Patient Comments: Shock - Cause

What was the cause of your medical shock?

Comment from: Shaina, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 14

I have gone into hypovolemic shock several times in my life. I am anemic and it usually occurs during the week of my period if I am not taking care of myself i.e., taking iron supplement, staying hydrated and eating well.

Comment from: jayjay, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

I was thrown off a horse in 1967 and hurt my wrist, pelvis, and head. Nothing was broken. After my rescue and 8 hours later, I awoke in the middle of the night to a flashing blue light outside my hospital door and my doctor being paged for a code blue. When I awoke a second time I was in a tank of water and a nurse adding pails of ice to it. There was a rubber blanket thing over me and the tank, with just enough space to breathe. I was freezing. Hours had passed according to the wall clock. I awoke the next day back in my hospital bed. All anyone would say was I'd had a close call and had gone into shock. My main injury was listed as a brain concussion.

Comment from: j, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 08

I passed out after a major slip on ice. The pain was severe. I tried to get up and passed out. When revived by bystanders, I was sweating, very dazed and vomited.

Comment from: Floridian, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 19

I went into shock once due to an infection because I waited too long to go to the ER, once due to vomiting from adrenal insufficiency, once due to hemmorhaging and my son went into shock due to blood loss. All four times were treated with IV fluids and other appropriate treatments.

Shock (Medical) - Type Question: What type of medical shock did you experience?
Shock (Medical) - Signs and Symptoms Question: Do you know someone who experienced a shock? Please describe his/her signs and symptoms.
Shock (Medical) - Treatment Question: What kinds of treatment were given to a friend or family member who experienced shock?
Medical Shock - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with medical shock.