Patient Comments: Shingles - Experience

Please describe your experience with shingles.

Comment from: sally, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 08

I am a 58 year old teacher. About a week ago I started having a lot of pain in my right buttock and thigh. I thought it was sciatica because we had just finished re-doing a room and decorating for Christmas. The pain in my right thigh got worse and my skin felt super tight and felt like a bad sunburn. I had chills and little appetite. A rash started to appear in spots on my thigh and along my buttocks. I went to work in pain but had the school nurse check out the rash and she told me it looked like shingles. I went to the doctor that afternoon and he diagnosed it. Started the antiviral medication, Lyrica and hydrocodone for pain. I have to stay home from school this whole week. Pain is very bad! I also feel deep pain in the right groin area. Thank goodness for school nurses!

Comment from: Angee, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 05

Thanks to all those that have posted their horrible experiences after having the shingles vaccine. Whether this is in fact the cause or that you would have gotten it after vaccine anyway, no one will ever know, as 1 in 3 people get shingles. In saying this I will not be taking the advice of my doctor and getting a vaccination. I will soldier through with Zovicor and St John's wort and drink plenty of sulfur. I do not get the rash and have had pain only symptoms for 4 years, on and off. I started taking 2 or 3 tbsp twice a day MSM sulfur in water now (build up from 1/2 tsp) as this limits the rash outbreaks, gives you a bounce of energy and makes you feel less sick. But it does not cure shingles. No one has got that right as yet and I'm still waiting. Keep painkillers within arm's reach for those emergency, sleepless, painful nights. Thank you again, fellow shingles victims. Research Mexican hospitals and stem cell therapy for another alternative cure if you can afford it.

Comment from: Andy, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 03

I was diagnosed with a fatty liver when I was 39. I was told by the doctor that it was due to drinking too much alcohol, but I only drank socially at weekends! When I went to see the specialist she said to me to lose weight or end up in an early grave! This really upset me when she said this but I did lose nearly 4 stone and have kept most of it off (put back on around 10 pounds). I am 49 in April, and it has been and continues to be a hard journey! I have not had a drink for many years but would love to have a glass of wine and lemonade on summer days!

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 19

I have always had health issues since I was a kid. I have had constipation all my childhood till about 4 or 5 years ago. I know have been suffering from constant diarrhea, gas, pain, and bloating. My stomach feels like it is a burning, a raw feeling as well. I also have Hashimoto's which started my journey. I researched about my Hashimoto's and found that most thyroid patients have a gene mutant the MTHFR. I was tested and my test came back I have 2 copies. Both my sister and I have the same C677T which is not good. Before this I went to the gastroenterologist and had a colonoscopy and endoscopy with biopsies. My doctor then ordered a breath test. It also came back very positive. So I have been reading as much as I can on SIBO (small intestinal bacterial overgrowth). I have tried the elimination diet with antibiotics, but nothing got better. So I am now trying to research for a doctor that works with both the MTHFR gene and my SIBO; they seem to go together so I have read. Wish me luck on my journey.

Shingles - Symptoms Question: What were the symptoms of your shingles?
Shingles - Treatment Question: What was the treatment for your shingles?
Shingles - Vaccine Question: Please describe your experience with the shingles vaccine.
Shingles - Complications Question: Did you have complications that arose from shingles? Please describe your experience.