Patient Comments: Shoulder Bursitis - Experience

Please describe your experience with shoulder bursitis.

Comment from: mdbtaa, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: April 18

I had bursitis in my shoulder many years ago in my late 30s, but it resolved within a few weeks. This seems aggravated by holding up my arms at shoulder level or above my head for periods of time. I already take powerful opiate painkillers for peripheral neuropathy, which help somewhat. I applied Voltaren Gel 1% to the affected area and it seems to help, but I can't apply it myself and I live alone. Ice packs do help, but relief is temporary. In my 30s, I wore an arm/shoulder brace for a few weeks and it helped, so I may need to go see an orthopedist for cortisone shot. I can't sleep, even when I take 2 mg of Xanax plus Oxycontin. It just constipates the heck out of me. Arthritis runs in my mother's side of the family, so the genes may be stacked against me. But I will survive. I've experienced far worse.

Comment from: Ronnie, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: April 08

The symptoms of my shoulder bursitis included pain and numbness in my shoulder, along with numbness in my arm and hand.

Shoulder Bursitis - Symptoms Question: What were the symptoms of your shoulder bursitis?
Shoulder Bursitis - Treatments Question: What kinds of treatment did you receive for your shoulder bursitis? Were they effective?
Shoulder Bursitis - Prevention Question: Please share suggestions for preventing shoulder strain and bursitis.