Patient Comments: Shingles - Vaccine

Please describe your experience with the shingles vaccine.

A Doctor's View on Shingles Prevention: Who Should Get the Vaccine?

The FDA approved the first vaccine for shingles, Zostavax, in 2006. No serious side effects have been linked to the shingles vaccine. Read the entire Doctor's View

Comment from: twistedpeach, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 26

Shingles is the most painful thing I have ever gone through; much worse than any surgery I have ever had and I've had a lot. Not only is it painful I can't put any clothing on and now that whole side of my body from my upper thigh to just to my ribs is numb. Along with the pain I have I also think the medication is causing me to not be able to urinate so now I have to take medicines for that. I wouldn't wish this on anyone ever! I also had the shingles vaccine!

Comment from: Elisa_dolittle, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 02

Around 6 hours after having the shingles vaccination jab my arm became very red, hot and very swollen. I had to seek medical treatment. So the vaccine was not for me.

Comment from: Now What?, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 21

One year later from having the shingles vaccine, I came down with Ramsay Hunt syndrome. Had I known that this vaccine was only 50% effective and did not help with the virus lying dormant in the 7th cranial nerve, I would never have paid all that money. Now, I cannot work because of my expression, cannot get disability, lost my home and car, and am hopeless. Insurance will not pay for my reconstructive surgery. I lost my hearing as well.

Comment from: 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: June 30

I had the shingle vaccine years ago. I am now battling what the doctors call a severe case that is close to my right eye and my eyelid is involved. I am blind in my left eye, so this is very frightening. I am hoping it does not spread to my eye. I believe the vaccine makes my pain less severe.

Comment from: Jay, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 13

I got the shingles vaccine and one year later I have a case of shingles. The vaccine didn't help me.

Comment from: Deaconzeb, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: December 30

I had the shingles vaccine two years ago. Today I was diagnosed with shingles and the pain is very intense with involvement of the eye. In my case the vaccine did not work or the vaccine itself was manufactured incorrectly.

Comment from: Dizlib, 65-74 Female (Caregiver) Published: November 20

I got the shingles vacine last fall. I had no trouble at all...not even soreness around the injection site. However, my husband put it off and never got the shot. This week he was diagnosed with shingles and is in a lot of pain. GET THE SHOT.

Comment from: Debnky, 55-64 Female Published: November 20

I am 60 years old. The vaccine did not hurt one bit. Basically, they administer it on the fatty part of your arm. No problem, whatsoever. I got it because my granddaughter has leukemia and is in the hospital. We need to take every precaution.

Comment from: Shirley, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: August 01

I received the vaccine a year ago, and at that time, I had no side effects. But now I have shingles anyway. It is definitely worth getting the vaccine if it will reduce the chances for shingles by even a small amount.

Shingles - Symptoms Question: What were the symptoms of your shingles?
Shingles - Treatment Question: What was the treatment for your shingles?
Shingles - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with shingles.
Shingles - Complications Question: Did you have complications that arose from shingles? Please describe your experience.