Patient Comments: Shingles - Pain

Please discuss your experience with pain caused by shingles.

Comment from: 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 29

My rash started on my right side below my belly button stretching from the front to the back. I first thought it was a rash from jeans. I started to experience severe gastritis, which made the experience all the more painful. I couldn't eat due to the pain, sleep or walk straight. After two weeks I went to my doctor who then diagnose it as shingles. He prescribe an anti-viral medication called acyclover 400MG. The medication seemed to take for- ever, not to mention not eating. I lost around 15 pounds in two months. Its now a little over 2 and half months, I have small dark circular spots that are still sensitive to the touch. Felling better.

Comment from: KJLN, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 28

I am a 40-year-old female. About 18 days ago I was diagnosed by my ophthalmologist with shingles. I went to the eye doctor because I was having pain when I moved my left eye and a weird headache between both eyes. I also had a very swollen lymph node behind my right ear. I had not noticed a rash, but there was a faint scratch mark on my forehead. He immediately told me I had shingles. The mark over the next few days turned into a rash, covering the top 1/4th of my face. It went into my hairline and stopped at my eyelid. After visiting him, I began having incredible eye pain – like a railroad spike being pounded in my eye every three seconds. I was on antiviral meds and was able to get Tylenol with Codeine, which helped me tremendously. About a week ago, I was feeling much better, but now my eye is watering constantly, I have a burning pain, and am very sensitive to light. I am going back to the eye doctor. This is a very difficult condition to be in.

Comment from: barbie37, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 17

I had shingles almost a year ago in my left eye. The doctor said I should have lost my sight in that eye, but I was fortunate and didn't. Now I have postherpetic neuralgia, which is horrible. My eye hurts all the time, I have to go to a pain management center, and am on narcotics and other drugs. This is not a good time.

Comment from: GeekBoy, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: May 13

Pain – I had it on my face and, periodically, once a day on the average, I felt like my face was on fire for about 30 seconds. Then another time it felt like it was on fire for 1 ½ minutes (I had a friend time it). I tried Lyrica, which made me dizzy and put me to sleep. It's been three months and parts of my face are still numb. The horrible pain stopped after two weeks. Now I get some under-skin tingling and it feels like a periodic mild electric shock.

Comment from: TEFORME1, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 02

I have had severe pain that acted like lumbar pain for seven days now. I had to go to emergency care twice and was treated with morphine. Since I have chronic low back pain, the pain was excruciating. It robbed me of sleep, and today I have a rash. I went to the doctor immediately, who confirmed it is shingles. I already had an SI joint injection scheduled, since it mimicked SI joint pain. So, I am happy (well, at least for me) that I don't have to have an unnecessary injection.

Comment from: SandraS, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 06

Three months ago I had severe pain in my right side and a small two inch rash in the center of my abdomen. I went to the doctors the very next day where I was diagnosed with shingles. He prescribed acyclovir tabs and cream, Nolotil (for pain) Nervobion (vitamin). Also at my first and subsequent visits in the first two weeks I had injections of Voltaren and Nolotil for the pain. Since then I have started Lyrica and Carbamazepine. The blisters did not expand so fortunately I did not have them to contend with but the pain has never really gone. All the drugs have taken the edge off it, but now it seems to be getting bad again. I am still under the doctors and he has now prescribed stronger Nolotil 575mg.

Shingles - Symptoms Question: What were the symptoms of your shingles?
Shingles - Treatment Question: What was the treatment for your shingles?
Shingles - Vaccine Question: Please describe your experience with the shingles vaccine.
Shingles - Contagious Question: Please describe your experience with shingle contagious period.
Shingles - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with shingles.
Shingles - Complications Question: Please discuss your experience with complications that arise from shingles?
Shingles - Causes Question: What caused your shingles?