Patient Comments: Shingles - Vaccine

Please describe your experience with the shingles vaccine.

Comment from: Jay, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 13

I got the shingles vaccine and one year later I have a case of shingles. The vaccine didn't help me.

Comment from: Deaconzeb, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: December 30

I had the shingles vaccine two years ago. Today I was diagnosed with shingles and the pain is very intense with involvement of the eye. In my case the vaccine did not work or the vaccine itself was manufactured incorrectly.

Comment from: Dizlib, 65-74 Female (Caregiver) Published: November 20

I got the shingles vacine last fall. I had no trouble at all...not even soreness around the injection site. However, my husband put it off and never got the shot. This week he was diagnosed with shingles and is in a lot of pain. GET THE SHOT.

Comment from: Debnky, 55-64 Female Published: November 20

I am 60 years old. The vaccine did not hurt one bit. Basically, they administer it on the fatty part of your arm. No problem, whatsoever. I got it because my granddaughter has leukemia and is in the hospital. We need to take every precaution.

Comment from: Shirley, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: August 01

I received the vaccine a year ago, and at that time, I had no side effects. But now I have shingles anyway. It is definitely worth getting the vaccine if it will reduce the chances for shingles by even a small amount.

Comment from: katmandu, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 28

It has been a nightmare trying to get the vaccine. If you are under age 60, you must have a prescription, pre-certified by the insurance company, and with no guarantees. I personally have had them (23) times in the past 10 years. I have also endured misdiagnosis – I have a staph infection in my sinuses and was treated for shingles. For your own sake, demand that your doctor take a culture before beginning treatment.

Comment from: 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 18

I received the shingles vaccine on Jan. 29, 2012, and was diagnosed with shingles on March 9, 2012. It was not severe, but still painful.

Comment from: kiara, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 21

I got a huge tender red lump at the injection site on my arm; and I dealt with headaches off and on for a week.

Shingles - Symptoms Question: What were the symptoms of your shingles?
Shingles - Treatment Question: What was the treatment for your shingles?
Shingles - Contagious Question: Please describe your experience with shingle contagious period.
Shingles - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with shingles.
Shingles - Complications Question: Please discuss your experience with complications that arise from shingles?
Shingles - Causes Question: What caused your shingles?