Patient Comments: Shoulder Bursitis - Experience

Please describe your experience with shoulder bursitis.

Comment from: Andeey, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: November 07

I have bursitis in my left shoulder. Cortisone shot gave no relief. At present I sleep with ice packs under my shoulder and on top of the bend in my arm. It is taking over my days and I am ready for more invasive therapy. I have constant pain. There has been no injury but the possible cause could be my wheelchair.

Comment from: Grey ghost, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: October 15

I've had the symptoms of bursitis on and off for 10 years. Today shoulder bursitis was confirmed as the problem. What I can't believe is the level of pain this time. Pain levels of 6, 7, and 8 are constant and I often have level 10 pain. I have limited range of motion - I can move the arm all over, but the pain is intense. I had anti inflammatory injection at the emergency room, x-rays, and a prescription for narcotic. My pain is manageable for now. I am hoping to resume exercise routine soon.

Comment from: Grandahl, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 07

The first time I experienced shoulder bursitis I was sent to physical therapy. I was lucky to happen to find a therapist that practiced Graston Technique therapy. He cured it with two sessions!

Comment from: Sandy, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 15

My shoulder and left arm were in so much pain that my blood pressure went up to 178/114. I could not raise my arm. I tried heating pad and rest but the pain was too severe. I thought I could possibly be having a heart attack. I went to the emergency room and doctor said I had bursitis.

Comment from: Blitzen1, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 20

I had constant shoulder pain, could not sleep even with Xanax and Lortab. My doctor diagnosed it as bursitis and arthritis, as well as disc degeneration in my neck, causing pain under my shoulder blade. I thought it was a torn rotator cuff, as I had that surgery about eight years ago and didn't want to go through that again. I had a shot of cortisone; as well as a prescription for pain, but didn't sleep for a week and ate everything that wasn't nailed down. Now, I'm all better now. It was so painful that I would wake up screaming when I rolled over at night.

Comment from: wendy, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 02

I had an MR and found out I have bursitis as well as a slight tear on a muscle/tendon in my shoulder. I fell off a chair in October. I had surgery and am seeing a physical therapist. The pain in my shoulder and the recovery process has been much slower than I had hoped it would be.

Comment from: mdbtaa, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: April 18

I had bursitis in my shoulder many years ago in my late 30s, but it resolved within a few weeks. This seems aggravated by holding up my arms at shoulder level or above my head for periods of time. I already take powerful opiate painkillers for peripheral neuropathy, which help somewhat. I applied Voltaren Gel 1% to the affected area and it seems to help, but I can't apply it myself and I live alone. Ice packs do help, but relief is temporary. In my 30s, I wore an arm/shoulder brace for a few weeks and it helped, so I may need to go see an orthopedist for cortisone shot. I can't sleep, even when I take 2 mg of Xanax plus Oxycontin. It just constipates the heck out of me. Arthritis runs in my mother's side of the family, so the genes may be stacked against me. But I will survive. I've experienced far worse.

Comment from: Ronnie, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: April 08

The symptoms of my shoulder bursitis included pain and numbness in my shoulder, along with numbness in my arm and hand.

Shoulder Bursitis - Symptoms Question: What were the symptoms of your shoulder bursitis?
Shoulder Bursitis - Treatments Question: What kinds of treatment did you receive for your shoulder bursitis? Were they effective?
Shoulder Bursitis - Prevention Question: Please share suggestions for preventing shoulder strain and bursitis.