Patient Comments: Shingles - Vaccine

Please describe your experience with the shingles vaccine.

A Doctor's View on Shingles Prevention: Who Should Get the Vaccine?

The FDA approved the first vaccine for shingles, Zostavax, in 2006. No serious side effects have been linked to the shingles vaccine. Read the entire Doctor's View

Comment from: yyyguyyy, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: October 04

I received my shingles shot 4 days ago on advice of my family doctor. I have trigeminal neuralgia and the shingles virus could be tragic for me. Other than the above issue, I am a healthy but overweight, 56 year old male. I have a swollen bicep (injection site), pain, a hard lump approximately 3 to 4 inches at injection site, redness in the upper arm, very warm surface, very itchy, headache, upper stomach pains which feel like nausea and bowel moving at same time, joint pain, bad taste in mouth, and overall sick/ill feeling. I have been resting for 2 1/2 days hoping this gets better. I went online to see if anyone else experience the same side effects. I will be seeing my doctor today as this doesn't seem to be clearing up. I found, after researching all I could online about the shingle virus, that I would not get the vaccine shot at this point of my life. I feel that the USD 224.44 that I had to spend on the Zostavax vaccine, was a bad investment for me.

Comment from: Molly, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 27

I had a very mild case of shingles just before I turned 50. My doctor would not give me the vaccine, despite having shingles in the past, because I wasn't 60 yet. Our school system was giving flu and shingles vaccines and it was covered 100 percent by my insurance, so I got it. I'm glad I got it, but my arm is so painful at the injection site. A huge area, about the size of a donut, is red, hot, itchy and so swollen that it's hard as a rock. I know it's supposed to go in the fat in the back of the arm, but I wonder if he got it in muscle. I play tennis and have very strong arms. Ouch. If you get it, be sure they get it in the fat in the back of your arm. Maybe that will help lessen the pain.

Comment from: Catnip, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 02

I got the shingles shot January 2013. I started with this severe pain in my left side and then sensitivity to my waist. I never thought about shingles. Then 1 week later I broke out in rash. It went from the middle of my back to my belly button. I have never had such pain before. I can't sit, stand, or lie down. The pain is unbearable. If the shot doesn't totally prevent shingles, but is supposed to lessen the symptoms, I would definitely be afraid of what the pain would be like without the shot. This is horrible!

Comment from: Kat, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 26

I got the shingles vaccine shot just 2 weeks ago. For the next week, I ran a fever, and felt like I had the flu. Ache everywhere, and head hurt. Now itchy everywhere and little patches of raised bumps on back, arms and legs.

Comment from: cheryle, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 03

I received the shingles shot about 2 weeks ago. I have welts on my right arm with blisters. It itches like crazy.

Comment from: twistedpeach, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 26

Shingles is the most painful thing I have ever gone through; much worse than any surgery I have ever had and I've had a lot. Not only is it painful I can't put any clothing on and now that whole side of my body from my upper thigh to just to my ribs is numb. Along with the pain I have I also think the medication is causing me to not be able to urinate so now I have to take medicines for that. I wouldn't wish this on anyone ever! I also had the shingles vaccine!

Shingles - Symptoms Question: What were the symptoms of your shingles?
Shingles - Treatment Question: What was the treatment for your shingles?
Shingles - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with shingles.
Shingles - Complications Question: Did you have complications that arose from shingles? Please describe your experience.