Patient Comments: Shoulder Bursitis - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your shoulder bursitis?

Comment from: 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 19

I have had chronic pancreatitis for 21 years now. It has wreaked havoc on my mental and physical wellbeing. I am not the person I was before I got this illness, it has changed me both mentally and physically into a different person. I believe what we need is more understanding and help from the medical profession.

Comment from: marmee, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: April 13

Bursitis caused terrible pain in my right shoulder. It made it impossible to do many simple tasks. I got a cortisone shot in my shoulder and arm which greatly helped the pain, but caused itching and a rash on several parts of my body.

Comment from: Mick, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: January 15

Top of shoulder is painful because of bursitis. It hurts to sleep on, when lifting weights it hurts, doing ups hurts, and sudden movements hurt.

Comment from: Kat, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 13

I have not been diagnosed but I believe my pain is from shoulder bursitis from everything I have read. It started out feeling like I needed to crack or pop my shoulder/arm but couldn't. Gradually it got more and more painful. It hurts when I lift my arm, but particularly with backward movement. When I had it in my left shoulder I couldn't reach back to put my seatbelt on. Now I have it in my right shoulder, can't zip dresses or unsnap bra. I had acupuncture when I had it in my left shoulder and it was amazing. Pain reduced 50% after one visit, and I was pain free after about a month. I am having acupuncture now for the right shoulder. I had 3 treatments so far and pain is about 80% less. I can reach behind me with much less pain. My dad had bursitis in his knee and had cortisone shots for many years, helped temporarily but always came back. I wanted to avoid that so tried the acupuncture. My left shoulder has been pain free for over a year. It's really amazing how well it worked, and freaky because I don't understand it exactly. But it really does work.

Comment from: pain, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 11

About five weeks ago I was gardening, pushing the shovel into the dirt, pulling very hard on old, thick tree roots. I have rheumatoid arthritis but nothing can keep me away from my garden. After a day or so, I noticed severe pain in my shoulders. I went out two days later and began to do weeding. The same symptoms appeared: severe pain in my shoulders, inability to sleep. Because both shoulders are affected with bursitis, I wake up nightly at least four times and cry because no matter how I slept, the pain was definitely a 10. Two days ago I helped my husband move a table. That was the last straw. How stupid can you be! I wasn't thinking. Now, I can't do anything. Putting on a bra is very painful. Getting dressed, putting on deodorant and sleeping is almost impossible. I am on two fentanyl patches every two days for both knees that need replacement but there is no relief from the pain in my shoulders. I think I have been on the patches too long and they no longer work. The worst is not being able to sleep. I have to wake at 5:20 to go to work. I am 62 and cannot afford to retire. I am so tired of being in pain, my neck, knees, shoulders, back, when can I look forward to relief! Cortisone does not help and I cannot get any other pain medication due to the patches.

Comment from: Lisa, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 11

I had an MRI yesterday on my right shoulder that showed I have bursitis. My pain happens when I raise my arm, reach across my body, reach back and is very bad and wakes me up several times a night. I also have pain that shoots down my arm all the way to my last two fingers sometimes. My doctor gave me a steroid shot and is sending me to physical therapy twice a week for 6 weeks. Hopefully this will help. The steroid shot made it feel better for a while yesterday, but pain is back and I still was woken several times last night.

Comment from: Frenchie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 30

My pain is weird. I have bursitis in my right shoulder. I am totally pain free until I move my arm or extend it. At night is the worst. I can wake up paralyzed in pain, and it takes all my strength and courage to move my shoulder. It feels like someone is stabbing me with a hot knife. After a few rotations and shaking off, pain goes away. The pattern happens 4 to 5 times a night.

Shoulder Bursitis - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with shoulder bursitis.
Shoulder Bursitis - Treatments Question: What kinds of treatment did you receive for your shoulder bursitis? Were they effective?
Shoulder Bursitis - Prevention Question: Please share suggestions for preventing shoulder strain and bursitis.