Patient Comments: Shingles - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your shingles?

A Doctor's View on Shingles Symptoms and Signs

Read the Comment by Melissa Conrad Stöppler, MD

Shingles symptoms and signs include a painful blistering red rash along one nerve path on one side of your body. The pain is often described as burning, itching, or tingling. Shingles may also begin with flu-like symptoms such as fever and fatigue. Read the entire Doctor's View

Comment from: Uncle Slick, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: November 24

I am entering the sixth week of being diagnosed with severe shingles. My skin is clearing up and I am still experiencing throbbing intermittent pain. The rash was on the left side of torso, front, back and side. My problem is that after 6 weeks I am still unable to wear any clothing on my torso due to hypersensitivity of my areola.

Comment from: TooYoungForVaccine, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 02

I am 30 years old, and have had recurring shingles for 7 years now. This is the second time this year. Last year I had it about 4 times. The year before multiple times, as well as those prior. The first time it happened I was working in another country. The doctors diagnosed me and sent me on my way with medication. I stayed home from work for about a week. Some incidences have been worse than others not allowing me to continue on with daily activities. The last time I had shingles, they appeared on my leg, buttocks, and shoulder. I luckily do not have any of the severe pain each time but may feel like I have the flu and itching and tingling at the nerve ending. I wish I did not have to deal with this all my life and would like to be offered the option of the vaccine. They do not allow anyone younger than 59 have the vaccination. There are no known contraindications for that age limit in what I read on this site.

Comment from: DTolle, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 13

I woke up in the middle of the night with burning itchy feeling on my stomach and within a few hours it had spread onto my back, arms, legs, face, scalp and my feet. At first I thought it might be hives but they weren't welts but a red rash. It never got blistery but when the rash went away my right side of face and ear feels like nerve pain which I was having before the rash. I take lysine every day and this may be why I have a mild case and now I am doubling up on it.

Comment from: ginah, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 09

I am 45 years old and I started having itching and numbness in my right hip and around the front and into my groin area. I thought I had a pinched nerve for about 10 days. One day a friend suggested that maybe I had shingles but I laughed it off because there was no sign of a rash. On about day 10, I found 3 bumps that looks like bites but they were really irritated at the very top of my hip. Right then I knew it was shingles. I waited a couple of days just to be sure. It got worse with burning pain in the bumps and I found more bumps in that area. I didn't mention my suspicions to my doctor but he said he was pretty sure it was shingles even though the bumps weren't really blistering. They might have blistered just a bit. He put me on Valtrex. The next 2 days were very painful in my entire hip and in my groin. I felt sick and wiped out. The next few days I could feel improvement. It has been about 12 days since my rash started and I am mostly better, I think! I get a little bit of pain now and then but I get more itching than anything. I also get strange bruising in my groin, like maybe it's from nerve endings. I plan to ask my doctor about it at my follow up appointment in 3 days.

Comment from: Starling81, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 05

My shingles pain started as a slight internal irritation when I would breathe in. It felt like I slept wrong or strained something. I also had a patch under my arm that felt itchy/sensitive deep under the skin. Slowly over a week the pain increased and spread from my breast all around to my back. It hurt with every breath. I went to my doctor who gave me a steroid shot and I fully expected to get better. Instead I got much worse and 2 days later I woke up and noticed the rash. I immediately went back in and got the shingles diagnosis and medicines. The pain was so intense for about a week I could not sleep through the night, I had to keep ice on my back/side 24 hours a day. Slowly the deep gnawing internal pain went away and I could breathe again, however I had a burning/itching below the skin that was intense. I have had migraines, brief fever, throwing up, dizzy spells, muscle spasms and I felt extremely ill for about 2 weeks. As the rash is clearing up the itching/burning has intensified and I am hoping it will go away soon. I would not wish this pain on my worst enemy.

Shingles - Treatment Question: What was the treatment for your shingles?
Shingles - Vaccine Question: Please describe your experience with the shingles vaccine.
Shingles - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with shingles.
Shingles - Complications Question: Did you have complications that arose from shingles? Please describe your experience.