Patient Comments: Shoulder Bursitis - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your shoulder bursitis?

Comment from: pain, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 11

About five weeks ago I was gardening, pushing the shovel into the dirt, pulling very hard on old, thick tree roots. I have rheumatoid arthritis but nothing can keep me away from my garden. After a day or so, I noticed severe pain in my shoulders. I went out two days later and began to do weeding. The same symptoms appeared: severe pain in my shoulders, inability to sleep. Because both shoulders are affected with bursitis, I wake up nightly at least four times and cry because no matter how I slept, the pain was definitely a 10. Two days ago I helped my husband move a table. That was the last straw. How stupid can you be! I wasn't thinking. Now, I can't do anything. Putting on a bra is very painful. Getting dressed, putting on deodorant and sleeping is almost impossible. I am on two fentanyl patches every two days for both knees that need replacement but there is no relief from the pain in my shoulders. I think I have been on the patches too long and they no longer work. The worst is not being able to sleep. I have to wake at 5:20 to go to work. I am 62 and cannot afford to retire. I am so tired of being in pain, my neck, knees, shoulders, back, when can I look forward to relief! Cortisone does not help and I cannot get any other pain medication due to the patches.

Comment from: Lisa, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 11

I had an MRI yesterday on my right shoulder that showed I have bursitis. My pain happens when I raise my arm, reach across my body, reach back and is very bad and wakes me up several times a night. I also have pain that shoots down my arm all the way to my last two fingers sometimes. My doctor gave me a steroid shot and is sending me to physical therapy twice a week for 6 weeks. Hopefully this will help. The steroid shot made it feel better for a while yesterday, but pain is back and I still was woken several times last night.

Comment from: Frenchie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 30

My pain is weird. I have bursitis in my right shoulder. I am totally pain free until I move my arm or extend it. At night is the worst. I can wake up paralyzed in pain, and it takes all my strength and courage to move my shoulder. It feels like someone is stabbing me with a hot knife. After a few rotations and shaking off, pain goes away. The pattern happens 4 to 5 times a night.

Comment from: mikeb, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: December 16

Mine is in my left shoulder. My pain throbs and it goes down my arm and also goes up my neck. It hurts the worst when I put my arm up, and I cannot reach across my body.

Comment from: liveandlove, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: December 05

I'm 19 and was diagnosed with bursitis three days ago. They gave me a steroid shot and pack Tylenol 3; and the pain still is bad. It's getting to the point that I just want to rip my arm off; not to mention that the pain keeps making me nauseous. I wake up at night in horrible amounts of pain. When I let my arm rest pain just shoots down my arm.

Comment from: graeme, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: October 15

I have suffered from bursitis in both shoulders now for about 2 years. I have had 2 cortisone shots in both, but relief only lasts about a month. I have constant pain and aching, especially at night time which keeps me awake.

Comment from: Tammy, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 27

I think I have bursitis. I broke my shoulder 4 years ago. But in the past 2 months I am having pain in that shoulder that moves from my shoulder down my arm to my hand. It"s especially bad when I have my arm resting in my lap or when I am driving. I am currently taking a muscle relaxer and naproxen.

Comment from: Patty, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 13

I have excruciating pain when I try to move my right arm upwards or around the back of me, it seems to be spreading down my arm. I have very limited mobility with right arm without pain.

Shoulder Bursitis - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with shoulder bursitis.
Shoulder Bursitis - Treatments Question: What kinds of treatment did you receive for your shoulder bursitis? Were they effective?
Shoulder Bursitis - Prevention Question: Please share suggestions for preventing shoulder strain and bursitis.