Patient Comments: Shingles - Experience

Please describe your experience with shingles.

Comment from: ScarlettandRhett, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 07

Two weeks ago Saturday, I got a little twitch in my right flank. I noticed a small bit of itching, but thought it was a bug bite. By Monday night I couldn't breathe I was in so much pain and was throwing up. Since I had had a kidney stone before (same side) I thought that was what it was. I had my husband take me to the emergency room and I had CT scan blood and urine test. No kidney issue. Still no rash and morphine drip barely touched the pain. They sent me home with a flank pain release. I went to my obstetrician to see if it was my fibroid/uterus. She suggested we schedule a hysterectomy! Next morning my right side from my spine to my groin were itchy and, ta da, rash and we knew it was shingles. The deep kidney pain started to get better. Now I just have a slightly itchy rash. Glad it happened on my right side, since I already have little feeling on that side. I cancelled the biopsy and the scheduled total abdominal hysterectomy! If only I had looked deeper into shingles! I never would have known about the pain it can cause.

Comment from: SRT392, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: March 11

I had the shingles shot last year after having it. I had it 5 times in the last 4 years. I came down with shingles today again so now 6 times.

Comment from: carma, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 08

I never thought I would get shingles, boy, I was wrong. It started about 9 days ago, I thought I had a cold maybe a flu bug. Then the back side of my right arm felt like someone was holding a hot iron, but I couldn't see a rash, just pain there and under my armpit. Then I had a bump close to my shoulder blade and asked my boyfriend to scratch it and he took the head off. I thought it was a bug bite but it hurt. The next morning I was covered in blisters from my armpit to the side of my breast and chest. I was so sick and in extreme pain but luckily only for a few days. I started reading and this is what worked for me. I applied apple cider vinegar and Listerine 4 or 5 times a day, 200 mg Motrin every 6 hours, cortisone cream with pain reliever, and over the counter generic allergy medicines. I also soaked in a salt water hot tub but don't think that mattered. Within 2 days the pain was barley affecting me, and the blister started drying within 4 days and are almost gone on day 8. I still feel like I have a cold, nausea etc., but minimal pain under my armpit. I do have a very high threshold for pain but I wouldn't wish this on my worst enemy! Going to check out the reviews about the shot, I never want to go through this again if it can be prevented. Hope this helps and thank you to all who supplied wonderful home remedies. Good luck to everyone.

Comment from: melkayham, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 01

I have been dealing with shingles for one month. While the pain is finally subsiding, along with the rash, I have bruises on my arm and underarm. I cannot find any references to this, but can only assume this is an aftereffect of the shingles.

Comment from: Filgrastin, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 13

I fortunately had an appointment with my doctor the day prior to discovering my shingles rash. As soon as she saw the rash on the right side of my abdomen she diagnosed it as shingles and gave me a prescription for acyclovir. This has been going on now for over a week. The rash is clearing up with the use of calamine lotion but I still have the pain unless I sit down very carefully keeping my body almost erect. I am taking Tylenol over the counter for pain. My doctor offered me a pain medication which unfortunately I refused but wish I had taken it. I did not get the shingles shot but when all of this is over I will ask my doctor if I should get it.

Comment from: Sanith, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 26

Salicylic acid is a good medicine that can remove plantar warts if you use it properly. I have experience with plantar warts. Use the medicine as described below. Soak your feet in hot water at least 5 to 10 minutes before applying salicylic acid. Apply salicylic acid in the affected area on a daily basis and cover it with a Band-Aid. After one week you can easily remove the wart from your foot. Keep patient and apply the medicine, this is not a dangerous disease but it is a little painful, that's it.

Shingles - Symptoms Question: What were the symptoms of your shingles?
Shingles - Treatment Question: What was the treatment for your shingles?
Shingles - Vaccine Question: Please describe your experience with the shingles vaccine.
Shingles - Complications Question: Did you have complications that arose from shingles? Please describe your experience.