Patient Comments: Shingles - Experience

Please describe your experience with shingles.

Comment from: Filgrastin, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 13

I fortunately had an appointment with my doctor the day prior to discovering my shingles rash. As soon as she saw the rash on the right side of my abdomen she diagnosed it as shingles and gave me a prescription for acyclovir. This has been going on now for over a week. The rash is clearing up with the use of calamine lotion but I still have the pain unless I sit down very carefully keeping my body almost erect. I am taking Tylenol over the counter for pain. My doctor offered me a pain medication which unfortunately I refused but wish I had taken it. I did not get the shingles shot but when all of this is over I will ask my doctor if I should get it.

Comment from: Ann, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: October 12

I had the shingles vaccine in January, 2011. Pain in left cheek started on September 30, 2015. By Sunday, rash appeared on left side of face so I went to an urgent care center and was prescribed medication. As the week went on, I got blistery lesions on the side of nose and very close to the eye. Lesions also appeared inside nostril, on roof of mouth, in and around lips, and in throat. I saw my physician on October 7. I had bad headache and very sick feeling, and spent many days in bed. I have no confidence in the vaccine shot I was given. Perhaps it was nothing but water!

Comment from: ro, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: July 21

Many years ago my finger was slammed in a car door fracturing the tip of my finger. The nail was removed and served as a splint. My nail grew back in time but was only attached at the base and not at the top. It grew and continues to grow but now is black at the top.

Comment from: DSW, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 28

The pain started under my right breast. Thinking this is my normal minor pains I have, I ignored it. Then the breast started aching badly. Then the pain moved to under right arm, and then to middle back over to the spine. All in one day this movement occurred. I knew it wasn't normal, went to the doctor and he said it was shingles. He gave me pain medicines (making me sleep, but not long lasting on the pain), salve for the itching, and valacyclovir. I am miserable, but I've noticed if I just get up and move around doing chores, it is not so bad. I notice it much more when sitting down. I had the shingles shot 4 months ago! I am hoping this won't last long because of it. So painful!

Comment from: Karen, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: April 27

On March 26, 2015, I had my first annual anniversary with the horrible and constant pain of post herpetic neuralgia after shingles. The first 9 months was a nightmare; especially at night. I tried every medication in the book prescribed by my primary doctor; and finally ended up with a neurologist and 4800 mg of gabapentin daily. It's the only thing that helps. It's in my armpit; so wearing clothing is difficult. My neurologist indicated he has several patients with the longest duration of 7 years. So by the time this goes, I'll be dead; often I wanted to be. Hang in there, folks.

Comment from: mollyz, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 18

To those of you who are brave enough to report your experience, thank you. However, contrary to the advertisements and popular belief, I am a patient who did get the vaccine and two years later, got a horrific case of shingles. I was out of work for three months and now 8 months later although I'm functioning, I still have PHN (postherpetic neuralgia). Messages to Merck to aid in their research have gone unanswered! Makes one wonder if they're interested in developing an effective product or just putting it on the market! My opinion: don't get the vaccine; I couldn't have possible gotten it any worse if I hadn't!

Comment from: Dumpling, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 21

There is never a mention about shingles in the throat. That is where I had mine seven years ago. I lost 30 pounds in four weeks because I couldn't swallow. I still have nerve damage after all these years.

Shingles - Symptoms Question: What were the symptoms of your shingles?
Shingles - Treatment Question: What was the treatment for your shingles?
Shingles - Vaccine Question: Please describe your experience with the shingles vaccine.
Shingles - Complications Question: Did you have complications that arose from shingles? Please describe your experience.