Patient Comments: Shingles - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your shingles?

Comment from: Chuck Powley, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: November 20

I am 69 years old. It took me a few days to get a doctor's appointment. He treated the pain, which had all the classic symptoms of shingles, with prednisone. This did not allow me to get any sleep, as the pain was constant. I went to the emergency where they diagnosed shingles. They gave me more prednisone, and Tylenol 3. I went back to my doctor, who prescribed Lyrica. The lack of sleep and pain problems are still with me.

Comment from: unknown, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 20

I was diagnosed with shingles on the bottom of my foot. I thought I had some type of bug bite (spider, maybe) with a reaction in the form of a rash next to it. It burned and itched terribly. I went to the doctor right away, and he said it was shingles. I was so surprised. The burning, itching, and pain are unbearable. I'm on an antiviral medication and Neurontin for nerve pain. The only thing that helps is icing it for 20 minutes on and 20 minutes off. It looks different than some of the photos I've seen; it's dark purple now (after six days) and looks like blood spots under the skin. It's less painful, but it still hurts and burns. Having it on the bottom of my foot makes it impossible to walk.

Comment from: DanC, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: November 20

I was doing some electric work at an apartment building we own. I had to back out of a small area, lost my balance, and fell on my right side. I began experiencing pain on that side and thought I had bruised or fractured a rib. Ibuprofen helped on the first sleepless night. I noticed a small rash, so went to an urgent care center and was diagnosed with shingles. I was treated with Valtrex and prednisone. The first day I had no relief but was glad I caught it early. That's the trick, I'm told. Ibuprofen doesn't help with the pain; it feels like someone kicked me in the right side and the pain is horrible. I never got the shingles vaccine...I'm sorry now. From what I read, it looks like I'll have about five more weeks of this dreaded disease.

Comment from: unknown, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 19

I was diagnosed with shingles on the bottom of my foot. I thought I had some type of bug bite (spider, maybe) with a reaction in the form of a rash next to it. It burned and itched terribly. I went to the doctor right away and he said it was shingles. I was so surprised. The burning, itching, and pain are unbearable. I'm on an antiviral medication and Neurontin for nerve pain. The only thing that helps is icing it for 20 minutes on / 20 minutes off. It looks different than some of the photos I've seen “ it™s dark purple now (after six days) and looks like blood spots under the skin. It's less painful, but still hurts and burns. Having it on the bottom of my foot makes it impossible to walk.

Comment from: DanC, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: November 19

I was doing some electric work at an apartment building we own. I had to back out of a small area, lost my balance, and fell on my right side. I began experiencing pain on that side and thought I had bruised or fractured a rib. Ibuprofen helped on the first sleepless night. I noticed a small rash, so went to an urgent care center and was diagnosed with shingles. I was treated with Valtrex and prednisone. The first day I had no relief, but was glad I caught it early. That™s the trick, I'm told. Ibuprofen doesn't help with the pain “ it feels like someone kicked me in the right side and the pain is horrible. I never got the shingles vaccine “ I™m sorry now. From what I read, it looks like I™ll have about 5 or 5 more weeks of this dreaded disease.

Shingles - Treatment Question: What was the treatment for your shingles?
Shingles - Vaccine Question: Please describe your experience with the shingles vaccine.
Shingles - Contagious Question: Please describe your experience with shingle contagious period.
Shingles - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with shingles.