Patient Comments: Shingles - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your shingles?

A Doctor's View on Shingles Symptoms and Signs

Read the Comment by Melissa Conrad Stöppler, MD

Shingles symptoms and signs include a painful blistering red rash along one nerve path on one side of your body. The pain is often described as burning, itching, or tingling. Shingles may also begin with flu-like symptoms such as fever and fatigue. Read the entire Doctor's View

Comment from: 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 02

About 10 days ago, I had some "bites" appear on my left breast, I just put some tea tree cream on as that usually works for the itching. But it didn't. My neighbor thought they were spider bites so I went to the pharmacy and got some broad spectrum antibiotics as they were looking a bit infected. Three days ago, I couldn't touch my breasts they were so tender and painful, a tingling/pins and needles/numb pain that had spread to my left shoulder blade. Doctor confirmed this morning I have herpes on my left breast and prescribed Zovirax cream and Valtrex, hope it kicks in soon!

Comment from: richbgmac, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: May 30

I was diagnosed with shingles within 4 days of discovering an irregularity near the spine in the small of my back. Within about 24 hours the lesions on my skin spread toward my left side and eventually near my navel. The stabbing pains were excruciating! I felt like a thousand pins and knives were relentlessly stabbing me. The only effective medication was a 6 hour regimen of Vicodin and Tylenol, but the narcotic effect of Vicodin disrupted my system. I suffered with a high level of intense pain daily for almost 10 weeks! Today most of the pain and skin lesions have subsided. Now I have extreme shooting pains just below my navel every day! A recent CT scan ruled out kidney stones. So I don"t know what this could be now! The doctor did mention something about a neuropathy that could linger after shingles and last from 90 days to years. Sure hope it"s not that. I have endured extreme/sharp pain almost 2 months.

Comment from: Nexus4, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: April 17

I only have 1 blister in the middle of my abdomen above the belly button with a larger patch of red skin. Another reddish patch a few inches lower but no blisters. It"s not the pain of shingles, but the overall lethargy even after 2 weeks. I have been groggy for almost a week, followed by general tiredness. In fact it"s not painful until after the blister broke and only felt like a cigarette burn blister. I have never felt so lethargic in my entire life, worse than my perforated appendix when I spent 2 weeks in hospital.

Comment from: Jeanne6101, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 26

A few days before I broke out in shingles, my shoulder and bicep area was very painful. I was very tired and had been fighting migraines for almost 4 months. I developed a rash on my upper left arm, and two days later, on my inner left hand that looked like insect bites. I went to doctor and she diagnosed me with shingles. She said, one reason I probably was not hurting so much was because I was on Medrol for migraines. I am on medication for shingles and pain!

Comment from: john the sheriff, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: December 13

I noticed what I thought were spider bites on the lower right side of my back, but they wouldn't go away. Then I started to feel a pain on the right side of my back and stomach that got steadily worse. After 1- 1/2 weeks I saw a doctor and he said I had shingles and prescribed 500mg valacyclovir 3 times a day. After 1 week there is no change in the pain, I will see my local neurologist tomorrow.

Comment from: Wisconsinhurting, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 01

I had a sore rib for a few days. After that a red rash appeared in splotches, then "filled in" more. After 2 to 3 days it blistered and now scabbed over, but is still red and painful.

Comment from: lenox123, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

I developed three strange small bumps at the end of one of my eyebrows. They looked like pimples but didn't go away. They were in a line close together. A week or two later I went to work and with no advance notice I had INCREDIBLE pain in my spine near my butt. It was such horrible pain that I seriously could not walk. I knew something was very wrong and went straight to the doctor's. It took me 45 minutes to get to my car with baby steps, the pain was so intense. When I told the doctor I couldn't move or walk because of this pain that came on without notice she saw the three bumps near my eyebrow in a line. She immediately told me I had shingles INSIDE rather than outside. She said occasionally the rash is inside your body and she said my pain must have been intense. I know for certain stress brought this on 100%. I was told to get good rest and manage my stress to avoid future outbreaks. This was five years ago.

Shingles - Treatment Question: What was the treatment for your shingles?
Shingles - Vaccine Question: Please describe your experience with the shingles vaccine.
Shingles - Contagious Question: Please describe your experience with shingle contagious period.
Shingles - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with shingles.
Shingles - Complications Question: Please discuss your experience with complications that arise from shingles?
Shingles - Causes Question: What caused your shingles?