Patient Comments: Shingles - Experience

Please describe your experience with shingles.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 19

I have always had health issues since I was a kid. I have had constipation all my childhood till about 4 or 5 years ago. I know have been suffering from constant diarrhea, gas, pain, and bloating. My stomach feels like it is a burning, a raw feeling as well. I also have Hashimoto's which started my journey. I researched about my Hashimoto's and found that most thyroid patients have a gene mutant the MTHFR. I was tested and my test came back I have 2 copies. Both my sister and I have the same C677T which is not good. Before this I went to the gastroenterologist and had a colonoscopy and endoscopy with biopsies. My doctor then ordered a breath test. It also came back very positive. So I have been reading as much as I can on SIBO (small intestinal bacterial overgrowth). I have tried the elimination diet with antibiotics, but nothing got better. So I am now trying to research for a doctor that works with both the MTHFR gene and my SIBO; they seem to go together so I have read. Wish me luck on my journey.

Comment from: Dras4033, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 14

I have experienced shingles 4 times so far, the first time I was 4 months old and had it under my left shoulder blade. The second time it was on my upper hip and down the side of my thigh on the outside on the left side of my body. The third time it was on my right upper hip and last but not least on my right ribs below my breast. I have been told it is extremely rare to get shingles numerous times and that mostly it only happens in older people. So far this has not been the case and now my youngest child has her first round of shingles at age 17, but neither my husband nor I remember her ever having had chicken pox.

Comment from: 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 27

I was given a vaccine for chicken pox (varicella) a month ago, and immediately broke out in a shingles type rash along my waist and abdomen. It is a month now and I am suffering from fatigue, depression and the shingles rash looks pretty bad. I was prescribed anti-viral medication today by my doctor. I had to have a vaccine as I had never contracted any diseases in childhood, and nearly died from measles in 1989.

Comment from: ScarlettandRhett, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 07

Two weeks ago Saturday, I got a little twitch in my right flank. I noticed a small bit of itching, but thought it was a bug bite. By Monday night I couldn't breathe I was in so much pain and was throwing up. Since I had had a kidney stone before (same side) I thought that was what it was. I had my husband take me to the emergency room and I had CT scan blood and urine test. No kidney issue. Still no rash and morphine drip barely touched the pain. They sent me home with a flank pain release. I went to my obstetrician to see if it was my fibroid/uterus. She suggested we schedule a hysterectomy! Next morning my right side from my spine to my groin were itchy and, ta da, rash and we knew it was shingles. The deep kidney pain started to get better. Now I just have a slightly itchy rash. Glad it happened on my right side, since I already have little feeling on that side. I cancelled the biopsy and the scheduled total abdominal hysterectomy! If only I had looked deeper into shingles! I never would have known about the pain it can cause.

Comment from: SRT392, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: March 11

I had the shingles shot last year after having it. I had it 5 times in the last 4 years. I came down with shingles today again so now 6 times.

Comment from: ssingerss, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: July 21

I was told by my pharmacist that the shingles vaccine was free with my insurance and that I should take advantage of it. I know of the pain associated with the malady so I consented. I did, like others, have swelling, redness and then quite a large lump on my arm but was told this is normal. It subsided in a week and so far so good.

Shingles - Symptoms Question: What were the symptoms of your shingles?
Shingles - Treatment Question: What was the treatment for your shingles?
Shingles - Vaccine Question: Please describe your experience with the shingles vaccine.
Shingles - Complications Question: Did you have complications that arose from shingles? Please describe your experience.