Patient Comments: Shoulder Bursitis - Experience

Please describe your experience with shoulder bursitis.

Comment from: seaweed, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: September 01

I have been a surfer for over 40 years and never had any problems, you can imagine how a surfer relies on shoulders for paddling. I had acute right shoulder and referred arm pain without warning. I tried everything, physiotherapy, cortisone shot, anti-inflammatory medications, rest, and nearly 2 years not surfing, till bingo back in water catching waves with no pain. Now my other shoulder is sore with no warning. Thus here we go again, time seems to be healer for bursitis, so don't give up.

Comment from: kelly, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 02

I had a road accident quite few years ago. Although the accident was minor, I had lots of pain in my left shoulder and neck, but as I was much younger, I did not get it checked. Now I am suffering with bursitis and the pain is traveling to my left breast, it hurts so much, and my shoulder and neck feel numb, hot, tingly and very painful, and every movement hurts. Also the breast feels like a lump, very painful. I don't know what to do.

Comment from: Andeey, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: November 07

I have bursitis in my left shoulder. Cortisone shot gave no relief. At present I sleep with ice packs under my shoulder and on top of the bend in my arm. It is taking over my days and I am ready for more invasive therapy. I have constant pain. There has been no injury but the possible cause could be my wheelchair.

Comment from: Grey ghost, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: October 15

I've had the symptoms of bursitis on and off for 10 years. Today shoulder bursitis was confirmed as the problem. What I can't believe is the level of pain this time. Pain levels of 6, 7, and 8 are constant and I often have level 10 pain. I have limited range of motion - I can move the arm all over, but the pain is intense. I had anti inflammatory injection at the emergency room, x-rays, and a prescription for narcotic. My pain is manageable for now. I am hoping to resume exercise routine soon.

Comment from: MikeS, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: July 31

I have nearly constant pain and tightness in my right forearm, random pain in the back of my hand, random tingling in the fingers, and a constant dull ache in the upper arm between the triceps and shoulder, throw in the level 90 pain in the shoulder occasionally and you've got my normal pain. It started three weeks ago, I had to reach over my head to steady myself by grabbing a ceiling joist, no weight at all, just steadying myself. A week later I smacked my shoulder blade on another ceiling joist, and about cried over it. I've been given oral steroids, 2 different pain killers, and a muscle relaxer with zero relief. If I sleep an hour straight without waking up in pain I consider myself lucky. I have seen a doctor three times, and absolutely no answers from them. I have full range of motion, and full strength still, so I'm stymied, I just want it to stop hurting so bad all day long!

Comment from: dee, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 11

My pain started out in my chest, it was an ache, all the time. Then my shoulder started hurting when I reached up or behind me. I thought it was frozen shoulder, did physiotherapy for a week. I finally went to an orthopedist for the shoulder, and I was diagnosed with bursitis and given a shot 3 days ago. I am waiting for it to work. In the meantime I am using heat and ice. I was told to keep moving it. Easier said than done. I hope the shot works soon.

Comment from: Sunshine, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 22

I have had bursitis in both shoulders over the past 20 years. I have had steroid shots which sometimes help. But some of what I"ve been reading sounds different and may still go together. I would suggest some go see a rheumatologist for a thorough check up; a full blood work antinuclear titer test, blood count panel, RA (rheumatoid arthritis) factor, and so on, not what you usually get from a regular doctor. Also look up things like arthritis, mixed connective tissue disease (MCTD), lupus, fibromyalgia and so on and check there symptoms. Hope this helps someone.

Shoulder Bursitis - Symptoms Question: What were the symptoms of your shoulder bursitis?
Shoulder Bursitis - Treatments Question: What kinds of treatment did you receive for your shoulder bursitis? Were they effective?
Shoulder Bursitis - Prevention Question: Please share suggestions for preventing shoulder strain and bursitis.