Patient Comments: Shingles - Experience

Please describe your experience with shingles.

Comment from: Blister warrior, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 19

I'm 54 year old woman. Last month I had an attack of severe emotional pain. I couldn't do anything. This has happened to me three or four times in the past two years. This time I kept a close watch at what happened. It lasted about 40 minutes. I have mental illness but this is new. It took 8 days to recover fully. During that time I got pain in my neck and left shoulder down my back. I got a rash in the middle of my back on the left side a couple days later. I had no idea. I left for a trip to see my daughter get married planning on traveling and visiting people over the next month. Someone told me it looked like shingles but I thought if it was it was a mild case because the pain went away and the rash was small. It did seem to spread under my left arm and under my breast but just a few bumps. The only difference was that they crusted over and they are still there six weeks later! I went to the doctor today because five days ago a terrible ache started under my shoulder blade. Over the past couple days the pain spread through to my chest. The rash was never all that bad but this pain is intolerable. It makes me cry! At night is the worst. So now I am on pain meds and hoping that I don't have nerve damage. I wish I had not let this go on so long. What is interesting is that the month before I was exposed to shingles while visiting a friend with them. I think I caught them from her even though I had chicken pox as a child. I am otherwise very healthy and never get sick, although I do have a dissociative disorder that is pretty tough to deal with 24/7. So that might have triggered the immune deficiency. But I was exposed and stayed at her house. I also was re-exposed on returning home from another friend too. I never have seen so many people with shingles in my life.

Shingles - Symptoms Question: What were the symptoms of your shingles?
Shingles - Treatment Question: What was the treatment for your shingles?
Shingles - Vaccine Question: Please describe your experience with the shingles vaccine.
Shingles - Contagious Question: Please describe your experience with shingle contagious period.