Patient Comments: Shingles - Experience

Please describe your experience with shingles.

Comment from: Dras4033, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 14

I have experienced shingles 4 times so far, the first time I was 4 months old and had it under my left shoulder blade. The second time it was on my upper hip and down the side of my thigh on the outside on the left side of my body. The third time it was on my right upper hip and last but not least on my right ribs below my breast. I have been told it is extremely rare to get shingles numerous times and that mostly it only happens in older people. So far this has not been the case and now my youngest child has her first round of shingles at age 17, but neither my husband nor I remember her ever having had chicken pox.

Comment from: 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 27

I was given a vaccine for chicken pox (varicella) a month ago, and immediately broke out in a shingles type rash along my waist and abdomen. It is a month now and I am suffering from fatigue, depression and the shingles rash looks pretty bad. I was prescribed anti-viral medication today by my doctor. I had to have a vaccine as I had never contracted any diseases in childhood, and nearly died from measles in 1989.

Comment from: ScarlettandRhett, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 07

Two weeks ago Saturday, I got a little twitch in my right flank. I noticed a small bit of itching, but thought it was a bug bite. By Monday night I couldn't breathe I was in so much pain and was throwing up. Since I had had a kidney stone before (same side) I thought that was what it was. I had my husband take me to the emergency room and I had CT scan blood and urine test. No kidney issue. Still no rash and morphine drip barely touched the pain. They sent me home with a flank pain release. I went to my obstetrician to see if it was my fibroid/uterus. She suggested we schedule a hysterectomy! Next morning my right side from my spine to my groin were itchy and, ta da, rash and we knew it was shingles. The deep kidney pain started to get better. Now I just have a slightly itchy rash. Glad it happened on my right side, since I already have little feeling on that side. I cancelled the biopsy and the scheduled total abdominal hysterectomy! If only I had looked deeper into shingles! I never would have known about the pain it can cause.

Comment from: SRT392, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: March 11

I had the shingles shot last year after having it. I had it 5 times in the last 4 years. I came down with shingles today again so now 6 times.

Comment from: carma, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 08

I never thought I would get shingles, boy, I was wrong. It started about 9 days ago, I thought I had a cold maybe a flu bug. Then the back side of my right arm felt like someone was holding a hot iron, but I couldn't see a rash, just pain there and under my armpit. Then I had a bump close to my shoulder blade and asked my boyfriend to scratch it and he took the head off. I thought it was a bug bite but it hurt. The next morning I was covered in blisters from my armpit to the side of my breast and chest. I was so sick and in extreme pain but luckily only for a few days. I started reading and this is what worked for me. I applied apple cider vinegar and Listerine 4 or 5 times a day, 200 mg Motrin every 6 hours, cortisone cream with pain reliever, and over the counter generic allergy medicines. I also soaked in a salt water hot tub but don't think that mattered. Within 2 days the pain was barley affecting me, and the blister started drying within 4 days and are almost gone on day 8. I still feel like I have a cold, nausea etc., but minimal pain under my armpit. I do have a very high threshold for pain but I wouldn't wish this on my worst enemy! Going to check out the reviews about the shot, I never want to go through this again if it can be prevented. Hope this helps and thank you to all who supplied wonderful home remedies. Good luck to everyone.

Comment from: Sheila, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: May 17

I had an electrocardiogram (EKG) and it came back abnormal ECG, nonspecific T-wave abnormalities.

Shingles - Symptoms Question: What were the symptoms of your shingles?
Shingles - Treatment Question: What was the treatment for your shingles?
Shingles - Vaccine Question: Please describe your experience with the shingles vaccine.
Shingles - Complications Question: Did you have complications that arose from shingles? Please describe your experience.