Patient Comments: Shingles - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your shingles?

A Doctor's View on Shingles Symptoms and Signs

Read the Comment by Melissa Conrad Stöppler, MD

Shingles symptoms and signs include a painful blistering red rash along one nerve path on one side of your body. The pain is often described as burning, itching, or tingling. Shingles may also begin with flu-like symptoms such as fever and fatigue. Read the entire Doctor's View

Comment from: tammi, Female (Patient) Published: January 19

In April 2015 I had Bell's palsy or Ramsay Hunt syndrome. Since then I have had vertigo and now shingles on the back of my neck. My shingles has not produced a rash or blisters, just itchy burning pain. Months prior to the Bell's palsy my ear would tingle and itch, still does from time to time. I get little ticks like electric shocks in various places, mostly upper torso. I am just about at my wits' end. I had the shingles vaccine and still is all this is happening. My doctor and neurologist don't seem to know what to do. I am tired of being exhausted and dizzy.

Comment from: Wicked disease, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 15

On Christmas Eve I had sores on the right side of my scalp. Thinking it was spider bites, I thought it will resolve on its own. However, 3 days later, the sores (vesicles) appeared on the right side of my scalp to above my ear and down my neck. I went to my doctor who diagnosed shingles right away. I had my shingles shot 7 years ago. My doctor said the shingles shot does not totally prevent the disease. If you get the shingles, the duration and severity are decreased by over 50 percent.

Comment from: Jackie, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 12

I know of a few family members who had shingles but like most things in life until you experience it you don't know how bad it is. My back was aching for a few days but then the rash appeared. It went from the middle of my back to the middle of my front covering my left breast. I have never experienced pain like it. My head felt like it was going to explode, I didn't know what to do with my legs, the pain was that bad. I felt like I had a really bad dose of flu, also I felt like I needed to scratch all the time which was very painful but it was very hard to control not to. I wouldn't wish shingles on my worst enemy and I have a strong pain threshold.

Comment from: MG, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: December 22

My symptoms started about two weeks prior to the diagnosis of shingles. I started first with a stiff neck, back ache and unexplained headache, I couldn't seat or stand up for a long time. One day on a Tuesday morning after getting out of the shower I noticed I had three spots that looked like little pimples. I thought that was weird, and on Wednesday I had them more visible so I thought I should get them checked out, not because the rash was bothering me but because I wasn't feeling well at all. Finally on Thursday afternoon I went to see the doctor and it was confirmed I had shingles, doctor prescribed antibiotics of 800 mg 4 times a day. The rash spread out fast from my belly button to my left torso and a few rash on my left leg. I used 2 to 3 different medications because one my body rejected and the other one insurance declined. After 4 months I'm still battling with post herpetic nerve damage. I have used lidocaine patches and now I'm trying the ointment. I feel much better than a month ago but I'm currently still not the same I was before I had shingles. I'm still hoping to fully recover someday!

Comment from: Uncle Slick, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: November 24

I am entering the sixth week of being diagnosed with severe shingles. My skin is clearing up and I am still experiencing throbbing intermittent pain. The rash was on the left side of torso, front, back and side. My problem is that after 6 weeks I am still unable to wear any clothing on my torso due to hypersensitivity of my areola.

Comment from: TooYoungForVaccine, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 02

I am 30 years old, and have had recurring shingles for 7 years now. This is the second time this year. Last year I had it about 4 times. The year before multiple times, as well as those prior. The first time it happened I was working in another country. The doctors diagnosed me and sent me on my way with medication. I stayed home from work for about a week. Some incidences have been worse than others not allowing me to continue on with daily activities. The last time I had shingles, they appeared on my leg, buttocks, and shoulder. I luckily do not have any of the severe pain each time but may feel like I have the flu and itching and tingling at the nerve ending. I wish I did not have to deal with this all my life and would like to be offered the option of the vaccine. They do not allow anyone younger than 59 have the vaccination. There are no known contraindications for that age limit in what I read on this site.

Shingles - Treatment Question: What was the treatment for your shingles?
Shingles - Vaccine Question: Please describe your experience with the shingles vaccine.
Shingles - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with shingles.
Shingles - Complications Question: Did you have complications that arose from shingles? Please describe your experience.