Patient Comments: Shock (Medical) - Type

What type of medical shock did you experience?

Comment from: Sue, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 14

I experienced septic shock, I wasn't feeling well and it became hard to breathe. While at the emergency room, I guess my blood pressure dropped, I had a staph pneumonia.

Comment from: Bc, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 19

Three years ago, my shotgun slipped from its corner and discharged hitting my left foot. I heard it falling and rocked back on my heels so that action is what saved my toes but it removed the padding under my toes or the ball. I knew the signs of shock and they immediately set in. I stood there thinking who to call. I started deep breathing and had enough alertness to dial 911. The dispatcher ask me if I was bleeding badly and my response was that if I looked I would throw up. That's when I realized I was walking in a circle in a huge pool of blood. I was calm and told her to tell them the front door was unlocked and I was hanging up now because I was going to pass out and I'll be on the sofa. I hung up, calmly got a towel and wrapped it around my foot and waited and continued to deep breathe. The EMT (emergency medical technician) could not pick up either a pulse or blood pressure, I can't remember which. He panicked. I remember telling him to calm down, he'll find it out in a minute... my anxiety level was high and I remembered enough about shock that it was like I was removing myself from the danger of the situation. I was not myself. I kicked into overdrive. Said things and did things that I would never say or do anyway, I guess I'm saying try and fight it as best as you can. Know the signs and symptoms. I'm good now with no side effects.

Comment from: carole, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 20

I don't know if I was in shock, but I had been admitted in hospital in India and whilst I was undergoing the initial treatment I started to shake and was very cold even under a blanket. I suffered a sudden attack of cholera with severe dharma and vomiting. I could hardly walk.

Shock - Cause Question: What was the cause of your medical shock?
Shock (Medical) - Signs and Symptoms Question: Do you know someone who experienced a shock? Please describe his/her signs and symptoms.
Shock (Medical) - Treatment Question: What kinds of treatment were given to a friend or family member who experienced shock?
Medical Shock - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with medical shock.