Patient Comments: Shingles - Effective Treatments

What kinds of treatments have been effective for your shingles?

Comment from: gjcv, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 06

I had a burning sensation on my skin last week. About three days later, I had three red bumps that broke out. A few days later, the bumps spread to the lower spine. I search the web for conditions based on my symptoms, and found out it was shingles. I also search for home remedies and learned apple cider was a good treatment. Apple cider vinegar has helped me tremendously, based on what I have heard about shingles pain. When I finally went to the doctor, he was shocked that I wasn't in pain. Everyone I talk to says I should be in pain. One friend says that I need to get a second opinion because it can't be shingles without pain. I am thankful for apple cider vinegar and no pain.

Comment from: Justadvise, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: May 01

I started having sciatica pain in my right lower back and right leg. Since I had numerous back operations, I thought it was an inflamed nerve. I went to the doctor, explained about the nerve pain, and also told him about a rash that had started on my butt a couple days before. He looked and told me I had shingles. This scared me. He gave me meds and told me what to do. I used Lotrimin – a cream for your feet, which worked very well. I have had the symptoms now for five days. It is getting better and I am back to work after four days. But I will tell you – it's very painful. Get it checked early.

Comment from: brooke, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: April 11

Originally, I was told I had vaginal herpes. Now it has been seven months and I still have the burning pain. Today I had blood tests and it was discovered that I have shingles. I was on Valtrex and it helped somewhat for seven months, but I couldn't go on. I went to my family doctor and was told about herpes zoster, herpes type 1 (HSV-1, or oral herpes) and herpes type 2 (HSV-2, or genital herpes). I think I waited far too long for a second opinion. By the way – I had lesions only on my buttocks for a short time; no other place.

Comment from: reab, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: April 02

For many years, I have had shingles from my feet all the way to the top of my head. The pain is bad – even the water hurts when I take a shower. Only after researching did I figure out what I have had all this time.

Comment from: Linda, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 08

I've had shingles three times in the last two years. I start feeling a burning pain around my left eye and left ear. The left side of my face begins to itch. Then the rash appears. The pain is so bad that all I can do is cry and pray. It seems like the Acyclovir, Neurontin and painkillers hardly touch the pain. My doctor says that I have too much stress in my life.

Comment from: deano, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: February 01

I woke up on the 12th of January with a lump on my neck (gland enlarged). So I went and saw the doctor who diagnosed me with shingles. He sort of talked me out of drugs. They were on my right side of my back of head and ear. By Monday I had an break out on my face and neck. I was putting an antiseptic cream called Bepanthen on the breakouts even in my hair and ear. I saw the doctor on Tuesday and got Aciclovir(800mg). I stopped taking the Aciclovir on Sunday the 20th as I was pretty much heeled. I was physically stressed from playing sports which I think caused it. Personally I think the Bepanthen eased the rash. I live in New Zealand so I don't know if it's available in the States.

Comment from: Nika, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: September 03

I'm 27, and I've had shingles since 2002. I was shocked when I saw the rash, but I thought it was genital herpes. My doctor recommended Valtrex, and I have been taking it ever since. I basically have outbreaks every month due to my weak immune system, a sickle cell trait. Initially, I used to cry a lot, but now through reading and research, I have become empowered with knowledge to continue my life.

Comment from: stressed at college, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: August 25

I'm 18, and just started college. I've been getting very little sleep and my roommate noticed a nasty rash all over my back. Within two days, the pain wasn't tolerable anymore. I just got my prescription for Famvir, and I'm still waiting to have the Percocet prescription filled until I can get to an outside pharmacy. Shingles is the most painful thing I have ever experienced, and I highly recommend getting seen by a doctor immediately if you even suspect you have shingles.

Shingles - Symptoms Question: What were the symptoms of your shingles?
Shingles - Treatment Question: What was the treatment for your shingles?
Shingles - Vaccine Question: Please describe your experience with the shingles vaccine.
Shingles - Contagious Question: Please describe your experience with shingle contagious period.
Shingles - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with shingles.
Shingles - Complications Question: Please discuss your experience with complications that arise from shingles?
Shingles - Causes Question: What caused your shingles?