Patient Comments: Shingles - Treatment

What was the treatment for your shingles?

Comment from: cheryl, 65-74 Female (Caregiver) Published: December 19

I fell backward on the front porch on Monday, immediately my back and left rib pain ensued. Ibuprofen 600mg at mealtimes did not help. On Wednesday I went to the family doctor where x-rays were taken and Norco given. Thursday night pain worsened, with it starting at waistband center back and circled to umbilicus. By Sunday I went to the emergency room as I was now showing signs of the lesions. I had had herpes zoster in 1990, space of involvement and pain were much less. Today I went again to the primary care physician for change of medications: prednisone, acyclovir and nortriptyline were given. Hopefully tonight I will get some pain free sleep.

Comment from: Effie, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 20

I'm 56 years old. I talked to my doctor last year, and she gave me the shingles vaccine. Just last week, I came down with shingles for the first time ever. I was so surprised at the diagnosis, because the pain was nowhere near as bad as I had always heard or read about. Apparently, about 50% of people who have the vaccine can still get shingles, but with the vaccine, the pain is greatly reduced, the duration is much shorter, and the postherpetic pain is also greatly reduced. My doctor also started me on Valtrex within 48 hours of my first blister. Within 24 hours of starting the Valtrex, the pain and swelling were going away, and I didn't get any more blisters. I think the vaccine is just wonderful, and I'm so glad I had it. I think I'll give my doctor a big hug when I go in for my follow-up.

Comment from: psuedo, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: November 20

I'm 23 and I have shingles. I was so surprised to find out that's what the blisters in my eyes were. When I went to the doctor, I told her I had blisters in my eyes and some weird tingling pain around my eyebrows, which I thought was just an eye infection. Unfortunately, the doctor wasn't in and I had to see her PA, who sent me to the eyelid specialist; they diagnosed me with shingles but only gave me eyedrops. I had to wait till the doctor got in so I could get a prescription for famciclovir and some painkillers. Those were the most painful 24 hours of my life! After taking the correct medications, I have to say that I do feel a lot better now. The pain is still lingering, but it isn't as bad as it was.

Comment from: Good luck, 7-12 Female (Caregiver) Published: November 20

My daughter was 10 when shingles appeared. We did not know what it was until I took her to the doctors four days later. She felt the tingling start about two days before any of the bumps formed, and that's when we acted. The doctors gave us (Ichthammol Ointment 20%). This is a black, goopy looking substance or (salve for the older crowd) and prednisolone. This has worked for us; maybe they can work for you too. It's to the point now that she can take care of it on her own.

Comment from: Good luck, 7-12 Female (Caregiver) Published: November 19

My daughter was 10 when shingles appeared. We did not know what it was until I took her to the doctors four days later. She felt the tingling start about two days before any of the bumps formed and that™s when we acted. The doctors gave us (Ichthammol Ointment 20%). This is a black, goopy looking substance or (Salve for the older crowd) and Prednisolone. This has worked for us; maybe they can work for you too. It's to the point now that she can take care of it on her own.

Shingles - Symptoms Question: What were the symptoms of your shingles?
Shingles - Vaccine Question: Please describe your experience with the shingles vaccine.
Shingles - Contagious Question: Please describe your experience with shingle contagious period.
Shingles - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with shingles.