Patient Comments: Shingles - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your shingles?

A Doctor's View on Shingles Symptoms and Signs

Read the Comment by Melissa Conrad Stöppler, MD

Shingles symptoms and signs include a painful blistering red rash along one nerve path on one side of your body. The pain is often described as burning, itching, or tingling. Shingles may also begin with flu-like symptoms such as fever and fatigue.. Read the entire Doctor's View

Comment from: Angee, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 03

I have had shingles for 6 years now. At first one doctor thought the itch was a problem with my spine then another doctor said it was fibromyalgia. I now know it is shingles as I have pain at night and wake up with sore neck and shoulders, rib pain and wrist and ankle pain. For pain I get some relief from natural MSM (methylsulfonylmethane) sulphur, DMSO (dimethyl sulfoxide), and capsaicin cream. My symptoms are chill/fever and cold; flannel seems to soothe pain. I do not get rash. I also take amitriptyline in small dose, daily 10 mg, which blocks the pain receptors and makes me sleep at night. It is an antidepressant and is very mild at 10 mg per day. I get fluid in my ears and heat fever. I wake up feeling terrible. Good luck, shingles needs to be diagnosed and medicated as soon as possible otherwise it will return fiercer then before and stay with you longer. I still have it.

Comment from: Fras, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: August 05

I am a 56 year old male. I had some headaches, then some sensitivity to light as I needed sunglasses sometimes outside, for about a month. I had stabbing pain in the right side below my rib cage and in the rib cage in the nighttime. I woke up like there was a knot in my rib cage. Getting in and out of chair triggered excruciating pain and walking up and down stairs the pain got so bad. I went to the doctor and was treated for torn oblique muscles. Then about a week later two spots appeared with 3 little dots in them itchy and burning. I went back to the doctor, who diagnosed shingles and put me on the medicines. I am healing nicely after only two days, so far so good.

Comment from: ani, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: June 01

I started hurting in my lower shoulder blade and the pain ran through my chest wall, I felt I might have a pocket of gas or water in my lungs. The pain kept me awake through the night. The next day, I had a small eruption of blister in the middle of my back, but the worst part of shingles is the sensitivity of my skin from back around under the arm pit and toward the front of chest. It hurts to breathe and does not ease up. It feels like I have a really bad case of fluid in my lungs. I went to the doctors and was given valacyclovir hydrochloride 1 gram to be taken 3 times a day. Skin is very sensitive but internal chest pain is the worse part. I think I could stand the blisters and the skin sensitively but the pain from back through chest wall is the worst.

Comment from: Annabelle, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 31

I had a small rash on my left side of my neck and a tiny spot on my chin (left side). It hurt to touch and I also had an ear ache. The pain in my ear kept me up crying in pain, I couldn't stand it. I was given Lyrica for my shingles which did help as well as a cream. The rash cleared quickly which surprised the doctor. It has been less than 8 weeks but I still suffer pain behind my left ear, and skull pain on the left side is at times bad. I have several medical conditions and I am in pain all the time but this pain was beyond severe. At the first sign of a painful tiny rash see someone.

Shingles - Treatment Question: What was the treatment for your shingles?
Shingles - Vaccine Question: Please describe your experience with the shingles vaccine.
Shingles - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with shingles.
Shingles - Complications Question: Did you have complications that arose from shingles? Please describe your experience.