on shoulder where before I could not). Went to ortho doctor and given prednisone and it helped. Went back to ortho and given cortisone shot and almost cured. I do stretching/strength exercises almost every day.

Comment from: suzanne, 55-64 Female Published: June 20

I have had sore shoulder for 3 months the pain at night is enough to drive you crazy. One day it seems fine and as soon as I use the arm it flares up again. I have pain in my shoulder and my hand is weak. I have tingling in my third finger. I had an ultrasound and a cortisone injection. The doctor determined that the bursa and tendons were inflamed.

Comment from: retired, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: June 17

Injury last summer by repetitive motion (scrubbing long cement sidewalk with wire brush, removing mold). Following right shoulder injury, endured pain for several mos. thinking it would subside, then had x-rays showing mild arthritis? However, symptoms are constant cracking, pinching of the shoulder, inability to lift heavier objects; strain on muscles, tendons or ligaments. I have range of motion but problems with removing jacket or reaching in the car backseat. Massage therapy helped somewhat, wondering if mri, ct scan, chiropractor, cortisone or more deep tissue massage of shoulder would help. Just 65 and have never had any issues. Eventual frozen shoulder may be a big issue. Ready to get another doctor's opinion/test for bursitis, tendonitis, etc.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 29

First my Mom had frozen shoulder, my two older sisters had it, and then I got it. That's probably one connection. All of us got it between the ages of 40 and 50. That's another connection. Needless to say, I am here with shoulder bursitis again at age 50, but thankfully, not "frozen" yet. After my first bout at around age 40, I was limited in shoulder activities, especially noticeable when hanging out clothes to dry. I think it's in the genes.

Shoulder Bursitis - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with shoulder bursitis.
Shoulder Bursitis - Treatments Question: What kinds of treatment did you receive for your shoulder bursitis? Were they effective?
Shoulder Bursitis - Prevention Question: Please share suggestions for preventing shoulder strain and bursitis.