Patient Comments: Shingles - Symptoms

What were your shingles symptoms?

Comment from: bmojoh, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 16

I had chicken pox as a child. Last spring I got shingles. Shingles is a very painful disease. The blisters were on my left side of my scapula, down to my waist, and to my spine. The only thing I did was use the cream, and pain pills! It is still painful, and the area where the blisters were, has faded a lot. I wonder if I can get shingles again.

Comment from: P, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 30

I have shingles and I've had severe pain off and on for a week under my left armpit and left chest. Then, the rash appeared on these same areas. I have flu-like symptoms. Even with Valtrex, the symptoms still persist.

Comment from: Jazzbox, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: March 06

I experienced bruised type pain on my lower back and swollen pus like pain below my left nipple for the first two days. On the third day I noticed three pimples on that location which was swollen so I thought it was just an insect bite. The fourth day I went to the doctor wherein he ruled out that I have shingles. It started at my back left (bruised type pain going around my left chest. Pimple type started to swell looking like a rash now. Pain sometimes feels like an itchy stab wound now. I'm taking two medications prescribed which are valacyclovir for shingles and hydrocodone for the pain relief.

Comment from: RP, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: June 30

The stated length of shingles is from 3 to 6 weeks and can last longer. Well I'm starting my third MONTH and although the rash went away very quickly, the pain spasams though not as sever have not changed a bit. I am definitely no stranger to pain but this is by far the worst pain I have ever experienced in my life of 66 years.

Comment from: 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 02

I was diagnosed with shingles two days before my 40th birthday. Happy Birthday to me...My symptoms were pain around my ear and fatigue. I thought I had an ear infection. Then I noticed a very small blistery rash on my scalp that tingled. That's when I knew it was shingles because my mom had them a couple years ago. Because I noticed it early enough, I was immediately put on acyclovir (anti-viral meds). After 3 days they say the anti-virals are worthless, it being too late to treat. My blistery rash healed up and never spread passed the original inch or so on my head. However a red rash did appear on my forehead and my eyelid area which all swelled up. The ophthamologist told me my eye was fine though. I just finished the 10th day of anti-virals. Everything looks good, but I still feel fatigued and some head tingling. I expect and hope this will pass by week's end so I can get back to work next week. My doctor says YES you can get shingles again. He has had it twice himself! So I plan to take better care of myself and pump up my immunity with more exercise and vitamin D.

Comment from: mew, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 31

It started with a strange burning sensation on the lower left part of my back. I dismissed it at first, but the pain continued to increase until finally the rash appeared. It was extremely painful, worst pain I've had and I have had 4 natural childbirths with no pain meds at all.

Comment from: Ginab2, 35-44 Female Published: May 27

I honestly thought I had a broken rib. The right side of my chest, under the right breast, was extremely tender to the touch. If I laid on my back, the sternum itched and hurt and if I laid on my tummy, a certain spot on my back itched and hurt. I purchased an ace wrap .I ripped that bugger off in seconds. There was severe burning and itching and a lot of pain. I was always pain I came home this evening to see blisters forming in patches. I goggled shingles and was directed here. I bet it would be safe to assume that I have shingles.

Comment from: mellow4uonly, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: May 18

At 66 years old shingles hit while I was on vacation in Africa. I didn't know what was happening as rashes appeared on my left leg and next day right over my left kidney area and then on my left side of stomach. Such pain and itching I never knew could happen hit me. I was with a nurse so she advised me to see a doctor. Was told I had Shingles. Treatment was started with Valaciclovir 1000mg b.i.d. along with pain med's. Now into 3rd week, rash has disappeared, but itching still there and slight pains. The Aloe plant was applied directly to rash and it eased the itching a lot.

Shingles - Symptoms Question: What were the symptoms of your shingles?
Shingles - Treatment Question: What was the treatment for your shingles?
Shingles - Vaccine Question: Please describe your experience with the shingles vaccine.
Shingles - Contagious Question: Please describe your experience with shingle contagious period.
Shingles - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with shingles.
Shingles - Complications Question: Please discuss your experience with complications that arise from shingles?
Shingles - Causes Question: What caused your shingles?