Patient Comments: Shoulder Bursitis - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your shoulder bursitis?

Comment from: huntincamo, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 31

I have a throbbing pain once again that radiates from my shoulder down the front of my arm sometimes into my hands. I had a similar situation about 3 years ago and my doctor gave me a cortisone shot which miraculously made the pain disappear for a couple of years. Now it's back with a vengeance. I wake up all hours of the night and the dull ache at work drives me crazy. A coworker suggested Aleve.

Comment from: Male1000, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: July 02

Age 50 male who injured shoulder in high school football. Around age 48 shoulder started hurting and lost mobility in shoulder. I started stretching, yoga on my own and regained some mobility and reduced pain (was able to sleep on shoulder where before I could not). Went to ortho doctor and given prednisone and it helped. Went back to ortho and given cortisone shot and almost cured. I do stretching/strength exercises almost every day.

Comment from: suzanne, 55-64 Female Published: June 20

I have had sore shoulder for 3 months the pain at night is enough to drive you crazy. One day it seems fine and as soon as I use the arm it flares up again. I have pain in my shoulder and my hand is weak. I have tingling in my third finger. I had an ultrasound and a cortisone injection. The doctor determined that the bursa and tendons were inflamed.

Comment from: retired, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: June 17

Injury last summer by repetitive motion (scrubbing long cement sidewalk with wire brush, removing mold). Following right shoulder injury, endured pain for several mos. thinking it would subside, then had x-rays showing mild arthritis? However, symptoms are constant cracking, pinching of the shoulder, inability to lift heavier objects; strain on muscles, tendons or ligaments. I have range of motion but problems with removing jacket or reaching in the car backseat. Massage therapy helped somewhat, wondering if mri, ct scan, chiropractor, cortisone or more deep tissue massage of shoulder would help. Just 65 and have never had any issues. Eventual frozen shoulder may be a big issue. Ready to get another doctor's opinion/test for bursitis, tendonitis, etc.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 29

First my Mom had frozen shoulder, my two older sisters had it, and then I got it. That's probably one connection. All of us got it between the ages of 40 and 50. That's another connection. Needless to say, I am here with shoulder bursitis again at age 50, but thankfully, not "frozen" yet. After my first bout at around age 40, I was limited in shoulder activities, especially noticeable when hanging out clothes to dry. I think it's in the genes.

Comment from: hurtshoulder1, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: March 05

Right shoulder has limited range. I used to be able to throw a ball and can now barely throw anything further than a few feet. When applying deodorant, I must lift right arm and brace against the wall to expose my underarm. Cannot reach behind to tuck in shirt or thread a belt, and taking off jackets is really painful. I once played varsity football and baseball during high school and also have been a kayaker for the past 13 years. Now, I have to pass on kayaking, bowling, backyard football/baseball games because of my shoulder issues.

Comment from: George, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: March 05

I am currently suffering from Bursitis. It is like nothing I have previously experienced. I am getting severe pain in my left shoulder and referred pain down my arm and into my neck and upper back. I am 8 days into the condition and thankfully the severity of the pain has decreased however I still have trouble sleeping. Treatment has included rest, oral pain killers, gentle massage and gentle left arm movements to ensure my range of movement is not affected. The arm movements are important as I feel they are aiding my recovery. My GP referred me for X-Rays and Ultrasound to confirm the condition and then prescribed the treatment. The condition has affected me both physically and mentally. It is difficult to concentrate on daily activities or be interested in doing things I would normally do. My days are consumed with finding relief from the pain.

Shoulder Bursitis - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with shoulder bursitis.
Shoulder Bursitis - Treatments Question: What kinds of treatment did you receive for your shoulder bursitis? Were they effective?
Shoulder Bursitis - Prevention Question: Please share suggestions for preventing shoulder strain and bursitis.